Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

On 12/27/2018 at 1:32 PM, Danger said:

I'm aware of that, but it doesn't change that it does make it easier for Gurley. All considered. No I don't think Kamara is in the same tier as the top 3. Kamara is in the LeVeon Bell, Christian McCaffery and Melvin Gordon tier.

as i already mentioned, it doesnt necessarily make  it easier. if he the rams are taking out traditional run blockers in lieu of another wr out wide, then its pretty much a wash. What % of gurley runs come with no te or fb compared with kamara and others. Then we would really be getting somewhere. 

2 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

as i already mentioned, it doesnt necessarily make  it easier. if he the rams are taking out traditional run blockers in lieu of another wr out wide, then its pretty much a wash. What % of gurley runs come with no te or fb compared with kamara and others. Then we would really be getting somewhere. 

It's really not a wash. Most runningbacks prefer the more style. Fewer people in general makes their job easier. Sure, having more blockers vs fewer defenders is beneficial, but a Runningback would much rather run against 5 blockers to 7 defenders than 7 blockers to 9 defenders. More open space in general is better for them.

• Like 1

CJ Anderson with over 300 yards from scrimmage and 2 touchdowns the past 2 weeks. Definitely seems to provide further evidence (as I mentioned earlier in this thread) that the Rams system is one of the most, if not most RB friendly system in the NFL.

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

CJ Anderson with over 300 yards from scrimmage and 2 touchdowns the past 2 weeks. Definitely seems to provide further evidence (as I mentioned earlier in this thread) that the Rams system is one of the most, if not most RB friendly system in the NFL.

Look who they played. 

16 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

The Cardinals team that Gurley rushed 19 times for 42 yards against, and the 49ers team that Gurley rushed 15 times for 63 yards against? 

Time of year. But hey I get it. That there axe to grind and in the cards game Gurley had 3 TDS and rested him the second half.. But keep on having that imagination, Willy wonka would be jealous. 

10 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Time of year. But hey I get it. That there axe to grind and in the cards game Gurley had 3 TDS and rested him the second half.. But keep on having that imagination, Willy wonka would be jealous. 

Imagination? How so? 

So they ran him 19 times and he had 42 yards, but I'm supposed to believe they rested him the 2nd half? They gave him a full games touches but did rest him the 4th quarter. This is a bit beside the point though as it doesn't change the main point I've been making in regards to the Rams system. CJ Anderson has looked great behind that line. CJ Anderson is a JAG at RB. Point being, the Rams system is a Runningback's dream right now.

Edited by tyler735

K season is over and once again Ezekiel Elliot leads all backs in rushing yards and total yards despite being coached by Bud Kilmer who deliberately never includes him when the team is within the redzone. This including dealing with a QB all of you mock for being below average as well as dealing with a seriously dinged up line. Missed Fredbeard for the entire season, dealt with a walk on FA at LG and Cameron Fleming constantly having to sub for Tyron multiple times per game.

So we have a guy that has 2 rushing titles and more then likely would have been 3 had he not been a scapegoat for a piss poor Commissioner, and has been the focul point of every defensive strategy every game he's in. Dude is just a baller and has easily been the most successful runner since entering the league.

Should rename the thread "Zeke is the best Running Back in the NFL".

37 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

K season is over and once again Ezekiel Elliot leads all backs in rushing yards and total yards despite being coached by Bud Kilmer who deliberately never includes him when the team is within the redzone. This including dealing with a QB all of you mock for being below average as well as dealing with a seriously dinged up line.

If there is one thing Dak brings that guys like Brees/Goff/Eli Manning don't (QB's of teams with top RB's) is athleticism to extend plays with his feet. In 3 years Dak has substantially more rushing yards than Brees and Eli Manning have in their careers (Obviously Goff as well). Why is this important? Defenses have to game-plan differently against mobile QB's. Look at what is happening with the Ravens offense since they switched from a statue of a passer in Flacco to a very raw passing Lamar Jackson. They have turned into one of the most effective rushing offenses in the NFL since making the switch. This has happened several times with more mobile QB's behind center. Vince Young helped out the Titans run game despite being a bad QB (Chris Johnson's 2,000 yard season was when Vince Young was their starter). Robert Griffin helped the Redskins running game when he came into the league (Alfred Morris was significantly more effective when Robert Griffin was QB compared to Cousins). It's nice having a QB like Brees or Goff to help open things up, but having a mobile QB like Prescott can also help quite a bit. The former is going to make for an overall more potent offense as the passing game is going to typically be much more dynamic, but I don't think it presents that much of a hardship for a RB having to play with a guy like Dak especially with a very talented OL like the Cowboys have had for years.

The Cowboys like the Rams and Saints also feature a very talented OL even if they have been dinged up much like the Saints have dealt with this year.

Missed Fredbeard for the entire season, dealt with a walk on FA at LG and Cameron Fleming constantly having to sub for Tyron multiple times per game.

So we have a guy that has 2 rushing titles and more then likely would have been 3 had he not been a scapegoat for a piss poor Commissioner, and has been the focul point of every defensive strategy every game he's in. Dude is just a baller and has easily been the most successful runner since entering the league.

Should rename the thread "Zeke is the best Running Back in the NFL".

Zeke is undoubtedly among the best in the NFL. I don't think much separates Elliott, Gurley, Kamara, and Bell. If there was one guy I had to put on top it would likely be Barkley. He has been the most impressive to watch and he has done superb playing in the worst situation of the top RB's.

Edited by tyler735

Just now, tyler735 said:

If there is one thing Dak brings that guys like Brees/Goff/Eli Manning don't (QB's of teams with top RB's) is athleticism to extend plays with his feet. In 3 years Dak has substantially more rushing yards than Brees and Eli Manning have in their careers (Obviously Goff as well). Why is this important? Defenses have to game-plan differently against mobile QB's. Look at what is happening with the Ravens offense since they switched from a statue of a passer in Flacco to a very raw passing Lamar Jackson. They have turned into one of the most effective rushing offenses in the NFL since making the switch. This has happened several times with more mobile QB's behind center. Vince Young helped out the Titans run game despite being a bad QB (Chris Johnson's 2,000 yard season was when Vince Young was their starter). Robert Griffin helped the Redskins running game when he came into the league (Alfred Morris was significantly more effective when Robert Griffin was QB compared to Cousins). It's nice having a QB like Brees or Goff to help open things up, but having a mobile QB can also help quite a bit. The former is going to make for an overall more potent offense as the passing game is going to typically be much more dynamic, but I don't think it presents the much of a hardship for a RB having to play with a guy like Dak especially with a very talented OL.

The Cowboys like the Rams and Saints also feature a very talented OL even if they have been dinged up much like the Saints have dealt with this year.

?????? Did you just try to make the argument Dak brings more to the table then Brees and Goff?

6 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

?????? Did you just try to make the argument Dak brings more to the table then Brees and Goff?

As an overall QB. Absolutely not. However, I'd argue that Lamar Jackson doesn't bring nearly as much at QB to Brees or Goff, but as far as benefiting his team's overall run game. Yep he does. If you are going to sit and pretend that Dak's mobility doesn't play a positive influence in the success of the Cowboys run game. That's on you. I've cited multiple examples of mobile QB's that sucked as passers playing a big role in helping their teams run games. By helping run games I don't just mean the QB ran for yards, but rather the RB's experienced an increase in success with them behind center due to the threat of them making plays with their legs.

Edited by tyler735