X-Men: Dark Phoenix (06/07/19)

thrILL!

4 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

How was Sophie Turner?

She was fine, the acting is for the most part, fine except for J-Law just being entirely done with the role. You can tell she was only there for contractual reasons.

The best parts really are the reshoots in the third act, it's the only time things don't look either astonishingly cheap or ham handedly done. The script is AWFUL.

It's JUST above Fan4stic in terms of awfulness, but it's worse than Green Lantern despite the acting being better. It looks so cheap, the story makes no sense and has no thematic weight, the dialogue is just absolutely the most dull, sanitized, weightless nothingness the whole movie.

It's awful, I cannot recommend anybody see it and I saw it in a theater for an early screening where people were excited to watch it, the exact crowd you'd hope to draw, and there was maybe 2 laughs and one half hearted "woo" through the whole thing otherwise it was just complete and utter silence. It was unnervingly bad.

0 for 2 adapting one of the best comic arcs ever. 

Granted, I havent seen it, but between the previews, the current reviews and how terrible Apocalypse was, I probably never will.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, D82 said:

Why? If anyone will do it justice, it's Marvel. 

Agreed. But there's so many other stories that can be done. We don't need the Phoenix Saga every 4-5 movies or once every 10 years.

Explore God Loves/Man Kills, House of M, X-Cutioner's Song, etc.

12 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Agreed. But there's so many other stories that can be done. We don't need the Phoenix Saga every 4-5 movies or once every 10 years.

Explore God Loves/Man Kills, House of M, X-Cutioner's Song, etc.

This is what I want. House of M. 

I think we're due a better shot at Apocalypse from Marvel, but... Let's put Dark Phoenix on the bench for a while, let this bad taste get out of our system.

If we get a third attempt at Dark Phoenix before we get standalone attempts at Gambit or Silver Surfer, I'll go mad.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is what I want. House of M. 

I think we're due a better shot at Apocalypse from Marvel, but... Let's put Dark Phoenix on the bench for a while, let this bad taste get out of our system.

If we get a third attempt at Dark Phoenix before we get standalone attempts at Gambit or Silver Surfer, I'll go mad.

Dark Phoenix takes at least 10 years to get too if you're going to do it right anyway, I think all involved know this with Marvel's plans. And considering it'll be 4-5 years before we even get our first taste of X-Men in the proper universe we're likely never to see it attempted again. 

You just can't do it in one movie. It doesn't work thematically.

• Like 1

I just want Cykes to be Cyclops, leader of the X-Men, the brilliant strategist and capable thinker. He should be the new Chris Evans Captain America level guy.

Not "Hah look Wolverine dunked on him again" or "Oh yeah that's right he's in this movie". Cyclops is a fundamental piece to making the X-Men work, you NEED him. And all the Fox movies aside from 2/3rds of the first one treat him as an almost afterthought. 

Edited by Thelonebillsfan
my phone adds an e to cyclops apparently
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Dark Phoenix takes at least 10 years to get too if you're going to do it right anyway, I think all involved know this with Marvel's plans. And considering it'll be 4-5 years before we even get our first taste of X-Men in the proper universe we're likely never to see it attempted again. 

You just can't do it in one movie. It doesn't work thematically.

I honestly think Fox could have went to Genosha Island right after DoFP, which could have led into a three movie arc for Apocalypse, which could bridge into a true Dark Phoenix storyline (gradually dropping hints through the other movies that this is on the horizon).

Properly done, Genosha Island would show a different side of the mutant paranoia from FC/DoFP while set in the 80s, then the Apocalypse saga could have spanned from the 90s to present, with Dark Phoenix taking place in the "future" so to speak - a callback to the alternative DoFP world, where mutants went unchecked by the Sentinel program, which leads to two God-like mutants nearly destroyed everything on Earth and beyond.

But, that's just a pipe dream now. I think with the right vision and direction, it could have rivaled the Infinity Saga... maybe not in depth, but in scope.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I honestly think Fox could have went to Genosha Island right after DoFP, which could have led into a three movie arc for Apocalypse, which could bridge into a true Dark Phoenix storyline (gradually dropping hints through the other movies that this is on the horizon).

Properly done, Genosha Island would show a different side of the mutant paranoia from FC/DoFP while set in the 80s, then the Apocalypse saga could have spanned from the 90s to present, with Dark Phoenix taking place in the "future" so to speak - a callback to the alternative DoFP world, where mutants went unchecked by the Sentinel program, which leads to two God-like mutants nearly destroyed everything on Earth and beyond.

But, that's just a pipe dream now. I think with the right vision and direction, it could have rivaled the Infinity Saga... maybe not in depth, but in scope.

Well from what I understand, the plan was to lead into a concentrated "universe" after Fan4stic and move forward on a MCU styled "event" which I assume was initially planned to be Dark Phoenix but, well, we all know what happened there. Plus you need Cyke to be established (or I suppose replace him with Havoc which lol killing him off in the last movie was dumb as hell) to do Genosha well I feel. I think that was the problem, they wanted to run before they walked. And without Fantastic they had no "cosmic" anchor and after Deadpool was a surprisingly huge hit they retooled everything to try and just crank the movies out as quickly as possible. Which is why New Mutants has had such a terrible production.

Matt Vaughn talked about this once, his initial plan was to keep the movie after First Class a period piece in the 70's with a young Logan to bridge the gap, then go to DoFP and combine them and end a nice, tidy trilogy of films with a clear thematic vision and intent. Instead what happened was Fox read his DoFP script and went "AMAZING, we're doing this right now" and he told them over and over "no, you have to wait, you have to build to this, because even if you do it now and it works out, you have nowhere to go after it" and left soon after, but studios are totally unwilling to take a longer view on anything except, of course, the Mouse which has more money than god and can afford to take that longer term view on building blockbusters. 

Edited by Thelonebillsfan
  • Like 1

Pheonix Force has to be earned in similar ways that Thanos/infinity gauntlet needed to be. Dark Pheonix is so impactful in the comics because it is a MASSIVE paradigm shift featuring characters that people have had decades to fall in love with. 

• Like 1