2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

1 minute ago, FinneasGage said:

Our cap situation is TIGHT 

It's not desperate, but we're not swimming in it, either.

We have about 12M left when you factor in the rookie cap pool. That's enough for normal operations, some low-level signings, and we can fit in an extension for Clark. 

If we want to sign other starting-level players, we'll likely have to resort to cuts. Here are the options regarding higher salary players in two last years of contract (I'm not promoting any moves in particular):

- Cut Tramon Williams --> 4.75M cap saving, 1.625M dead money
- Cut Mason Crosby --> 3.6M cap saving, 1.25M dead
- Cut Jimmy Graham --> 5.3M cap saving, 7.3M dead
- Cut Lane Taylor --> 2.9M cap saving, 2.5M dead
- Cut Corey Linsley --> 4.15M cap saving, 4M dead
- Cut Bryan Bulaga --> 6.7M cap saving, 1.6M dead
- Cut or extend Mike Daniels --> If cut, 8.3M cap saving, 2.4M dead
- Extend David Bakhtiari --> Could maybe finagle in ballpark of ~5M savings for 2019 by converting salary to signing bonus, but this would certainly bite us in the butt later.

Additionally, unless there's a massive hike in cap, we'll have more decisions to make if we want a similar FA haul in 2020. The cap hits of the 4 signings plus AR & Adams jump by a total of 35M next year. That is BARELY offset by Perry's dead cap (11M) coming off books along with some big salaries (Daniels+Bulaga+Tramon+Crosby --> ~30M in 2020 cap space).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, salmar80 said:

It's not desperate, but we're not swimming in it, either.

We have about 12M left when you factor in the rookie cap pool. That's enough for normal operations, some low-level signings, and we can fit in an extension for Clark. 

If we want to sign other starting-level players, we'll likely have to resort to cuts. Here are the options regarding higher salary players in two last years of contract (I'm not promoting any moves in particular):

- Cut Tramon Williams --> 4.75M cap saving, 1.625M dead money
- Cut Mason Crosby --> 3.6M cap saving, 1.25M dead
- Cut Jimmy Graham --> 5.3M cap saving, 7.3M dead
- Cut Lane Taylor --> 2.9M cap saving, 2.5M dead
- Cut Corey Linsley --> 4.15M cap saving, 4M dead
- Cut Bryan Bulaga --> 6.7M cap saving, 1.6M dead
- Cut or extend Mike Daniels --> If cut, 8.3M cap saving, 2.4M dead
- Extend David Bakhtiari --> Could maybe finagle in ballpark of ~5M savings for 2019 by converting salary to signing bonus, but this would certainly bite us in the butt later.

Additionally, unless there's a massive hike in cap, we'll have more decisions to make if we want a similar FA haul in 2020. The cap hits of the 4 signings plus AR & Adams jump by a total of 35M next year. That is BARELY offset by Perry's dead cap (11M) coming off books along with some big salaries (Daniels+Bulaga+Tramon+Crosby --> ~30M in 2020 cap space).

It's probably closer to $9.2M as you can see in my other threads.  But looking at the potential cap casualties, the only one whose realistically in jeopardy is Tramon Williams and I don't think they'd do that without adding another CB or S in FA.  That's where Breeland could come into play.  If they re-signed him, they'd likely create the cap space by releasing Tramon.  Mason Crosby won't be a cap casualty.  If he gets released, it'll be because he got outplayed in camp.  They've already said Jimmy Graham is coming back, so I don't anticipate him being released.  We don't have replacements for Lane Taylor or Corey Linsley, so neither are likely to get released.  Bryan Bulaga is a bargain, we're not releasing him.

6 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don’t know anything about this guy but others are retweeting him.

It makes sense. I think we should bring him back on the cheap and shuffle him inside. It'd give us more blitz package options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, salmar80 said:

OTC has us at $57.2M and Spotrac has us at $26M.  OTC is projecting $12M jump in salary cap, while Spotrac has the salary cap projected at $188M.  So even if you add that, the Packers have roughly $40M in cap space next offseason.  The only significant FA they'll have is Kenny Clark, whom I'm anticipating a contract extension for prior to him hitting FA.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's probably closer to $9.2M as you can see in my other threads.  But looking at the potential cap casualties, the only one whose realistically in jeopardy is Tramon Williams and I don't think they'd do that without adding another CB or S in FA.  That's where Breeland could come into play.  If they re-signed him, they'd likely create the cap space by releasing Tramon.  Mason Crosby won't be a cap casualty.  If he gets released, it'll be because he got outplayed in camp.  They've already said Jimmy Graham is coming back, so I don't anticipate him being released.  We don't have replacements for Lane Taylor or Corey Linsley, so neither are likely to get released.  Bryan Bulaga is a bargain, we're not releasing him.

I certainly agree. Just wanted to list all the even theoretical options. Tramon is certainly in most danger.

I'm taking all salary cap numbers with a grain of salt at this time, thinking 'em more as ballpark figures. Hard to account for everything, which is one reason Ball is paid to handle it. 

I had a huge lob on for Ogbah in the draft a few years ago. I would be delighted for him to join us. Unfortunately we already devoted a sizable percentage of the salary cap on our new edge rushers and throw in Perry's dead cap hit as well I can't see it happening tbh. Theoretically if we wanted to we could cancel one of the new edge rusher deals and make a move for him instead. Wouldn't that be scandalous!

As for Nelson. Sign him up for 1 year at veteran minimum! He can transition to doing some slot work for us, improve our red zone threat and i'm pretty sure he can still do sideline over the shoulder catches too from time to time. Just not gonna beat anyone deep as often as he used to. I'm still of the opinion that LaFleur will want to add speed on the flanks so Nelson could be a no-goer unfortunately.

I would welcome back Matthews with open arms if he agrees to make a position change to ILB and relegate himself to being situational edge rusher only.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

OTC has us at $57.2M and Spotrac has us at $26M.  OTC is projecting $12M jump in salary cap, while Spotrac has the salary cap projected at $188M.  So even if you add that, the Packers have roughly $40M in cap space next offseason.  The only significant FA they'll have is Kenny Clark, whom I'm anticipating a contract extension for prior to him hitting FA.

It may not be as dire as I project, but I'm pretty sure those sites' engines underestimate the fact that in addition to the current 34 contracts showing on 2020 books (on OTC), those remaining 17 contracts won't all be minimum salary deals. 

I'd be elated if we entered the 2020 offseason with 40M, but I remain skeptical. 

1 minute ago, Gopackgonerd said:

If we bring back Matthew's I just hope hes ILB full time. Or bring in Zach Brown and we are sitting nicely to pick best available even more at 12

IDC if he moves around but definitely the majority inside I think.