Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

1 hour ago, RavensfanRD said:

Question! I'm seeing two different cap numbers

OTC has the Ravens at 1.3

Spotrac has the Ravens at 2.7

Which is it? Anyone know? Sounds like Jimmy Smith would have to be added in a trade in order for something meaningful to shake out.

We could do Yannick without adding Jimmy. Only problem there would be we wouldn’t be able to do an extension and give him a signing bonus this season to secure him before he can even get any thoughts about FA. That would be the only reason to trade away Jimmy or make some alternate cap maneuver.

In my eyes I would rather we trade Willie Snead though. His cap figure is similar enough to Jimmy Smith, he’s less “established” and “important” to this team. Seth Roberts has seemingly replaced what Snead provides for us, especially with Sneads hands failing too often in important situations. Also our TEs, Hurst especially could better supplant Sneads role, athleticism, all with better hands and size to boot.

Snead also isn’t useless and could benefit a team with a young QB that is lacking weapons. I’m sure he could see the field with the Jaguars as they develop Minshew.

We could them convert most of his salary this season into part of the prorated signing bonus figure we supply to Yannick for an extension. Being able to unload Sneads salary and provide the extension would make the trade worth it.

So something like...

Jaguars receive:

- Willie Snead

- 2020 1st Round

- 2020 3rd Round

- 2021 Conditional 3rd

Ravens receive:

- Yannick Ngouke (extension)

- 2020 5th round

- 2021 conditional 6th round

Would allow us to keep a similar number of picks, just get them in later rounds to resupply our defensive depth. It would allow us to acquire an elite pass rusher and lock him up. And the Jaguars get prime time value for a guy likely to leave their franchise in free agency. Yannick gets to get paid sooner and play for one of the best run organizations in the NFL. Wins all around.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Question! I'm seeing two different cap numbers

OTC has the Ravens at 1.3

Spotrac has the Ravens at 2.7

Which is it? Anyone know? Sounds like Jimmy Smith would have to be added in a trade in order for something meaningful to shake out.

I would use Brian McFarland's spreadsheet if you want the most accurate numbers specifically for the Ravens, which is found at the bottom of this page https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/

He has it as $1.9 in cap space

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I'd take him but I doubt we get the chance if he has to go through waivers

Likely true. I guess the hope would be that only the contenders would be looking to take on what is definitely a more complicated transaction/acquisition, just in terms of managing the situation. And we'd be in front of the Packers/Saints/Bills on waiver priority who are I suspect the major buyers on the WR market right now. But odds are somebody will take a flyer on him before we get the chance. 

Honest question: why is everyone on Ravens twitter freaking out about Justin Bethel? I honestly can't remember a single big special teams play he's made all year (a downed punt inside the 5, big tackle on punt/kick coverage, etc). I remember Trawick making a lot more plays for us in those areas a few years ago than Bethel has this year.

I think this has been a case of a guy coming in with the "special teams ace" label and people a. just kind of rolling with it because they don't pay a ton of attention to special teams and b. belichick picking him up so people automatically assuming he's the second coming of Steve Tasker.

I mean go look at the NFL News and this forum's threads about when we signed him...literally everyone going "meh".

Has a solid if not quiet 7 weeks, cut to get a 4th round pick, Belichick signs him and everyone's like "omg that's the GOAT midseason signing how could we have let him go" lol.

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Honest question: why is everyone on Ravens twitter freaking out about Justin Bethel? I honestly can't remember a single big special teams play he's made all year (a downed punt inside the 5, big tackle on punt/kick coverage, etc). I remember Trawick making a lot more plays for us in those areas a few years ago than Bethel has this year.

I think this has been a case of a guy coming in with the "special teams ace" label and people a. just kind of rolling with it because they don't pay a ton of attention to special teams and b. belichick picking him up so people automatically assuming he's the second coming of Steve Tasker.

I mean go look at the NFL News and this forum's threads about when we signed him...literally everyone going "meh".

Has a solid if not quiet 7 weeks, cut to get a 4th round pick, Belichick signs him and everyone's like "omg that's the GOAT midseason signing how could we have let him go" lol.

1. He's one of the best ST's players in the NFL, especially on kickoff/punt coverage.

2. He's going to the team we play in 2 weeks....

Not really hard to figure out why people are upset lol

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

1. He's one of the best ST's players in the NFL, especially on kickoff/punt coverage.

2. He's going to the team we play in 2 weeks....

Not really hard to figure out why people are upset lol

And i just spent that entire post explaining why i think your #1 is overstated.

I'd be much more concerned with reason #2.