Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

51 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

@tyler735 I agree with pretty much everything this last page. But it bothers me you don’t hold the same supporting-cast precedent to your own players - especially Michael Thomas.

Not to get too far off topic. There is no doubt Michael Thomas plays in an excellent system for his abilities. However, as I said with Gurley as well, I still view Thomas as a top 5 type guy, likely 5th in my rankings (Gurley probably a bit higher).

Even if you don't view him as a top 5 guy, I don't think it's an absurd claim for me to make, as I think most would claim Thomas is on a similar level to several WR's in that 5-8 range that's a bit of a logjam right now. His crazy catch percentage isn't just Brees. Michael Thomas consistently makes tough catches. I'd also argue several other top WR's benefit quite a bit from their system. 

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 11:36 PM, tyler735 said:

Currently Gurley is 4th in yards from scrimmage, Kamara is 5th. Gurley is 1st in touchdowns, Kamara is 2nd. They are both putting up near top of the league statistical years in terms of yards and touchdowns.

Total Rushing Receiving
Player Team Pos Gms Yds YPG Yds YPG Yds YPG
Ezekiel Elliott DAL RB 15 2,001 133.4 1,434 95.6 567 37.8
Christian McCaffrey CAR RB 15 1,925 128.3 1,080 72.0 845 56.3
Saquon Barkley NYG RB 15 1,886 125.7 1,198 79.9 688 45.9
Todd Gurley LA RB 14 1,831 130.8 1,251 89.4 580 41.4
Alvin Kamara NO RB 15 1,592 106.1 883 58.9 709 47.3

Yes except the top 4 are far and away from the 5th. Can't refute the Touchdown matter except that the Giants and Cowboys don't have offensive geniuses such as Sean McVay and Sean Payton.... Damn, maybe everyone should just hire offensive minds that are named Sean!

On 12/24/2018 at 12:14 AM, GSUeagles14 said:

really the one relevant stat you included, % of stacked boxes, needs to be fleshed out further. if the rams arent playing a fb and/or multiple tes to block then its not necesarily an advantage. youre tacking away a blocker and the defense moves someone out of the box, essentially a wash.

% of snaps going against 8+ in the box.

Kamara - 22.16%
Barkley - 22.54%
Elliot - 24.67%
Gurley - 8.20% 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

% of snaps going against 8+ in the box.

Kamara - 22.16%
Barkley - 22.54%
Elliot - 24.67%
Gurley - 8.20% 

That's also part of the weapons. Rams WR's >>>>>>>>>>> Saints. 

I do feels like loosing Kupp has hurt us a ton because of his blocking. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:
    Total Rushing Receiving
Player Team Pos Gms Yds YPG Yds YPG Yds YPG
Ezekiel Elliott DAL RB 15 2,001 133.4 1,434 95.6 567 37.8
Christian McCaffrey CAR RB 15 1,925 128.3 1,080 72.0 845 56.3
Saquon Barkley NYG RB 15 1,886 125.7 1,198 79.9 688 45.9
Todd Gurley LA RB 14 1,831 130.8 1,251 89.4 580 41.4
Alvin Kamara NO RB 15 1,592 106.1 883 58.9 709 47.3

Yes except the top 4 are far and away from the 5th. Can't refute the Touchdown matter except that the Giants and Cowboys don't have offensive geniuses such as Sean McVay and Sean Payton.... Damn, maybe everyone should just hire offensive minds that are named Sean!

Gurley has missed a game. and his game against Chi is basically mia as well lol. 

4 minutes ago, El ramster said:

That's also part of the weapons. Rams WR's >>>>>>>>>>> Saints. 

I do feels like loosing Kupp has hurt us a ton because of his blocking. 

I'm aware of that, but it doesn't change that it does make it easier for Gurley. All considered. No I don't think Kamara is in the same tier as the top 3. Kamara is in the LeVeon Bell, Christian McCaffery and Melvin Gordon tier.

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'm aware of that, but it doesn't change that it does make it easier for Gurley. All considered. No I don't think Kamara is in the same tier as the top 3. Kamara is in the LeVeon Bell, Christian McCaffery and Melvin Gordon tier.

Nah I feel you. Just that context matters. Also, Mcvay is just so dumb with the run game. See last years eagles game. Which gets frustrating that he abandons it so early. But hey we are where we are because of him. Just mad annoying tbh. Oh 3 negative runs? That’s it chuck it all game long. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Wasn’t Bell considered the best RB in the NFL as recently as last year? There’s lots of subjectivity when it comes to these ranking lists...and they are very prone to a variety of biases including recency bias. 

41 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Wasn’t Bell considered the best RB in the NFL as recently as last year? There’s lots of subjectivity when it comes to these ranking lists...and they are very prone to a variety of biases including recency bias. 

I'll be honest, I always considered him overrated (not bad, just overrated). James Conner's performance when healthy, has reaffirmed my stance on that in my mind.

13 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'll be honest, I always considered him overrated (not bad, just overrated). James Conner's performance when healthy, has reaffirmed my stance on that in my mind.

I don’t think that’s fair. Conner is a good RB. Is Gurley no longer good because CJ Anderson just ran for 170 yards and 2 TDs.  Conner is much better than CJ. 

On 2018-12-25 at 12:55 PM, tyler735 said:

Not to get too far off topic. There is no doubt Michael Thomas plays in an excellent system for his abilities. However, as I said with Gurley as well, I still view Thomas as a top 5 type guy, likely 5th in my rankings (Gurley probably a bit higher).

Even if you don't view him as a top 5 guy, I don't think it's an absurd claim for me to make, as I think most would claim Thomas is on a similar level to several WR's in that 5-8 range that's a bit of a logjam right now. His crazy catch percentage isn't just Brees. Michael Thomas consistently makes tough catches. I'd also argue several other top WR's benefit quite a bit from their system. 

Calling him top 5 is backpedaling a bit from what I can remember. I recall him being touted as top 3 or “playing like the best receiver in the league”. Which is ironic when discussing supporting-cast because when Brees cooled off, so did the Thomas hype train.

• Like 2

It's been reported that Gurley hurt his knee week 1. Which is why he hasn't been hurdling. Pretty wild that he's been hurt this whole time. 

https://www.thescore.com/news/1686711?utm_source=chatbot&utm_medium=messenger&utm_campaign=news&fbclid=IwAR22MSjZ80SCwm8Y9BHimXdSLDITwH-0viBC515szguJV_Y01Aj3I1G9mYg

Todd Gurley on his knee injury which actually occurred in week 1: ”It was bad. I was contemplating on giving the rams back their money and everything. It was bad. It was real bad.”

Edited by El ramster

1 hour ago, El ramster said:

It's been reported that Gurley hurt his knee week 1. Which is why he hasn't been hurdling. Pretty wild that he's been hurt this whole time. 

https://www.thescore.com/news/1686711?utm_source=chatbot&utm_medium=messenger&utm_campaign=news&fbclid=-0viBC515szguJV_Y01Aj3I1G9mYg

Todd Gurley on his knee injury which actually occurred in week 1: ”It was bad. I was contemplating on giving the rams back their money and everything. It was bad. It was real bad.”

Must not have been hurt too bad.