Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

9 hours ago, candyman93 said:

There’s going to be a LOT of public sector employees getting laid off due to the pandemic. Can’t imagine how awful it’s going to be for some of you teachers on here.

This new bill in the senate (319 section 13) has potential major fallout for us in the losing job department.

9 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Our union and CEO has made it explicitly clear that there won't be any lay offs going into the next school year. With that said, if our upcoming levy doesn't pass though, I'm for sure a goner. 

This is where we are too. The word used was “catastrophic” if the levy fails in November. We also lost $2.07 million in funding cuts with DeWine cutting hundreds of millions in education. Best wishes man. It’s hard to believe I’m 10 years into my career and still having to worry about this stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

This new bill in the senate (319 section 13) has potential major fallout for us in the losing job department.

This is where we are too. The word used was “catastrophic” if the levy fails in November. We also lost $2.07 million in funding cuts with DeWine cutting hundreds of millions in education. Best wishes man. It’s hard to believe I’m 10 years into my career and still having to worry about this stuff. 

I think if you work in a big city district, you will be fine. However, if you work in a mostly suburb or rural area, you’re screwed.

Rural areas are going to be nailed by the tax cuts that are going to happen.

8 hours ago, roger murdock said:

The Civil War is the worst thing that ever happened to the United States. The South betrayed the Union and killed 300,000+ Americans to defend the institution of slavery which killed and imprisoned millions of innocent people over hundreds of years.

Giving them statues and glorying them is disgusting. Giving them statues in this country makes as much sense as erecting a statue of Osama Bin Laden in NYC or Timothy McVey in OKC. These are the worst figures in the history of this country and they should be looked back at in disgust and contempt and anyone who glorifies them is perverted.

Slavery was bad 

where’s my statue 

15 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think if you work in a big city district, you will be fine. However, if you work in a mostly suburb or rural area, you’re screwed.

Eh, not really. The way that we do funding in Ohio is absurd. For example, when DeWine made all of the funding cuts, we lost $2.07 million in 2020 alone, with even more in 2021. Meanwhile, Dayton Schools and some of the smaller city schools/lower socioeconomic districts actually GAINED $1 million.

I work in a big suburban district (one of the biggest in the state).

15 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Rural areas are going to be nailed by the tax cuts that are going to happen.

The funding formula in Ohio is super complicated. Essentially, even though my district has grown by 25% in the last 15 years, the state has us "maxed" in the capacity funding formula department already, so no additional funds. Additionally, since I'm in a "wealthier" district, they say that our funding should be cut and the onus of responsibility put on the local taxpayers via levies, bond issues, etc.

For example, where I am, we account for $8,000 per pupil expenditure, whereas in Dayton it's over $13,000 per pupil.

I also live in the Township about 20-25 minutes away from the school I work in, so my kids go to a rural village school (great school district), so I'm intrigued to see what happens here. The community is generally very supportive of the local schools/tax levies, but we'll see how that goes in times like this.

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@MWil23, your brother quit the site or what?  He ok?

When he’s not working 76 hours a week like last week, he’s dodging Molotov cocktails and urine filled bottles from “protesters”. He’s also in the process of moving/selling his house. 

46 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

When he’s not working 76 hours a week like last week, he’s dodging Molotov cocktails and urine filled bottles from “protesters”. He’s also in the process of moving/selling his house. 

So he can’t make time for his FF family?  Seems selfish...

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I’m fired up and I’m good. It’s surprising that you can actually be pro BLM and Pro Cop. Shocking, I know. 

Any time anyone straddles any fence they’re going to get called out for it, be it this topic or anything else.

It’s polarizing and people become tribal.  You know this stuff man.

Dont take this ish personally, even though I’m sure it feels personal for obvious reasons.

• Like 1