Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

8 hours ago, KManX89 said:

This is bound to turn some heads: 

WTF man? As someone who wholeheartedly believes that some franchises should not be anything less than R (Alien, Predator, RoboCop,Terminator, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, etc.), this is BS. Films should have a point and purpose for being R-rated, not be edgy just for the sake of edgy. Star Trek was never an R-rated franchise. How Paramount greenlit this ish (and they DID agree to an R-rated Star Trek from QT) is beyond me. Do they suddenly not care about $$$? If I was Paramount, I'd say hell no and find a new director.

Then again, this IS the same studio who thought making a PG-13 zombie movie (!) was a stellar idea. As somebody who harped on them for it back then, it'd be hypocritical of me to praise them now.

I mean, you don't know that the movie is rated R just for the sake of being edgy until you actually see it. QT is one of the best in the game, so I can't see him putting this out without it being a quality movie. 

That being said, it is a little random. 

8 hours ago, KManX89 said:

This is bound to turn some heads: 

WTF man? As someone who wholeheartedly believes that some franchises should not be anything less than R (Alien, Predator, RoboCop,Terminator, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, etc.), this is BS. Films should have a point and purpose for being R-rated, not be edgy just for the sake of edgy. Star Trek was never an R-rated franchise. How Paramount greenlit this ish (and they DID agree to an R-rated Star Trek from QT) is beyond me. Do they suddenly not care about $$$? If I was Paramount, I'd say hell no and find a new director.

Then again, this IS the same studio who thought making a PG-13 zombie movie (!) was a stellar idea. As somebody who harped on them for it back then, it'd be hypocritical of me to praise them now.

"When you came in here did you see a sign that said dead Romulan storage? You know why you didnt? Cause storing dead Romulans ain't my ****ing business!" 

That keeps going through my head now since I read that. 

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

I mean, you don't know that the movie is rated R just for the sake of being edgy until you actually see it. QT is one of the best in the game, so I can't see him putting this out without it being a quality movie. 

That being said, it is a little random. 

It depends on what kind of R-rated Star Trek he brings. If it's simply a darker-in-tone R, then I guess it could work without feeling "tacked on". If it's increased violence/gore, then it's just violence/gore for the sake of violent/gory. Just like you can't remove violence in Terminator/Die Hard/RoboCop/Alien/Predator/zombie films without it feeling watered-down, I just don't see how you can rack up the violence in Star Trek to R-rated levels without it feeling excessive. And if he just throws in a ton of F bombs, then it's needless swearing that's never been in any Star Trek film or show.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Yeah, that seems an odd choice for a Star Trek movie, it's the kind of movie that is naturally tailor made to be PG-13.  Can QT not write dialogue with a filter?

This.

Here I was hoping the Star Trek movie would be rated R due to a violent or gory story, something akin to The Thing or Aliens or The Blob or some other sci fi body horror plot. 

If it's just gonna be expletive laced, I really don't care. 

Tarantino is gonna waste his alleged last movie on a Star Trek movie?  Very disappointing.  If he really is done after 10 movies, I'd really like to see him go with an original science fiction or horror movie. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Here I was hoping the Star Trek movie would be rated R due to a violent or gory story, something akin to The Thing or Aliens or The Blob or some other sci fi body horror plot. 

If it's just gonna be expletive laced, I really don't care. 

Tarantino is gonna waste his alleged last movie on a Star Trek movie?  Very disappointing.  If he really is done after 10 movies, I'd really like to see him go with an original science fiction or horror movie. 

He's going to do more than 10.  QT has always largely been a bull****er

On 5/30/2019 at 1:50 PM, Calvert28 said:

How about a remake of Willow if we're being daring? 

How about the damn sequel?  There were books written that go 20 years into the future in the Willow story, so it's not like stuff is getting pushed too much (aside from Val Kilmer being pretty much a no-go to reprise).  It's not like Warwick Davis is aging all that harshly, he could certainly reprise.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 8:33 AM, Outpost31 said:

Speaking specifically on non-fiction movies, until the American Revolution, the Congressional Congress declaring Independence, the War of 1812, the expansion of America, the events leading up to the Civil War, the Civil War and approximately 100 movies worth of more significant historical moments are made, I will not be interested in a car race. 

