NBA Draft Thread: NO trades 4 to ATL (8/17/35)

NYRaider

9 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Post Lebron:

(Generational prospects)

Dwight

Oden

Durant

AD

Zion

(Elite)

Rose

Beasley

Mayo

Griffin

Wall

Towns

Simmons

Luka will be better than most those guys but as prospects I wouldn’t put him in the category above...

where is hezonja 

16 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Post Lebron:

(Generational prospects)

Dwight

Oden

Durant

AD

Zion

(Elite)

Rose

Beasley

Mayo

Griffin

Wall

Towns

Simmons

Luka will be better than most those guys but as prospects I wouldn’t put him in the category above...

Funny when I saw Griffin on the list I thought you meant Eddie Griffin.  Another outstanding prospect averaged almost 5 blocks a game 17 points and 10 boards as a true freshman in the nasty and deep Big East.  Mind you I am now getting fully aware most never even saw that kid play.  I would say Wall would be in the generational prospects coming out in this short time span list but yeah the NBA draft is such a crap shoot.  Heck who would of thought Tyrus Thomas would suck in the NBA, legit defender, amazing athlete and competitor, could pathetically say Glen Big Baby Davis had a better career than him.  Oh and Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon, Gordon was so damn smooth as a scorer.  

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

There are a few, mind you none are as good of an athlete as Zion so that does come into play of course and is good for Zion.  But many were better shooters and or ball handlers or passers.  Zion is no Ben Simmons or LeBron in terms of his passing ability or handle, great handle for a thicker big player but is no Magic Johnson type either.  

*Marvin Williams - ran like a deer, could shoot, pass and defend.  Decent pro but not the elite player most expected him to be, could be a mentality issue most likely.  

*Royce White - mental problems hurt him at the next level but the kid was probably bigger than Zion and has better passing ability and handle.  Obviously never turned out for him in the league, never really got a chance but also could not ride airplanes either which is impossible to do in the NBA.

*Lamar Odom - insane talent in terms of his size and passing ability, had great handle just mentally was not there and clearly drugs got in the way with him.

*Mike Miller - was not really a bust for where he was drafted, in some ways was a bust.  Never could carry a team and be the super star, awesome handle, good shooter and passer just all around solid player coming into the league.  

*Al-Farouq Aminu - is not a bad player, still decent but I think his upside was a lot higher than what he has show.  Very long and lengthy, good handle and vision, just never has taken it to that next level in the league.

*Evan Turner - another guy, outstanding ball handling skills, defensive skills and just an all around player.  Never has been that in the NBA, bounced around a ton just never got to that elite level in the league.

*DerMarr Johnson - awesome handle for a long lean kid, a little skinny but never did make it big in the league.  Clearly strength was an issue for him.  

*Jared Jeffries - could literally do it all, pass, defend, drill, shoot.  Was a decent role player in the league but nothing elite at all, probably never had the mentality for it.  

*Josh Childress - all around good athletic guard who could do a variety of things.  Clearly left for Greece while in the NBA because he thought he was not getting what he should be getting paid.  

*Charlie Villanueva - big time athlete, had a little handle to his game and was an ok shooter.  Never was that elite in the NBA when he looked great at times in college.  

*Xavier Henry - huge kid, big and strong, not a great passer but was a thick athletic guard that never did anything really in the NBA.

Again none of them are really as thick or as big as Zion, and if one compares Zion's handle to other PF types he beats most of them I would say.  Still one cannot get a clear picture until he plays in the league.  Even the summer league will not show because Lonzo Ball ripped up that league, so did Johnny Flynn and Kris Dunn.  So will have to wait and see what he looks like against real competition and that will be for a little while.  

i asked a fairly simple question of who else has could match zions skillset and none of the guys you listed do, all of them fall short in one or two areas so while even list them?

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Funny when I saw Griffin on the list I thought you meant Eddie Griffin.  Another outstanding prospect averaged almost 5 blocks a game 17 points and 10 boards as a true freshman in the nasty and deep Big East.  Mind you I am now getting fully aware most never even saw that kid play.  I would say Wall would be in the generational prospects coming out in this short time span list but yeah the NBA draft is such a crap shoot.  Heck who would of thought Tyrus Thomas would suck in the NBA, legit defender, amazing athlete and competitor, could pathetically say Glen Big Baby Davis had a better career than him.  Oh and Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon, Gordon was so damn smooth as a scorer.  

I saw Griffin play in college a few times.  He was sick.  That team was really nice.  Samuel Dalembert, Andre Barrett.   Stromile Swift was a more surprising that he wasn't more effective in the NBA than Thomas, even.  Marcus Fizer was another guy from that Swift class.  

13 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Post Lebron:

(Generational prospects)

Dwight

Oden

Durant

AD

Zion

(Elite)

Rose

Beasley

Mayo

Griffin

Wall

Towns

Simmons

ZION is certainly a very unique talent, but no way would I say generational. IMO a Gen talent is a can't miss prospect. Oden doesn't count due to multiple injuries. Zion is not a lock.

7 minutes ago, jyod21 said:

I saw Griffin play in college a few times.  He was sick.  That team was really nice.  Samuel Dalembert, Andre Barrett.   Stromile Swift was a more surprising that he wasn't more effective in the NBA than Thomas, even.  Marcus Fizer was another guy from that Swift class.  

Yeah Eddie was great but did have some mental issues and substance abuse problems that hurt him at the next level.  If he was with KG from the get go his career could have been different I feel.  That Seton Hall team also has Darius Lane who was a baller as well, Dalembert had a decent pro career but nothing amazing, still great team and Eddie was a big time player no doubt coming out. 

Marcus Fizer had a lot of injury issues and was already not a top level athlete, still the NBA is a totally different game and big guys in college succeed because of the competition level, just look at Michael Beasley who just got release yet again.  And yeah Stromile Swift was awesome, I thought Tyrus had better on the ball defensive skills though and a little better shooter, Swift was great as a dunker but a little soft in other areas.  Everyone wanted the next Shawn Kemp though, young Shawn Kemp by the way, still has yet to really be a player like him in the NBA.  I remember the Marquese Chriss talk of him being Shawn Kemp like, yeah right he has really struggled in the NBA.  That early Shawn Kemp Gary Payton Seattle team was so fun to watch play.  

9 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

ZION is certainly a very unique talent, but no way would I say generational. IMO a Gen talent is a can't miss prospect. Oden doesn't count due to multiple injuries. Zion is not a lock.

I don't think that's fair. Oden as a draft prospect, was considered every bit as generational as those other guys.

The way Durant was thought to be a generational scorer as a prospect, Oden was considered a generational defensive big as a prospect.

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

I don't think that's fair. Oden as a draft prospect, was considered every bit as generational as those other guys.

The way Durant was thought to be a generational scorer as a prospect, Oden was considered a generational defensive big as a prospect.

I am not sure what you are saying is unfair. Clearly Oden was a generational Talent I'm just stating that it did not work out because of his extremely injured career

2 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

He's the most unique player to enter the draft in at least a decade and is having arguably the greatest freshman season in the history of college basketball. He's going to be the most hyped player to enter the league since LeBron James.

2 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

I am not sure what you are saying is unfair. Clearly Oden was a generational Talent I'm just stating that it did not work out because of his extremely injured career

I'm just saying it's unfair to say he doesn't count as a "generational prospect" due to injuries suffered in the NBA. What happened once he entered the NBA is moot when talking about him as a prospect.

Archived