2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

15 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the Packers need to bowl Earl Thomas over with an offer he can't refuse on the first day of free agency.

As much as I'd love it if we got him, he's made it crystal clear that he wants to play in Dallas, so I'm pretty sure that's off the table, though another safety I'd fall in love with us signing is Landon Collins. If we double-dipped in both FA and the draft for safety and edge rusher and came away with Smith/Clowney/Houston, Collins, Polite and Adderley, that'd go a long way to fixing the defense, our pass D already showed signs of progress last year without much of a passrush and many of our DBs injured and/or playing new positions throughout much of the year. 

I know he's one of the top tier safeties in FA, but we might be able to get him on a relatively cap-friendly deal since the position is somewhat devalued. We also have the pull, don't believe me?

He and Rodgers would have the polar opposite rapport of Barr and AR12.

Edited by KManX89
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KManX89 said:

He and Rodgers would have the polar opposite rapport of Barr and AR12.

I'm sorry, but we should sign defensive players because they say kind things about our QB?  Neither Barr nor Collins would ever be on the field with ARodg at the same time.  Gute can't let the 'I like Rodgers' thing to effect FA.

2 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I'm sorry, but we should sign defensive players because they say kind things about our QB?  Neither Barr nor Collins would ever be on the field with ARodg at the same time.  Gute can't let the 'I like Rodgers' thing to effect FA.

No, we should make attempts at signing him because he's one of the better safeties in FA (assuming the Giants don't re-sign or tag him) and would fill a huge position of need. Some people underestimate just how important the safety position is in Pettine's defense, he likes to run a lot of 3 safety sets and we don't have a single starting caliber safety ATM. Of course I'd love Earl Thomas in this defense more, but he and Dallas sounds like a done deal and LC would arguably be the next best thing (besides maybe Mathieu). He also doesn't have the injury baggage. 

Plus he would clearly be open to signing with us if he hits the market. See how Mo Wilk's rapport with Mike Pettine allowed us to lure him to GB last year.

Run D was another huge area of weakness last year, Liuget could help with that-and make life easier for Polite and maybe Houston, who I can see being a KC cap casualty with them switching to a 4-3 under Spags-but he might be demanding too much money and attention from other teams. His quad also needs to check out.

6 minutes ago, SaginawReunion83 said:

Brandon Marshall is reportedly parting ways with the Denver Broncos. Would you be interested in bringing a SuperBowl Champion vet to Green Bay on a low cap deal to pair with Blake?

Been hurt 2 of the last 3 years.  Pretty good ILB when healthy, though.

He's a guy I'd wait on till after the draft, but if we don't grab another ILB, he would be a nice "value" guy to bring in.

acme packers breaking down Breeland's value vs other deals around the league

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/free-agency-2019-green-bay-packers/2019/2/15/18226122/packers-free-agency-2019-bashaud-breeland-contract-value-how-much-money

"We already mentioned Breeland’s deal last year, however, and an $8 million average value would put him at 23rd at the position right now. That seems relatively close to where he belongs, though lingering concerns about that foot injury could depress his value a bit "

3 hours ago, SaginawReunion83 said:

Brandon Marshall is reportedly parting ways with the Denver Broncos. Would you be interested in bringing a SuperBowl Champion vet to Green Bay on a low cap deal to pair with Blake?

Well, I'd probably kick the tires but it wouldn't be becauses he's a "Superbowl Champion vet" that title holds no weight to whether they'd be useful to improving our roster.

29 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Well, I'd probably kick the tires but it wouldn't be becauses he's a "Superbowl Champion vet" that title holds no weight to whether they'd be useful to improving our roster.

I brought up the SuperBowl experience because of what he could bring to a locker room where very few have that same experience.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 8:21 AM, Arthur Penske said:

I keep reading Lang is going to get cut in Det. I know he's been hurt but didn't get a chance to watch him much this year.Is he done or could he be a one year rental at OG?

Maybe throw a minimum deal at him if you want, but that body is done.  He's played 19 games over the last 2 seasons, and that probably isn't getting any better.

10 hours ago, KManX89 said:

As much as I'd love it if we got him, he's made it crystal clear that he wants to play in Dallas, so I'm pretty sure that's off the table, though another safety I'd fall in love with us signing is Landon Collins. If we double-dipped in both FA and the draft for safety and edge rusher and came away with Smith/Clowney/Houston, Collins, Polite and Adderley, that'd go a long way to fixing the defense, our pass D already showed signs of progress last year without much of a passrush and many of our DBs injured and/or playing new positions throughout much of the year. 

I know he's one of the top tier safeties in FA, but we might be able to get him on a relatively cap-friendly deal since the position is somewhat devalued. We also have the pull, don't believe me?

He was born in Texas, played high school ball in Texas, and played college football at Texas.  No wonder he wants to go back to Texas.  But if the Cowboys' offer doesn't come in at an appropriate level, you think he's going to leave significant money on the table?  I don't think so.  I think he was so upset with Seattle that he wanted out, so he created himself a market.  Don't get me wrong, if the numbers are close I think he'd end up going to Dallas but if the numbers aren't I don't think he's giving up money to go to Dallas.  Honestly, I'd be surprised if Landon Collins wasn't tagged.  The Giants want him back, and you'd have to assume that he'll want to get paid.  Seems like a natural reunion.  The chances of getting him at a cap-friendly deal is unlikely.