Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I never saw the Matrix, but I bet that’s a good reference 😂 

It's on Netflix rn, you should watch it.

Watched it the other night with my 9 year old. I thought it would be over her head, but she exploded my mind right after the credits started rolling when she started breaking down the metaphor for the machines using humans being like schools lying to kids about the real world just to get them to follow the rules.

She understood it better than I did the first time I saw it, and I was 25 then. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, candyman93 said:

There’s some good coming out of this.

I will NEVER understand why Robert E Lee was allowed to be glorified. Props to NASCAR as well.

People forget that in the Civil War/post civil war, Jefferson Davis, Lee, and all of the other generals were literally wanted for treason, penalty of death (hanging or firing squad). So, when Lee surrendered, he dressed up to the nines, surrendered dramatically/proudly, unconditionally, and was absolutely shocked when Grant said "Go home, each man to his own house, and let's start rebuilding this country".

Lincoln the merciful...many at the time thought too merciful. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

People forget that in the Civil War/post civil war, Jefferson Davis, Lee, and all of the other generals were literally wanted for treason, penalty of death (hanging or firing squad). So, when Lee surrendered, he dressed up to the nines, surrendered dramatically/proudly, unconditionally, and was absolutely shocked when Grant said "Go home, each man to his own house, and let's start rebuilding this country".

Lincoln the merciful...many at the time thought too merciful. 

Let’s also add context to these statues. Many of them were erected in the early to mid 20th century, not right after the civil war.

It doesn’t take a genius to notice the coincidence between these statues going up and other events in the early part of the century and the 1960’s.

Statues are for reverence, museums and books for history.  I’m not in favor of showing reverence to traitorous men who waged war on the US so they could continue to own people.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Let’s also add context to these statues. Many of them were erected in the early to mid 20th century, not right after the civil war.

It doesn’t take a genius to notice the coincidence between these statues going up and other events in the early part of the century and the 1960’s.

Statues are for reverence, museums and books for history.  I’m not in favor of showing reverence to traitorous men who waged war on the US so they could continue to own people.  

Even going back to the 1920’s on some of those, membership in a certain group was at its peak of over 5 million people. Probably no correlation...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

It's on Netflix rn, you should watch it.

Watched it the other night with my 9 year old. I thought it would be over her head, but she exploded my mind right after the credits started rolling when she started breaking down the metaphor for the machines using humans being like schools lying to kids about the real world just to get them to follow the rules.

She understood it better than I did the first time I saw it, and I was 25 then. 

Damn, I feel pretty proud to be the "red" pill in my school.  

There are quite a few kids in my classes that haven't found this clip organically.  :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

There’s going to be a LOT of public sector employees getting laid off due to the pandemic. Can’t imagine how awful it’s going to be for some of you teachers on here.

Our union and CEO has made it explicitly clear that there won't be any lay offs going into the next school year. With that said, if our upcoming levy doesn't pass though, I'm for sure a goner. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Our union and CEO has made it explicitly clear that there won't be any lay offs going into the next school year. With that said, if our upcoming levy doesn't pass though, I'm for sure a goner. 

Can you get transferred to another city

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I spent my early years in Florida. I remember people saying "The South shall rise again" and that was the mid-80s.

Stone Mountain outside Atlanta was officially opened 100 years to the day after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. 

The State of Georgia bought it and finished it in 1972 as a reaction to the Brown vs. Board of Education decision.

So all the heritage not hate folks don't know what they are talking about, or they are lying.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2020 at 6:48 PM, candyman93 said:

There’s some good coming out of this.

I will NEVER understand why Robert E Lee was allowed to be glorified. Props to NASCAR as well.

The Civil War is the worst thing that ever happened to the United States. The South betrayed the Union and killed 300,000+ Americans to defend the institution of slavery which killed and imprisoned millions of innocent people over hundreds of years.

Giving them statues and glorying them is disgusting. Giving them statues in this country makes as much sense as erecting a statue of Osama Bin Laden in NYC or Timothy McVey in OKC. These are the worst figures in the history of this country and they should be looked back at in disgust and contempt and anyone who glorifies them is perverted.

• Like 3