2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

We also have this year and next year of Myles/Baker before having to break out probably a total of 250 million in contracts so I see a lot of veteran contracts in the next 1-2 years with 1 year opt outs. Hopefully they manage the cap well and draft well and dont set themselves up for disaster once those 2 contracts come on the books

You know Baker isnt playing 3 more years under his rookie deal if he keeps performing like we all think he will. He'll probably ask for a extension after year 3.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

We also have this year and next year of Myles/Baker before having to break out probably a total of 250 million in contracts so I see a lot of veteran contracts in the next 1-2 years with 1 year opt outs. Hopefully they manage the cap well and draft well and dont set themselves up for disaster once those 2 contracts come on the books

You know Baker isnt playing 3 more years under his rookie deal if he keeps performing like we all think he will. He'll probably ask for a extension after year 3.

it rarely happens that a 1st rd rookie gets the contract extension after year 3 I believe. Hopefully  Baker sits on his deal so they can surround him with the talent. You also dont see it happen too much because the player has no leverage 

Edited by buno67

should we just move Duke to wr. I know our wr group is stacked but he is better at it than ratley and could be a rac machine. 

He could take 25% of the slot snaps and sti be used as a 3rd down back. 

Boundary guys 

Obj

Callaway 

Higgins

Slot 

Juice/duke

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

should we just move Duke to wr. I know our wr group is stacked but he is better at it than ratley and could be a rac machine. 

He could take 25% of the slot snaps and sti be used as a 3rd down back. 

Boundary guys 

Obj

Callaway 

Higgins

Slot 

Juice/duke

Hunt would be the ideal 3rd down back because he is just as good of a receiver as Duke, he still provides a threat to run the ball, and he is hell of a lot better at pass blocking from the RB position. Like that is going to be huge for the Browns when they get Hunt back. He is a very good/solid RB at blocking. I think thats why he could be a major difference maker for the last half of the season and potentially the playoffs.

IDK I still really like Ratley. You dont see a lot of 6'3 with 4.45 speed. He will at least play ST. Duke. Withthe way the depth looks like for our secondary. I might want the end of the bench offensive players playing ST more than the defensive ones. 

• Like 1

People are funny. Give me talent 10/10 over “personality fit” or “culture.”

You know what the winning teams labeled with “good culture” have? Talent. You can keep the choir boys that “work hard.” Give me the dudes who ball when needed.

This all reminds me of when the Cavs big 3 came together and the moronic narrative of “they won’t work because they don’t have a winning culture.” 4 straight NBA Finals and 1 title later.... and yeah the Cavs magically developed a culture. 

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Who aside from Kirksey are our potential/likely cap casualties? 

Bitonio saves 9 million vs the cap, without dead money. Unlikel kirko is good. 

If randall goes to the pro bowl I see him going unsigned. 16 per year is too much for a fs. 

Carrie after 2020

Hubbard would save a bit also, but is cheap for a tackle.

Great podcast. Schematically, the only way you stop the Browns offense next year is to let them dink and dunk you. Baker has a beautiful deep ball. You cannot let him chuck it deep to OBJ / Callaway / Njoku. 

You’re gonna have to live with Jarvis and our running-backs killing you over the middle. That’s not a great defensive strategy either because that’s what makes New England infamous for killing defenses.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, buno67 said:

it rarely happens that a 1st rd rookie gets the contract extension after year 3 I believe. Hopefully  Baker sits on his deal so they can surround him with the talent. You also dont see it happen too much because the player has no leverage 

But sometimes doing it a year early can save you a bit in the long term. Good problem to have. Means we have a good team.