THE QUEST FOR THE DC/OC Beginneth!

MistaBohmbastic

20 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

My ONLY concern with Riley is who would be his DC?

If he had to search the college ranks, Dave Aranda is my #1 guy even though he runs a 3-4.

If they can work together I would be fine with Greg Williams staying as DC, I’m nowhere near as down on our D as some are

On 11/2/2018 at 5:41 PM, hornbybrown said:

But all of that stuff does matter a lot. A well executed bad play call can still result in a bad play. 

A good scheme for one QB is a bad scheme for another. 

how many drops we have? how many penalties, crucial penalties? I saw some bad plays this year, but I saw a lot more memorable bad executed plays. Huge drops by our receiving corps. 

22 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

how many drops we have? how many penalties, crucial penalties? I saw some bad plays this year, but I saw a lot more memorable bad executed plays. Huge drops by our receiving corps. 

Don’t disagree but that literally takes nothing away from my point

14 hours ago, candyman93 said:

My ONLY concern with Riley is who would be his DC?

If he had to search the college ranks, Dave Aranda is my #1 guy even though he runs a 3-4.

That’s the biggest issue with him and the other college guys. It be hard to predict what their coaching staffs would look like. Would also hope Dorsey could help connecting him with guys he has interacted with. Mike Smith the LB coach for KC has DC potential

Dorsey would be the lead recruit for a D coordinator. But I really want Gregg Williams to stay for atleast one year to keep some continuity while he installs his offense. 

Ideally Riley would lead the offensive side. Gregg handles the D and a homeless person can handle ST at this point 

17 minutes ago, CleBrowns07 said:

Can someone explain the bonerfest for Riley? Other than his ties with Baker. And other than he’s young so he must be the next mcvay

He has been a head coach for only 2 years. Has zero nfl experience. What about thay resume screams “thats our guy!”

He appears to be a prodigy when it comes to innovative offensive play designing and game planning. Various NFL coaches have consulted him or borrowed from his playbook. Looks like the college football version of Sean McVay.

21 minutes ago, CleBrowns07 said:

Can someone explain the bonerfest for Riley? Other than his ties with Baker. And other than he’s young so he must be the next mcvay

He has been a head coach for only 2 years. Has zero nfl experience. What about thay resume screams “thats our guy!”

that and he just seems to be the right guy at the right moment. The way the NFL is tailoring itself to offense and the offensive style great transforming to the shotgun/spread them out style, that its the perfect time for Riley. Add the fact over the past 4 years with Riley ar Oklahoma they are averaging 45.4 pts a game. Even in the 7 loses Riley has been a part of they have avg 29pts a game. You also add in his youth, his label of being an offensive prodigy. You then go back and look at his time at East Carolina, where his offense avg 34.1 for 5 seasons. He just has a knack for offense. I think Riley is getting all this love now because the past couple years, prolly the 4 years at Oklahoma, they have produced a lot of talent, so scouts and NFL executives have been around him and probably walked away extremely impressed. Its the same way with Campbell at Iowa St. Reports are saying that a lot of NFL walk away from their visits at Iowa St being very impressed on how he is running that program, specially how he has built that program from pretty much nothing.

22 minutes ago, buno67 said:

that and he just seems to be the right guy at the right moment. The way the NFL is tailoring itself to offense and the offensive style great transforming to the shotgun/spread them out style, that its the perfect time for Riley. Add the fact over the past 4 years with Riley ar Oklahoma they are averaging 45.4 pts a game. Even in the 7 loses Riley has been a part of they have avg 29pts a game. You also add in his youth, his label of being an offensive prodigy. You then go back and look at his time at East Carolina, where his offense avg 34.1 for 5 seasons. He just has a knack for offense. I think Riley is getting all this love now because the past couple years, prolly the 4 years at Oklahoma, they have produced a lot of talent, so scouts and NFL executives have been around him and probably walked away extremely impressed. Its the same way with Campbell at Iowa St. Reports are saying that a lot of NFL walk away from their visits at Iowa St being very impressed on how he is running that program, specially how he has built that program from pretty much nothing.

Maybe an even bigger thing is the legions of NFL coaches who were visiting OK this off season to learn about Riley's system. When numerous NFL guys want to mimic you, you're doing something right. Riley has a special knack for using motion, leverage, and route combos to open up receivers and create big plays in both the run and pass games. In addition, dudes coming out of the program love him and gush about their time in that program. 

2 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Maybe an even bigger thing is the legions of NFL coaches who were visiting OK this off season to learn about Riley's system. When numerous NFL guys want to mimic you, you're doing something right. Riley has a special knack for using motion, leverage, and route combos to open up receivers and create big plays in both the run and pass games. In addition, dudes coming out of the program love him and gush about their time in that program. 

yeah to me Riley isnt a gimmichy, he will just scheme you to death. I remember last year vs tOSU, he had so many plays that just beat you from the snap. When the play call did win, Baker then made the play with his ability. Ill never forget how tOSU had no idea how to defend his 20 personnel package.

On 10/30/2018 at 4:38 AM, Mind Character said:

@Kiwibrown

***For me, I don't care how great of an OC or DC the coach is if they can't be an effective CEO

My Essentials for a Browns Head Coach are:

1.) What is the Quality of Teaching/Coaching of the Staff they will hire?

2.) Will the philosophies and adaptability of the OC and QB coach mesh well with Baker Mayfield and elevate/develop his game?

3.) As a HC are they an inspirational football teachers? Can they inspire sacrifice,buy-in and commitment from grown men, instill discipline and mental toughness, hire/motivate/coach up elite coaches on their staff, and remain in control under the toxic sports environment that is Cleveland sports?

4.) Are the DC and defensive coaches that come along with the HC likely to get the most out of our young talent like Myles Garret?

------------

With all that in mind, my top candidates are:

Top-Tier Candidates as Strong CEOs/Full Spectrum Program Leaders With Ability to Hire Elite Staffs at OC/DC/ST/QBC

1.) Mike McCarthy

2a.) David Shaw

--------------

The Elite CEO Head Coach with Concerns over Staff Hire Impact

3.) Dave Toub

3b.) John Harbaugh

-------------------

The Innovative Offensive/Mind OC/HC+Strong CEO Qualities with Concerns over Staff Hire Impact

4.) Chris Peterson

5.) Lincoln Riley

6.) Eric Bieniemy

7.) Dan Mullen

-------------------

Jim Harbaugh, Jim Schwartz, Josh McDaniels types are too emotionally volatile and ego-driven for an effective CEO life with the Browns imo.

John DeFillipo is not even close to the CEO types as his interviews and presence have been really bad in past interviews. This is known in a lot of scouting communities.

Jeremy Bates types are not it.

I mentioned John Harbaugh a few weeks back, but it seems like it is a legit growing possibility.

He's a great leader, and CEO type. It would be interesting to see who his staff hires would be going forward as his OC/DC... Marty Mornhinweg and Don Martindale are not the type of coaches I would want to elevate this team.

Archived