Earl Thomas is an example why Le’Veon Bell is holding out

stl4life07

I feel bad for Thomas and I don’t blame him for sticking the middle finger up at the Seahawks. He should’ve gotten paid or traded but the he didn’t. Now he is hurt and he can’t get his money or traded.

Bell is smart because he could’ve been in this same situation had he been playing right now and getting 25+ touches every week. The Steelers are 1-2-1. They had to hang on just to beat the Bucs and Browns or else they would be 0-4. They need to either pay Bell or trade him to get assets that can help them. Either way Bell is looking smart right now because he isn’t out there suffering the same fate Thomas did. Feel bad for Thomas but I tip my cap off to Bell for not putting himself in danger.

Not a great example. Bell was being denied a longterm contract in favor of franchise tagging him so they could run him into the ground and ruin his value for another team. Thomas got a longterm contract and was upset that in the final years the market passed him by. 

Just gonna paste what I said in the News thread.

No sure why people have to take sides in these kind of things. Unless a party is being completely irrational, both parties are trying to do what it best for them, sometimes they don't agree and that's ok.

That being said, I do not expect a grown man who already made a ton of money being so butthurt that he can't make more money to flip off his own team as he's carted off the field (if that was indeed what was happening).

I’m pro the players for getting paid. So I won’t take sides unless there is an exception. Like for example, when Pujols left the Cards to join the Angels. I was glad Pujols got his money until he made a comment on how the Cards paid Holiday and not him. Like the Cards paid Holiday to help him. The Cards were willing to pay Pujols but they also was trying to help make life easy for Pujols in the lineup plus help Pujols win titles. Since Pujols left the Cards he hasn’t sniffed a title. The Cards been to a WS without him. 

So again I’m always pro player getting paid unless there is an exception. There is no exception why the Seahawks couldn’t give Thomas his money or trade him. Same thing with Bell. 

Thomas is making $10.5 million at a position with a lot of longevity and is upset that he didn't receive another extension before this year.

LeVeon is making $14.5 million at a position with zero longevity AND playing for a team that's clearly running him into the ground and is upset that the team won't extend him since they're seemingly purposefully giving him the full Demarco Murray treatment.

The situations are not nearly the same.

There is an exception on this one...

He signed a 4 year, $40 million contract with $25 million guaranteed and a $9.5 million bonus.  He was already guaranteed a lot of his money and was wanting to skip out on the 'thin' side of the contract (probably to sign another contract that front loaded a lot of the money).  Hate to see him get hurt but he got his money and should still get a nice contract next year from someone.  He also gets paid $8 million this year.       

38 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

So again I’m always pro player getting paid unless there is an exception. There is no exception why the Seahawks couldn’t give Thomas his money or trade him. Same thing with Bell. 

What if the Seahawks planned to let him leave in FA? That seems like a good reason to not give him an extension.

Seahawks already paid Thomas once and he was getting older. 

LeVeon has never had a big contract and the Steelers just want to run him into the ground without ever having to pay him. 

No problem with the Seahawks. Steelers though.. hope LeVeon wins a SB before Pittsburgh. Or at least gets some kind of revenge. LeVeon has played this excellent. Steelers would have gave him like 400 touches this year completely destroying his value. LeVeon either gets traded or returns Week 9-10 to avoid those touches. And then ball out those final 7 games or so and get the contract he deserves. 

Situations aren't the same. Thomas signed a contract and IMO he should honor it if he wants to keep playing.

People talk about how teams can end contracts early - players can too, it's called retirement.

There is no comparison to be made for a player holding out for more money though. It makes sense in rare situations - Donald, Mack and LeVeon.

4 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Situations aren't the same. Thomas signed a contract and IMO he should honor it if he wants to keep playing.

People talk about how teams can end contracts early - players can too, it's called retirement.

There is no comparison to be made for a player holding out for more money though. It makes sense in rare situations - Donald, Mack and LeVeon.

LeVeon isn’t under contract. He never agreed to anything for 2018. It’s a franchise tag from the cba. Steelers don’t feel he is worth a long term deal and LeVeon feels he is worth more then 14 million to a team. There isn’t a right or wrong.

Thomas agreed to play in 2018. He played and got hurt. It sucks and I’d be pissed if I was him. Unlucky breaks happen. He wanted security and to stay in Seattle. Seattle basically went into the year with, “hey Earl it’s been real but I think after this year we need to start seeing other people.” Again, it’s not about right and wrong, it’s business. 

Archived