Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Speaking specifically on non-fiction movies, until the American Revolution, the Congressional Congress declaring Independence, the War of 1812, the expansion of America, the events leading up to the Civil War, the Civil War and approximately 100 movies worth of more significant historical moments are made, I will not be interested in a car race. 

We've got a musical made 40 years ago, some A&E made for TV movies, some worthless bombs with Pacino and movies made in the 30's and 40's and a fantasy story of Francis Marion starring Mel Gibson that depict one of the world's most significant periods of history and I cannot get over that. 

And yet we're getting movies about the men who made a dictionary and a car race. 

I just think it's stupid.  I get that budgetary reasons impact this, but there are ten thousand more significant stories and better Oscar bait than the movies being made right now. 

There are only really two types of production companies right now, and neither of them are interested.

1. Big Legacy Production Companies are only looking for the best return on investment, and the easiest way in through the international market. Historical costume dramas are just too niche, and even with Oscar accolades, a poor investment. You need broad stories in contemporary and ambiguous settings, or remakes. 

2. Mid Sized Director drive production companies are all students of Goddard, French Neu-wave, Fellini, Tarkovsky and 90s Arthouse and for them, high concept historic pieces are archaic and regressive. Plus, the current wave of this cinema is focused on giving a platform for the diversity of voices and perspectives in our world. that's not even considering the budgetary issues.

So I guess all you have to satisfy your appetite is re-watching John Adams. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 11:26 AM, THE DUKE said:

Woman falls in love with fish man wins best picture and you question a movie about a guy racing a car?

Seeing how Suicide Squad has more Oscars than It's a Wonderful Life, Taxi Driver, The Shining and The Shawshank Redemption, winning an Oscar for a category it wasn't even the best movie in (Star Trek had better makeup), the Oscars have lost all sense of meaning now. 

The fact that this dumpster fire of a movie can call itself an Oscar winner for a category it wasn't even the best movie in is an effing disgrace to the art of filmmaking and award shows in general.

Edited by KManX89

On 6/3/2019 at 11:16 AM, Deadpulse said:

I dont play Magic and I am still like..... waht?

You've missed out on so much.

And waaaaaht.......?

I can only hope this centers around Gerred and Volrath with the Slivers coming into play at some point. 

23 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Seeing how Suicide Squad has more Oscars than It's a Wonderful Life, Taxi Driver, The Shining and The Shawshank Redemption, winning an Oscar for a category it wasn't even the best movie in (Star Trek had better makeup), the Oscars have lost all sense of meaning now. 

The fact that this dumpster fire of a movie can call itself an Oscar winner for a category it wasn't even the best movie in is an effing disgrace to the art of filmmaking and award shows in general.

I hate when people make this argument. ****ty movies can have good technical aspects, and even if you believe Suicide Squad didn't have the best make-up that year, you can't argue it wasn't great.

So saying something like "This movie has more Oscars than *random classic that was overlooked at the time* is stupid. As if winning Best Make-up somehow means the Oscars thought Suicide Squad was a better movie than any of the ones you listed. Come on, man.

• Like 2

Well, folks, it's apparently happening. This may be the weirdest concept for a horror movie I've ever seen and probably ever will see: 

LOL, if you thought Truth or Dare (a movie with a horror concept that actually works, but was piss-poorly executed) was bad, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Seriously, how TF will that work as a horror movie? Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea for a horror film? xD I may see it out of "trainwreck curiosity".

This is bound to turn some heads: 

WTF man? As someone who wholeheartedly believes that some franchises should not be anything less than R (Alien, Predator, RoboCop,Terminator, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, etc.), this is BS. Films should have a point and purpose for being R-rated, not be edgy just for the sake of edgy. Star Trek was never an R-rated franchise. How Paramount greenlit this ish (and they DID agree to an R-rated Star Trek from QT) is beyond me. Do they suddenly not care about $$$? If I was Paramount, I'd say hell no and find a new director.

Then again, this IS the same studio who thought making a PG-13 zombie movie (!) was a stellar idea. As somebody who harped on them for it back then, it'd be hypocritical of me to praise them now.