We've got a musical made 40 years ago, some A&E made for TV movies, some worthless bombs with Pacino and movies made in the 30's and 40's and a fantasy story of Francis Marion starring Mel Gibson that depict one of the world's most significant periods of history and I cannot get over that. 

And yet we're getting movies about the men who made a dictionary and a car race. 

I just think it's stupid.  I get that budgetary reasons impact this, but there are ten thousand more significant stories and better Oscar bait than the movies being made right now. 

There's more than that.  There have been more than the A&E "Turn" series regarding the revolutionary period.  Moreover, we go the John Adams miniseries with Giamatti (and others) which was absolutely fantastic and History Channel's Sons of Liberty was, at worst, solid.  The 90's was LOADED with Civil War era films with major stars in them (the events leading up to and involving Gettysburgh alone have been done in major films easily 4-5 times).

For one, the modern war movie buff (sorry, you're an exception) does seem to find single-round combat (especially the sort of tactics that were used during that period) all that interesting - sadly, it takes too long for the body count to start piling up for them.  As for the War of 1812... I'm pretty sure you could poll at least 4 out of 10 Americans (probably more) and they wouldn't be able to tell you much more about it than who it was between and when it happened.  That probably tells you what kind of interest there is out there for a movie about it.

On 6/5/2019 at 9:22 PM, thrILL! said:

Seth Green and Breckin Meyer graduate to making live action films together instead of just 🤖🐔. 

This is the first reuniting of Green and Culkin since Party Monster too, isn't it?

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

There's more than that.  There have been more than the A&E "Turn" series regarding the revolutionary period.  Moreover, we go the John Adams miniseries with Giamatti (and others) which was absolutely fantastic and History Channel's Sons of Liberty was, at worst, solid.  The 90's was LOADED with Civil War era films with major stars in them (the events leading up to and involving Gettysburgh alone have been done in major films easily 4-5 times).

For one, the modern war movie buff (sorry, you're an exception) does seem to find single-round combat (especially the sort of tactics that were used during that period) all that interesting - sadly, it takes too long for the body count to start piling up for them.  As for the War of 1812... I'm pretty sure you could poll at least 4 out of 10 Americans (probably more) and they wouldn't be able to tell you much more about it than who it was between and when it happened.  That probably tells you what kind of interest there is out there for a movie about it.

Not a fan of how John Adams HBO and Sons of Liberty depict my personal favorite revolutionary Sam Adams.  John Adams is really good and I’m gonna rewatch it again soon, but Sons of Liberty is trash and about as historically accurate as you can get.  

Lexington and Concord was light as far as bloodshed and there are things that happened then that would make it a hard R, so Hollywood doesn’t have that excuse either.

Give me Liberty movies or give me death or something better than some car race.

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Give me Liberty movies or give me death or something better than some car race.

Maybe i just don't get it, but why is Ford vs. Ferrari the straw that broke this particular camel's back for you?  Why not Toy Story 4, or Deadpool 2, or Tag?  

Should all other movies stop until this particular genre has been exhausted?  I'm just confused...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, theJ said:

Maybe i just don't get it, but why is Ford vs. Ferrari the straw that broke this particular camel's back for you?  Why not Toy Story 4, or Deadpool 2, or Tag?  

Should all other movies stop until this particular genre has been exhausted?  I'm just confused...

The rant started specifically about non-fiction movies.  True stories, so Toy Story and Deadpool 2 don't count. 

Tag was a comedy, so eh.  That was a good concept, poorly conceived.  Could have been a good, funny movie if they didn't hyperexaggerate things and reduce the humor to a 12-year-old level with regurgitated jokes and stupid dialogue. 

As far as the Ford Vs. Ferrari movie making me snap, I do not, have not and will not understand car fandom.  A car is a car to me.  It goes, it turns, it reverses, some of them go fast.  I would feel the same if they made the most interesting historical story about under water basket weaving or crocheting.