Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The opening scene of A Knight's Tale supposes that the guitar riff at the end of We Will Rock You is coming from about a dozen men playing brass wind instruments without any valves. They perform a choreographed dance in a castle ballroom in the 14th century to David Bowie. And it rules. Sure, period specific scores are fine sometimes, but I want to be entertained first and foremost, like @THE DUKE said, especially from a sequel to the movie that specifically posed the question "are you not entertained?".

A very different kind of movie than Gladiator though, modern music in that setting was literally part of the kitsch of A Knight's Tale, whereas I don't think Hans Zimmer took any inspiration from Bawitdaba for the Gladiator score.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

A very different kind of movie than Gladiator though, modern music in that setting was literally part of the kitsch of A Knight's Tale, whereas I don't think Hans Zimmer took any inspiration from Bawitdaba for the Gladiator score.

Sure, I'm not arguing that. My point is that 'anachronistic music' really doesn't matter so long as it is cool and interesting.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 1:30 AM, Malfatron said:

Toxic Avenger anyone?

This was my favorite movie about 20 years ago and it still holds up 

Feels like the reboot will do it justice. Has a similar tone.

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/7/10/macon-blairs-the-toxic-avenger-deemed-unreleasable 

I reached out to a producer, and they tell me the film “unreleasable” and that its commercial prospects are “too out there” for theatrical release. They believe that if the film does get picked up it would most likely go straight to VOD or streaming.

If it had great reviews then maybe the forecast would be a little rosier, but there isn’t much potential. It’s too niche. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see it on Tubi a few years from now.

Filmmaker and producer Adam Masnyk recently went on Twitter/X and confirmed that the film has been deemed “not safe enough to market,” which he claims is why no one has stepped up to distribute it. When all is said and done, it could maybe even turn out to be “lost media.”

This is factual. This is what we — I work in movie product licensing — were officially told as well regarding it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, D82 said:

Would be great...but doubtful.

It’s allegedly what the whole restructuring was for, but yeah not going to hold my breath. Just be happy when it happens.

It’s not like they wouldn’t have suitors, Apple and Amazon would be in on them to expand their footprint. Netflix could use the IP boost and WB would boost them up again. Someone like Microsoft I could see being interested, since it’d be a new space for them to get into (added bump of the game division get some more studios and all of them getting access to that IP). Same goes for Sony Pictures if they wanted to take off a bigger bite.

Im pretty over consolidation, but in this instance I’ll be fine with it.

• 2 weeks later...