Ryan Fitzpatrick named starter

Elky

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, next destination for Jameis? 

I don't see why if you are the Giants or the Jags, you don't make a play for him before tomorrow. Winston is still young enough to try and turn around, and the Giants are in a bad place, particularly if Herbert doesn't come out. 

The Jags is a little more troublesome, but if they can send Bortles back in the deal, maybe the find a way to get Jameis under the cap next year on the option. There are no better options available for them to try and fix that mess. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't see why if you are the Giants or the Jags, you don't make a play for him before tomorrow.

I see what you're saying but he's on the books for $21 mil next year. That's a lot for a guy who's still considered a work in progress after 4 years.

5 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

I see what you're saying but he's on the books for $21 mil next year. That's a lot for a guy who's still considered a work in progress after 4 years.

That's also not guaranteed (well, for injury it is, but thats it). 

If you're the Giants, it's not that big of a deal. They are slated to have about 35 million in space next year, and with the acquisition of Winston, Eli would certainly be gone, which would net them another 17 million in space, to give them about 52. Jameis would then knock that down to about 31 million, which isn't great, but not horrible. There's really no other better alternative if Herbert doesn't come out. 

If you're the Jags, yeah, that's going to be tight and tough, but that window they have is rapidly, rapidly closing, and they are going to have do so something if they want to try and take advantage of this competitive window, because I think in as little as 2 years, it's gone. With this years roll over, they're going to be right at the cap next year. If Bortles goes back in any trade, that would save them 11 million, so there's that. Dareus or jackson would save them 10 and 11 million. I can't them keeping both of those guys along with campbell for another year at those price points.  So that would give them the 20 million for Jameis between Bortles and one of those two guys. ASJ saves them 4+ million (which would pretty much cover the draft class  for the most part) and Carlos Hyde is nearly a 5 million savings. They'd be tight, but its certainly doable. 

I have backed Jameis up until this past few weeks and I had hope he could turn it around but the guy is just awful. Tampa' s offense is loaded with deep ball receivers but had a QB who could not hit a deep ball. The team also responds better when Fitzpatrick is under helm. Also, seeing how Fitzpatrick has played as opposed to Winston. Does that put Koetter's job even more in jeopardy? That team is more than likely 5-2 if Fitzpatrick had started the last 3 games. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

What's the alternative? There are going to be a few teams in line for Teddy's services and the retread market is going to be pretty barren. Fitzmagic is a FA next year as well, so there's no real guarantee that they are able to bring him back as the starter, though I'd say that they have to be the odds on money favorite since he knows the schemes and players and has shown that he can play well in this scenario. 

I'm going to be fascinated in the way this plays out. I'd honestly be a little shocked if he was gone next year if only because it's the option year, so they really do have him for a one year and prove it type of scenario already. 

tenor.gif?itemid=10489281

2 hours ago, Jimmy Austin said:

I have backed Jameis up until this past few weeks and I had hope he could turn it around but the guy is just awful. Tampa' s offense is loaded with deep ball receivers but had a QB who could not hit a deep ball. The team also responds better when Fitzpatrick is under helm. Also, seeing how Fitzpatrick has played as opposed to Winston. Does that put Koetter's job even more in jeopardy? That team is more than likely 5-2 if Fitzpatrick had started the last 3 games. 

Ummm...YEAH? 

After Winston's dreadful performance at CIN, there was no other decision.    

But let's also recognize that Fitzmagic crumbles with pressure in his face.  The D's he faced didn't take advantage (PHI should have, which is surprising, NO wasn't).   D's who know he's starting will bring the heat.

Still, he's going to make himself one helluva payday next year when he gets a McCown like deal for 2 years (think 2/24M as a floor, even if he sucks this 2nd go around, and obviously Keenum $ if he plays well), so gotta give props, he's earned the next one.

Once TAM is eliminated from playoff contention, they'll go back to Winston, unless Fitzmagic struggles before.   But really, given how bad Winston was, there's really no debate here.   With a GM / coach fighting to keep their job, there is really no other decision that's justifiable.

Archived