Stock Investing

rickyt31

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It is.

The big issue in recovery will be unemployment and people having disposable cash and their willingness to spend it on entertainment/travel/dining out.

A lot of folks will just be trying to catch up on bills or rebuild savings, college accounts, retirement accounts, etc.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m not sure people are gonna jump right back into the same habits as before, at least initially.

I think they will. Most of them at least. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It is.

The big issue in recovery will be unemployment and people having disposable cash and their willingness to spend it on entertainment/travel/dining out.

A lot of folks will just be trying to catch up on bills or rebuild savings, college accounts, retirement accounts, etc.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m not sure people are gonna jump right back into the same habits as before, at least initially.

It vastly depends on how much stimulus the Feds push.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 8:48 AM, mistakey said:

yeah i guess if youre dollar cost averaging but i still think its dumb, why not just wait 2 weeks for the crescent of cases in america? 

This strategy reeks of trying to chase the bottom imo. But I also think it’s dumb if you’re trying to invest a huge lump sum either now or two weeks from now.

Bottom line, we have fallen way off the top. If you have the capacity to do so, and you are doing it LT, there’s no reason to change your investing course imo. And if you’ve had cash on the sideline, going in methodically now isn’t gonna be a real back breaker even if (when?) we go down a bit more. 

12 minutes ago, TLO said:

This strategy reeks of trying to chase the bottom imo. But I also think it’s dumb if you’re trying to invest a huge lump sum either now or two weeks from now.

Bottom line, we have fallen way off the top. If you have the capacity to do so, and you are doing it LT, there’s no reason to change your investing course imo. And if you’ve had cash on the sideline, going in methodically now isn’t gonna be a real back breaker even if (when?) we go down a bit more. 

Chase the bottom- na.  Just waiting for the peak of cases, which precedes the peak of deaths and wait for unemployment stats to come out which we know are gonna be horrendous.

im not even saying wait for years or the bottom, but you KNOW its getting worse wtf would you invest right now?

19 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Chase the bottom- na.  Just waiting for the peak of cases, which precedes the peak of deaths and wait for unemployment stats to come out which we know are gonna be horrendous.

im not even saying wait for years or the bottom, but you KNOW its getting worse wtf would you invest right now?

Cases are gonna peak as we get our **** together with testing, which I think will calm a little bit of the uncertainty to offset the rising case numbers. I see your logic though. I just think we’re close enough that  if you start DCA now, you’ll be fine. I’m seeing a lot of advisors buying rn.

Edited by TLO

23 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Its getting worse, but its going to get less worse than people fear and start getting better at the same time.  As cases and deaths peak here, we'll already see Italy pulling out of it and a lot of promising signs on the medical front, and travel restrictions, etc. will start to ramp down shortly thereafter.  I'd imagine thats 2 months from now.

Tbh that is priced in at this point.  People are about as freaked out as they have the capacity to get.  So cant imagine it going that much lower.  Maybe we lose another 15%, but on 6/1 we are going to be higher than we are right now.

• Like 1

Planning on dipping my toes in some individual stocks tomorrow.  I put a bunch back into my Stash account last week a bit too early, but I'm not worried about it.  I've got job security (told I'll be paid even if I don't get to work just so they can keep me). 

What's everyone buying? 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Planning on dipping my toes in some individual stocks tomorrow.  I put a bunch back into my Stash account last week a bit too early, but I'm not worried about it.  I've got job security (told I'll be paid even if I don't get to work just so they can keep me). 

What's everyone buying? 

Toilet paper mostly

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It is.

I must emend my post. The USA went through a severe depression from Jan 1920 through July 1921. That downturn has been traditionally blamed on WW1.  But the influenza epidemic raged from Jan 1918 to Dec 1920. I don't care what the economists claim. That cannot be a mere coincidence. Whether that pandemic had an effect on the economy or not, history shows the US economy made a very robust recovery. If this pandemic causes a depression I expect a very rapid recovery.