Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

2005 Week 17 Denver Broncos (12-3) at San Diego Chargers (9-6)

Saturday Dec 31, 2005

Start Time: 4:35pm

Stadium: Qualcomm Stadium

Drew Brees' last game as a San Diego Charger. If Brees doesn't get hurt he probably never goes to New Orleans, and maybe Philip Rivers is traded. Broncos essenitially dominate this game, and later on are playing backups as they've already locked up the division. The footnote in NFL history is more exciting than the actual contest. The AFC West was pretty tight this year with the Broncos finishing 13-3, Chiefs 10-6, and Chargers 9-7. Only Denver made the playoffs. San Diego was a better team than their record indicated, but they lost some tight games. 

On 10/4/2018 at 5:08 AM, PapaShogun said:

Yeah, that's the game. I'm still not sure if it was the right call. The Colts were driving down the Patriots throat in the second half, and it seemed like they couldn't stop them at all. So I could kind of see the rationale of Bill just thinking his defense didn't have it that night. So he was going to put the game in the hands of his offense. Just didn't pay off. 

JUst going on recall. I think most of the defense had the flu the previous week some like that.

2000 Week 4 Jacksonville Jaguars (2-1) at Indianapolis Colts (1-1) 

Monday Sep 25, 2000

Start Time: 9:00pm

Stadium: RCA Dome

Two of the top teams from the AFC the previous season duke it out on MNF. Jim Mora against Tom Coughlin. Manning against Brunell. From 1996-1999 the Jacksonville Jaguars were a playoff team that made two AFC Championship game appearances. It's been twenty years since the 2000 season, and the franchise hasn't been the same since. Starting with this 43-14 whipping against the Colts on the road, the Jaguars fell to 2-2, and wouldn't win another game until they were 3-6. Despite a roster full of talent they finished the season 7-9 in a tough AFC Central with the Titans, Ravens, and Steelers. In this game, the Jacksonville defense could not stop Manning through the air, as he carved up the Jaguars defense for 440 yards/4TDs/0INTs on 36 attempts. Manning wasn't sacked either. The entire Colts offense had over 500 yards. The Colts defense also killed Brunell to the tune of 5 sacks, and stifled the passing game. The only caveat for Jacksonville was Jimmy Smith putting on a bit of a show with the premium pass yards that were gained. In particular, right before halftime Smith makes an insane touchdown catch from an insane needle-threading throw from Brunell. This game was a letdown somewhat at the time since these were supposed to be two heavyweights slated for a lower scoring affair. One simply got knocked the fudge out, and didn't bounce back the rest of the year. 

15 hours ago, Chuck80 said:

https://youtu.be/xJdU4YAiaPs

One of the few snow games at three Rivers stadium awesome game to watch I was in Pittsburgh at the time watching it with my dad And his friends ....the 99 Steelers almost played the Rams in this game but I think Panthers got it due to a flex

Hunh? Flex scheduling didn't exist back then lol

On 1/11/2020 at 10:12 AM, ET80 said:

We avenged 1992 v Buffalo Iast week. ;)

If we get the W in KC, and if Tennessee could beat Baltimore, setting up a "Texans v Old Oilers" AFCCG in Houston. If the Texans won THAT game...

...well, my revenge tour will be complete. I can stop watching football if that were to go down. Literally, that very minute, I'd retire from watching or talking about football. I'd probably hang out in TAST, play Mafia and post in WAYTA the whole time, I'd have no desire to watch football ever again.

I'd also name my next kid Deshaun.

man, i wish that would've happened. i was really nervous about that possibility at the time. we would've had a better shot to beat y'all than KC, and a win would be that much sweeter, but a loss would've been devastating. it could have really elevated the rivalry.

Edited by -Hope-

• 4 weeks later...

1994 Week 12 Miami Dolphins (7-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (7-3)

Sunday Nov 20, 1994

Start Time: 1:00pm

Stadium: Three Rivers Stadium

Attendance: 59,148

Despite the low scoring, this was a pretty good game that went to OT. Homecoming for Marino against the Steelers defense. A lot of big plays in this game from both teams, and Mike Tomczak actually looks good throwing the rock for the Steelers. 

