Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

On 6/14/2019 at 10:17 AM, Outpost31 said:

The rant started specifically about non-fiction movies.  True stories, so Toy Story and Deadpool 2 don't count. 

Tag was a comedy, so eh.  That was a good concept, poorly conceived.  Could have been a good, funny movie if they didn't hyperexaggerate things and reduce the humor to a 12-year-old level with regurgitated jokes and stupid dialogue. 

As far as the Ford Vs. Ferrari movie making me snap, I do not, have not and will not understand car fandom.  A car is a car to me.  It goes, it turns, it reverses, some of them go fast.  I would feel the same if they made the most interesting historical story about under water basket weaving or crocheting. 

Ok, but you do recognize that there is an audience for that movie tho, right?  Like if a great revolutionary war movie would make more money than the Ford vs Ferarri movie they would make that movie instead.  That's how Hollywood decides what to make, by what is going to put the most money in their pocket.  You are more than welcome to self finance the movie you want and make it, and that's why a lot of Indy creators do just that.  If it's a passion project you pay for it, if it you want somebody else to pay, they get to pick what they want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Ok, but you do recognize that there is an audience for that movie tho, right?  Like if a great revolutionary war movie would make more money than the Ford vs Ferarri movie they would make that movie instead.  That's how Hollywood decides what to make, by what is going to put the most money in their pocket.  You are more than welcome to self finance the movie you want and make it, and that's why a lot of Indy creators do just that.  If it's a passion project you pay for it, if it you want somebody else to pay, they get to pick what they want.

Yeah, but I don’t like it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

Better than Rebel Wilson, I suppose.  But then... Rebel's busy with CATS (which I had no clue until a couple days ago is in post-pro from Tom Hooper making it and is set to release Christmas time this year).  We know mission will be first in line to see it since his girl Taylor Swift is in it.  Not sure which one is more off-puttingly unnecessary: This or that Spielberg is remaking West Side Story?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Acgott said:

Eww, I don't hate McCarthy but her voice comes across like a modern Rosanne Barr. Ursula's voice is both seductive and sinister, plus I doubt she could pull off the singing as well although I could be wrong. I miss the voice acting talents that Disney used to bring to movies.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Not a McCarthy fan anymore, but I've read she was awesome in her last role and that wasn't comedic.

I just don't think she can pull off any kind of sinister as a villain.

She was good in Can You Ever Forgive Me?.  Richard Grant and Jane Curtin (in limited scenes) steal the show more than she does, but McCarthy's performance is akin to when Will Ferrell has done dramatic roles like Everything Must Go and Stranger Than Fiction.

47 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Eww, I don't hate McCarthy but her voice comes across like a modern Rosanne Barr. Ursula's voice is both seductive and sinister, plus I doubt she could pull off the singing as well although I could be wrong. I miss the voice acting talents that Disney used to bring to movies.

Especially when you go back and look at who some of those voice talents were.  The singing voices of Jasmine and Mulan were the same actress... who has multiple Tony's and was part of one of the most celebrated Les Miserables casts in a key role.

I think I'd have preferred someone like Octavia Spencer (no idea if she can sing), I can't believe I'm saying this but Mo'nique (who actually can sing), or let Queen Latifa play a villain for once (it would actually be a challenge and give her the opportunity to show range).

38 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Especially when you go back and look at who some of those voice talents were.  The singing voices of Jasmine and Mulan were the same actress... who has multiple Tony's and was part of one of the most celebrated Les Miserables casts in a key role.

I think I'd have preferred someone like Octavia Spencer (no idea if she can sing), I can't believe I'm saying this but Mo'nique (who actually can sing), or let Queen Latifa play a villain for once (it would actually be a challenge and give her the opportunity to show range).

Hell I would be fine with Chris Ayers  who does Frieza's voice from DBZ since pretty much all of it is going to be CGI anyways.

But yea they need to start bringing back those kinds of people and stop going after pop celebrities, they think star power sells when it's become very clear A-Listers just don't have they pull that they used too. It's no coincidence that their last major hit with a song was done by a legit broadway performer that had real talent in singing (Idina Menzel).

Disney has apparently given up making anything original....its pretty much all just sequels to long time established franchises and mediocre live action remakes of classic animated movies.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Disney has apparently given up making anything original....its pretty much all just sequels to long time established franchises and mediocre live action remakes of classic animated movies.

Well, Disney has Stuber coming out under Fox (I assume you included their MCU films in "sequels to long time established franchises"), but other than that, yeah.

Even then, it was announced before the Disney-Fox merger, so I'm not even sure if it counts.

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

It's working.

At least Pixar has 2 originals coming out next year.