2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

7 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

I don't understand why people think that Pettine just doesn't value or use EDGE pressure. There's some weird groupthink going on with this idea that doesn't make any sense.

That's not what was said at all.  Recent stats show how fast QBs are getting rid of the ball and if you can't pressure up the middle you can't get to them.  I never commented on Pettine's preference at all.  Brady didn't get sacked through the AFC playoffs once, Edge needs time to get there, you have to have pressure up the middle.

Edited by Dubz41

Why can't we have both edge and interior rush?  Does it have to be just one?  Double dip with draft and free agency.  It's obvious we need help at each.  Don't really care if free agency gets us either one but it certainly must be done preferably with top end talent.  I've seen enough mediocre.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Why can't we have both edge and interior rush?  Does it have to be just one?  Double dip with draft and free agency.  It's obvious we need help at each.  Don't really care if free agency gets us either one but it certainly must be done preferably with top end talent.  I've seen enough mediocre.

Go back and watch this team early in the year on defense. Before all of our CB's got hurt and WIlkerson we were shaping up to be pretty good. I actually think we have decent d-line, but need one stud interior rusher. IMO, I'd love David Irving, assuming he has his life in order, big question. 

I'm resigned to the fact we'll bring Perry back as well. Need a free agent EDGE rusher and one in the first round. 

8 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-projecting-landing-spots-for-the-nfls-top-free-agents-in-2019

PFf has Earl to GB. I had forgot that there is a Pettine- Thomas connection, albeit could be weak from when he was just a consultant 

Yep .. seems like a fit to me.  He's super productive and a leader .. just got to hope he can stay healthy.  I'd take the gamble for sure .. and as I said before the Packers should bowl him over with an offer.  I know a lot of people think he's destined for Dallas, but I'm not sure they can throw him a top offer with all of their other players they need to get inked.  The Packers can truly make Earl Thomas their free agent prize.

9 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-projecting-landing-spots-for-the-nfls-top-free-agents-in-2019

PFf has Earl to GB. I had forgot that there is a Pettine- Thomas connection, albeit could be weak from when he was just a consultant 

Irony, none of these guys are getting tagged according to them which seems an impossibility. I'd like to have Thomas but don't think it will happen. 

Getting Thomas would add SO much to this Defense. Imagine what having someone like Thomas in the locker room would do for guys like Jaire, Josh Jackson, Tony Brown, etc. If we were to sign 1 & only 1 FA this offseason I would want Earl. Ron Wolf got Reggie, Ted got Woodson, Gute's gotta get his guy.

45 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yep .. seems like a fit to me.  He's super productive and a leader .. just got to hope he can stay healthy.  I'd take the gamble for sure .. and as I said before the Packers should bowl him over with an offer.  I know a lot of people think he's destined for Dallas, but I'm not sure they can throw him a top offer with all of their other players they need to get inked.  The Packers can truly make Earl Thomas their free agent prize.

Maybe Jimmy can help recruit him.

4 minutes ago, gopackgo27 said:

Getting Thomas would add SO much to this Defense. Imagine what having someone like Thomas in the locker room would do for guys like Jaire, Josh Jackson, Tony Brown, etc. If we were to sign 1 & only 1 FA this offseason I would want Earl. Ron Wolf got Reggie, Ted got Woodson, Gute's gotta get his guy.

All of these players are/were around the same age 29/30 when they hit the market.  Reggie and Woodson had a lot left in the tank and put together several excellent seasons.  Woodson had also battled injuries quite a bit in Oakland, but stayed relatively injury free in GB.  I think a similar path awaits Earl Thomas.  Go get him!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

Earl has basically played 8 seasons worth of games. i think hes got 2 good seasons left in him. Packers just need to throw the bag at him.

I'd be cautious about a player that has been carted off the field two of the last three seasons because of broken bones in his legs.