Edited by PapaShogun

1989 Week 4 Denver Broncos (3-0) at Cleveland Browns (2-1)

Sunday Oct 1, 1989

Start Time: 1:00pm

Stadium: Cleveland Municipal Stadium

Good defensive game that comes down to the wire in the final minutes of the 4th quarter. Just when Denver has Cleveland dead to rights yet again, the Browns capitalize on a costly Broncos turnover, which leads to a last second victory. This would be the Browns first victory against the Broncos in 15 years. BTW, for you arm cannon fanatics, hit the 17:48 mark to see Elway air out a 60+ yard bomb that cuts the sky like a hot knife through butter. 

Edited by PapaShogun

2012 AFC Divisional Round

Baltimore Ravens (11-6) at Denver Broncos (13-3)

Whereas the Ravens/Niners Super Bowl a couple of weeks later was really just a tale of two halves, with a weird blackout sandwiched between - the Ravens/Broncos divisional game was an absolute classic from start to finish. For a Ravens fan probably one most exhilarating, dramatic, and exhausting games we've ever experienced. Just so many iconic moments in this game for me, all agains the backdrop of a fairy tale playoff run where we knew every game could be the last one in Ray Lewis' career. Also the jewel performance from Joe Flacco in an all-time great playoff run. 

The Mile High Miracle itself - the long bomb to Jacoby Jones to force OT - gets all of the headlines but really there were so many different moments in the game to look back on, including:

- Flacco flipping field position in OT with a beautiful throw to Pitta on 3rd and long for a gain of around 25 yards. Even though we ended up punting on that drive, I think that throw saved us. If he misses that, we punt from our own 3 yard line and the Broncos likely get the ball basically in FG range to win the game.

- Corey Graham's INT of Peyton to launch our game winning OT drive. Having watched Peyton torment us so many times before including in the postseason, this felt cathartic too. 

- The Marshal Yanda Hall of Fame reel play for me, hustling downfield to push Ray Rice an extra 3 yards past the 1st down marker to set up the game winning FG. Turned what would have been a 3rd and 2 or 3 into a 1st down where we were able to pick up another 5 further yards in 3 plays before kicking the FG. His push essentially earned us as many as 7 or 8 yards at a place in the field where every individual yard means a lot towards making a FG attempt that much more palatable - a 47 yarder vs. a 55 yard attempt. 

- A rookie Justin Tucker exorcizing the demons of Billy Cundiff and launching his own legacy with a 47 yard field goal in double OT in the freezing cold to beat Peyton Manning and the #1 seeded Broncos. 

And that was just from OT - which all came after a wild regulation period that ended 35-35 that featured obviously the infamous Flacco/Jacoby Jones/Rahim Moore moment with no time left, but also Trung Candidate returning two kicks for TD's for the Broncos, Torrey Smith toasting Champ Bailey twice for long TD's, and Peyton throwing a pick-six. 

Just an insane game - I was at a bar in DC watching with my future wife and when Tucker hit that FG I lifted her up over my shoulders and ran around the establishment screaming like an absolutely idiot. 

And just so I'm not picking just Ravens wins - I will also say that, even though we lost each of one of them, I think the 3 Ravens/Steelers matchups from the 2008 season - two tight regular season games that decided the division, as well the AFC Championship Game- are probably the pinnacle of the rivalry and 3 of the best, most physical football games you'll watch, with both defenses operating at an all-time level that year. The middle game in particular - a 13-9 win by the Steelers in Baltimore in Week 15 to win the division, featuring Big Ben hitting Santonio Holmes for a game winning TD with 40 seconds left - stands out as an absolute classic. Not to mention it previewed a certain Super Bowl-winning combination later that year. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

2012 AFC Divisional Round

Baltimore Ravens (11-6) at Denver Broncos (13-3)

This was the greatest game in Ravens history as far as I'm concerned. A huge playoff upset that led to a super bowl run. Massive plays on offense, defense and special teams. A last minute Hail Mary along with being a great back and forth battle throughout. A game that was tied after quarter 1, quarter 2, quarter 3, quarter 4 and heck OT1. Of course this game is wildly overlooked by mainstream media, as many things Ravens are. 

• Like 1

Just now, wackywabbit said:

This was the greatest game in Ravens history as far as I'm concerned. A huge playoff upset that led to a super bowl run. Massive plays on offense, defense and special teams. A last minute Hail Mary along with being a great back and forth battle throughout. A game that was tied after quarter 1, quarter 2, quarter 3, quarter 4 and heck OT1. Of course this game is wildly overlooked by mainstream media, as many things Ravens are. 

Isn't Baltimore's record against Peyton pretty bad?