Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

I really love this forum. This isn't me being facetious either. I love how often we have complained about letting go of late round picks over the years. 

That Marcus Cooper dude really is a superstar, right?

• Like 2

Haven’t read back beyond this page but with Cordy Glenn having issues with how he was treated coming back from injury with the Bengals how would you guys feel about adding him before the trade deadline. Would give us a viable starter at OT while McG and Staley healed up and could probably fairly effortlessly slide into OG upon their return. Person and Tomlinson are ok starters, although still struggle during stretches, it would seem but still nothing I’d want as a long term starter personally. 

He’s got one more year beyond this year on his contract for 9 mil. Could allow us to find a replacement via the draft over the next two drafts while giving us depth on the interior by pushing Tomlinson or Person down to our “swing OG” role. 

It seems the more desired trade is for a WR before the deadline but this team needs it’s OL to be absolutely solid down the stretch with how often we run and Jimmy G’s play when allowed time vs being hurried. What do you guys think? 

Edited by Fureys49ers

12 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Haven’t read back beyond this page but with Cordy Glenn having issues with how he was treated coming back from injury with the Bengals how would you guys feel about adding him before the trade deadline. Would give us a viable starter at OT while McG and Staley healed up and could probably fairly effortlessly slide into OG upon their return. Person and Tomlinson are ok starters, although still struggle during stretches, it would seem but still nothing I’d want as a long term starter personally. 

He’s got one more year beyond this year on his contract for 9 mil. Could allow us to find a replacement via the draft over the next two drafts while giving us depth on the interior by pushing Tomlinson or Person down to our “swing OG” role. 

It seems the more desired trade is for a WR before the deadline but this team needs it’s OL to be absolutely solid down the stretch with how often we run and Jimmy G’s play when allowed time vs being hurried. What do you guys think? 

I'll pass. Staley might be back next week against the Panthers, but more likely the following week against the Cardinals. McGlinchey recently said he is aiming for a week later against the Seahawks. And none of the three have ever played guard (minus McGlinchey in his first game by emergency). The OL is fine. I do hope we draft someone to compete with Person, but that is as far as I want to go there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

I'll pass. Staley might be back next week against the Panthers, but more likely the following week against the Cardinals. McGlinchey recently said he is aiming for a week later against the Seahawks. And none of the three have ever played guard (minus McGlinchey in his first game by emergency). The OL is fine. I do hope we draft someone to compete with Person, but that is as far as I want to go there.

The price would have to be pretty cheap for me, like a 4th as the most I’d give up, and while Glenn hasn’t played OG in the NFL he started over 30 games at OG at Georgia so he’s not completely unfamiliar with it. His size and strengths I’ve always felt would be best utilized there. I do understand the hesitation, I still don’t trust the IOL all that much have been wanting to upgrade at OG, and even C, for the past two seasons. Seems to be a cheap way to address that with a proven player on a year and a half rental.

That said, with the Broncos getting blown out with a Mahomes less Chiefs for more than half the game, should be interesting to see if Elway can put aside his pride and ego for a second and admit to this season being a wash and trade some of the older vets.

2 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

The price would have to be pretty cheap for me, like a 4th as the most I’d give up, and while Glenn hasn’t played OG in the NFL he started over 30 games at OG at Georgia so he’s not completely unfamiliar with it. His size and strengths I’ve always felt would be best utilized there. I do understand the hesitation, I still don’t trust the IOL all that much have been wanting to upgrade at OG, and even C, for the past two seasons. Seems to be a cheap way to address that with a proven player on a year and a half rental.

That said, with the Broncos getting blown out with a Mahomes less Chiefs for more than half the game, should be interesting to see if Elway can put aside his pride and ego for a second and admit to this season being a wash and trade some of the older vets.

I get where you are going with Glenn. I just don't know that it's necessary, or even a positive step. Your compensation is fine. I'm admittedly not disappointed in our interior at all. Richburg has been great now that he's healthy. Tomlinson is a guy I like a lot. Person I'd like better as a backup, but I think he's fine for now. 

Realistically, as with most position groups, you're never going to get studs across the entire line. We're paying Staley and Richburg big numbers, and we'll do the same for a while with McGlinchey. Supplementing them with solid, if unspectacular pieces like Tomlinson and Person who fit well with the system is pretty ideal, really. 

I don't know how the team would take it, after performing so well, to see the FO bring in another OL to replace someone who's playing well mid-season. That sends a very weird message. It's not like replacing Person in the offseason. That's fair. But there's a certain locker room implication, here. If we were 3-3 and struggling, then sure. And if we were talking about a position that allows for rotation, sure. But trading for an OL right now is not the best idea.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What would you guys be willing to give up for Keenan Allen if he is made available? He's signed through next season with a very modest contract for his skill level. 

I saw that rumor yesterday. No way in the world do I believe he's actually available. It doesn't make sense to me unless Rivers told them it was his last season or something. Looking at first +

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What would you guys be willing to give up for Keenan Allen if he is made available? He's signed through next season with a very modest contract for his skill level. 

I'd give up a first pretty easily if it was just that. maybe package a guy like Solomon Thomas/Beathard and a pick if its attractive to LAC.