Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

I don't understand people who prefer working in an office.

I occasionally will have recruiters reach out to me about job opportunities. As soon as I find out that it's not remote, I immediately lose interest.

I’ve discovered with some people it’s because they secretly hate being around their families. So being around them all day just makes things harder.

Others miss interacting with coworkers.

Some managers need to micromanage which is why they want people back in an office setting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I’ve discovered with some people it’s because they secretly hate being around their families. So being around them all day just makes things harder.

Bingo. I can tell you of at least 2 teachers that I work with that under no circumstances want to go home. I genuinely feel bad for them (and their families).

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Bingo. I can tell you of at least 2 teachers that I work with that under no circumstances want to go home. I genuinely feel bad for them (and their families).

Teaching via zoom was great as a teacher....not so great for the students!!!!  I think they are still catching up from the 2 years of maturity they lost while at home!!!!!

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Others miss interacting with coworkers.

Some managers need to micromanage which is why they want people back in an office setting.

Fair enough. A former boss of mine preferred going into the office just to get a break from his family, haha. But as a single dude I don't have that worry. Plus with two dogs, it's way easier working from home and not having to leave them for 8+ hours a day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Fair enough. A former boss of mine preferred going into the office just to get a break from his family, haha. But as a single dude I don't have that worry. Plus with two dogs, it's way easier working from home and not having to leave them for 8+ hours a day.

I can understand people wanting to get out of the house or get some privacy to actually work if there’s a spouse and young kids at home, but a need for social interactions or a quiet space hasn’t been an issue for me.

Sometimes in the summer when the kids are being loud af I’m ready for THEM to go back but I have no desire to do so lol.

• Like 1

I posted this in the GDT, but on second thought, I thought it might end up getting buried there.  

The AFL season kicks off in March, and as we know by our own @Kiwibrownand @hornbybrown, the NFL is a VERY popular sport in New Zealand.  It is equally as popular in Australia, and there very passionate fans of the game there as well.  

As some of you may know, I've been doing a podcast on Australian Rules Football since December 2019.  It isn't huge (just about at 40,000 total downloads through 266 episodes), but I've been able to build a pretty solid group of people who listen week in and week out.  Many of them are huge NFL fans, and as the post below says, I'm going to be hosting a "roundtable" discussion with Australian NFL fans (and hopefully American NFL fans who are open to checking out the AFL), to chat about why NFL fans would love the AFL.  The season runs from mid-March through the end of September (I haven't watched an Indians/Guardians game in over two years now.)  

During the season, FS1/FS2 and FoxSoccerPlus generally carry a half dozen of the 9 games each weekend.  

If you are interested at all, drop me a note in the messages here, or you can find the podcast on Twitter and Instagram.  We'll probably be doing this in late January or early February.  I'm going to be doing preview episodes with all 18 of the clubs over the next month or so.  I'm sharing a google doc here with some youtube videos that might interest you.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I posted this in the GDT, but on second thought, I thought it might end up getting buried there.  

The AFL season kicks off in March, and as we know by our own @Kiwibrownand @hornbybrown, the NFL is a VERY popular sport in New Zealand.  It is equally as popular in Australia, and there very passionate fans of the game there as well.  

As some of you may know, I've been doing a podcast on Australian Rules Football since December 2019.  It isn't huge (just about at 40,000 total downloads through 266 episodes), but I've been able to build a pretty solid group of people who listen week in and week out.  Many of them are huge NFL fans, and as the post below says, I'm going to be hosting a "roundtable" discussion with Australian NFL fans (and hopefully American NFL fans who are open to checking out the AFL), to chat about why NFL fans would love the AFL.  The season runs from mid-March through the end of September (I haven't watched an Indians/Guardians game in over two years now.)  

During the season, FS1/FS2 and FoxSoccerPlus generally carry a half dozen of the 9 games each weekend.  

If you are interested at all, drop me a note in the messages here, or you can find the podcast on Twitter and Instagram.  We'll probably be doing this in late January or early February.  I'm going to be doing preview episodes with all 18 of the clubs over the next month or so.  I'm sharing a google doc here with some youtube videos that might interest you.  

I don’t watch AFL, my sport of choice during that time period is the NRL (Australia’s pro rugby league competition. Has a NZ team in it) if I did I would of been keen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

I don’t watch AFL, my sport of choice during that time period is the NRL (Australia’s pro rugby league competition. Has a NZ team in it) if I did I would of been keen.

Oh, I was just referencing the two of you to reinforce the idea that sporting codes don't have to be limited to the country where they're played.  

On 1/9/2023 at 4:03 PM, Bucketheadsdad said:

It's pretty wild that you have had 40k downloads. That is massive achievement. 

I don't get AFL though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Legalized sports betting in Ohio has proven how awful I am at projecting what will happen in sports.

This will be a quick phase in my life

I am unbelievable bad at parlays. I’m like 0-10. Didn’t really lose much money though. I won my free $200 and kept $40 just to play with but lost all $40 on parlays. 

7 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

So, what will be next?  

Bally Sports RSN's preparing for bankruptcy....

Certainly seem as though they overpaid for their product.

OK.....they'll likely stay in business, but MLB seems to want their product back.  

Bally needs to go away. I don’t understand how a company that isn’t carried on every cable service got a strangle hold on all of local sports. They can go to hell. 

• Like 1