2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

From what I've seen if him, he has a good mix of inside/outside technique. He's very athletic but not a 'freak athlete' necessarily because he doesn't have the strength/length/speed combo, but he is a quick twitch athlete with good hands

I've seen him make OTs look silly, but I've also seen him get stonewalled. 

I dont think he will make it past pick #25 because some playoff team will know they can carve out a nice role for him. I don't think he has all pro potential because I don't think some of the ways he's won wont work against a lot of NFL OTs, but he is going to be a solid rotational passrusher at a minimum

Von Miller is a horrible comp for polite. I actually think Josh Allen has a lot of von Allen in him except with more length and not quite as much speed 

The ways in which he wins translate well. He's explosive with a lot of bend and quick-twitch athleticism. It allows him to play under the hands of blockers and burn them inside if they get greedy guarding the corner. 

EDIT: Just from my casual observations, Polite reminds me a lot of Vic Beasley.

Edited by jrry32

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The ways in which he wins translate well. He's explosive with a lot of bend and quick-twitch athleticism. It allows him to play under the hands of blockers and burn them inside if they get greedy guarding the corner. 

I meant that his athletic advantage will not count for as much as the level of competition increases and that could cause his pressure rates to drop. 

I did say 'he has a good mix of inside and outside moves'. That was actually the first thing that I said about him 

He's going to have a nice role on a good team but I don't think he's an everydown player in the NFL. Situationally he could absolutely make some splash plays 

He has a nice feel for rushing the passer. Good instincts. Good hands. 

I've been looking at prospects through the lense of #2 overall, he's not worth that pick but will 100% be selected in the first round in the early 20s and that team will feel like they have a chance to get one of the best players in the draft. 

There is a lot of risk, he isn't the guy you draft him to be if you think 'allpro' because I think his ceiling is 'very good situational pass rusher'. Hes very pro ready in the sense the game won't be too fast for him and he has some good moves already. 

I think he ends up a packer, just a hunch, would be a good fit 

Edited by N4L

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

I meant that his athletic advantage will not count for as much as the level of competition increases and that could cause his pressure rates to drop. 

I did say 'he has a good mix of inside and outside moves'. That was actually the first thing that I said about him 

He's going to have a nice role on a good team but I don't think he's an everydown player in the NFL. Situationally he could absolutely make some splash plays 

He has a nice feel for rushing the passer. Good instincts. Good hands. 

I've been looking at prospects through the lense of #2 overall, he's not worth that pick but will 100% be selected in the first round in the early 20s and that team will feel like they have a chance to get one of the best players in the draft. 

There is a lot of risk, he isn't the guy you draft him to be if you think 'allpro' because I think his ceiling is 'very good situational pass rusher'. Hes very pro ready in the sense the game won't be too fast for him and he has some good moves already. 

I think he ends up a packer, just a hunch, would be a good fit 

I can't agree with that. I've seen too many others who had the same supposed limitations become much more than that. As I said, he reminds me of Vic Beasley. What has killed Beasley in the NFL is his failure to develop a diverse set of pass rush moves and more complex pass rush plans. If that happens to Polite, he'll only be a situational pass rusher. If he develops in those areas, he'll play, even if you can run on him. Pass rush is too important. Although, odds are that he'll develop as a run defender if he develops those areas. He may never be a plus, but even guys who are lacking a bit in strength and size can play the run effectively if they are savvy about it.

I know it's 'Edge Rushers' but I was thinking about the top 5 D linemen by play or reputation and how they stack up.

N. Bosa everybody thinks is #1 and that's coming off an injury. Those first few games he was 'on' but rep and bloodlines is helping him stay on top.

Q. Williams most say was the most dominant lineman and out of a top program. One dominant season and produced at a high level.

J. Allen had two very productive seasons and EXPLODED this season. Level of competition and the above mentioned players is why he's here.

Ed Oliver looked to be the #1 overall before this season and didn't dominate like we all thought he would but he did produce and measurments might move stock.Some rep here.

R. Gary all rep not enough production. Would be hard for any team to pass up but at the same time might feel like a reach because of the production.

As a Raider fan Bosa and Allen are better fits for what we need but if both were gone Q wouldn't be a problem. However all three could easily be gone and a trade down would probably be best but Oliver and Gary could also develop into top pros. It will really depend on our tv personalities who run the show. =P

Who would you want for your team and why?

• Like 1

I'm just now jumping in this year. I have to say that I'm very impressed by Chase Winovich. It feels like he's affecting the QB on 40% to 50% of his pass rush snaps. Powerful punch, great hand usage, very effective speed-to-power rush, explosive first step, advanced pass rush plans and absolutely relentless effort. He's not an edge-bender, but his first step and balance still allow him to threaten the corner. He also has a great feel for what the offense is doing. Does a very nice job of feeling screens and halting his rush to defend it. Kind of reminds me of Trey Flowers.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:57 PM, G said:

I know it's 'Edge Rushers' but I was thinking about the top 5 D linemen by play or reputation and how they stack up.

N. Bosa everybody thinks is #1 and that's coming off an injury. Those first few games he was 'on' but rep and bloodlines is helping him stay on top.

Q. Williams most say was the most dominant lineman and out of a top program. One dominant season and produced at a high level.

J. Allen had two very productive seasons and EXPLODED this season. Level of competition and the above mentioned players is why he's here.

Ed Oliver looked to be the #1 overall before this season and didn't dominate like we all thought he would but he did produce and measurments might move stock.Some rep here.

R. Gary all rep not enough production. Would be hard for any team to pass up but at the same time might feel like a reach because of the production.

As a Raider fan Bosa and Allen are better fits for what we need but if both were gone Q wouldn't be a problem. However all three could easily be gone and a trade down would probably be best but Oliver and Gary could also develop into top pros. It will really depend on our tv personalities who run the show. =P

i feel GARY was kinda misused at michigan.  he was significantly better playing vs guards then tackles yet they continued to play him as an edge.  gary still likely needs some more muscle/weight for inside on a fulltime basis tho. 

19 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

i feel GARY was kinda misused at michigan.  he was significantly better playing vs guards then tackles yet they continued to play him as an edge.  gary still likely needs some more muscle/weight for inside on a fulltime basis tho. 

agreed. Gary is an overrated edge prospect but a top 3 DT prospect to me

20 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Yea he's Solomon Thomas.

On 2/9/2019 at 8:57 PM, G said:

I can't get Josh Allen for the Rams, but I feel he's the best option. He played in the SEC, so it's not like he was getting scrub competition on a weekly basis. I heard buzz on him as a 1 last year, then he stayed and was crazy dominant this year. He carried his team. He has the coverage skills to he a true every-down stud OLB, too. I'm not sure if there's anything he can't do.