2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Johnathan Abram

So...I did watch some of his stuff.  If you don't like Josh Jones, you aren't going to like him.  He's a hitter.  True strong safety with box skills.  If you want a safety to play a hybrid LB role, he's a beast.  I saw him miss quite a bit, though.  But...he's fast coming forward, big hitter.  Hips were okay for a safety, but I thought Josh Jones looked better when flipping hips and having to turn and run.

I didn't see him cover well at all.  And I rarely saw him trying to cover space.

He's not what I want at safety.  He would have been an animal back there 15-20 years ago.

With Amos on board, aren't we looking more for a Free Safety? I didnt get the sense Amos's skill set was as a free-wheeling / play centerfield kinda guy.

We're kinda stuck in the middle.....
Josh Jones is a Safety we want to make a box safety - or we were and it failed - so we moved him back and the results were....inconclusive.
Oren Burks was a Safety thats trying to transfer to ILB and results from his rookie year were.....inconclusive as well.

I like CGJ cause he can cover ground out there.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Leader said:

True dat - and CMs not gonna be around forever - but at 12 (?) or could we designate a lower draft slot to the position given recent adds (and theoretically....) CMs return?

I think that's fair to say. Granted, I don't want Brian Burns to wear any other colors than Green & Gold. The interesting part is that Za'Darius  had great success pass rushing from the interior. It makes me think that OLB could still a top priority in the draft (I have zero faith in Fackrell). With as many holes as this team still has, the selection should be best player available (minus QB). 

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

With Amos on board, aren't we looking more for a Free Safety? I didnt get the sense Amos's skill set was as a free-wheeling / play centerfield kinda guy.

We're kinda stuck in the middle.....
Josh Jones is a Safety we want to make a box safety - or we were and it failed - so we moved him back and the results were....inconclusive.
Oren Burks was a Safety thats trying to transfer to ILB and results from his rookie year were.....inconclusive as well.

I like CGJ cause he can cover ground out there.

If it were me?  Absolutely I want a free safety.  But if you are a team that wants a hard hitting/box type safety, Abram will be enticing.

I still think there is a role for Josh Jones on the team.

Amos, I think it was Outpost31 who correctly summed him up.  He's Morgan Burnett.  He'll be steady.  Not give up the big plays.  Won't make splash INTS either.  But we can hope for more.  I think he can play centerfield.  I think he can cover space.  I think he's better moving forward and playing near the LOS.

From what I saw, and granted I haven't watched Thornill, but CGJ is ready to start right away.  I think Adderly can play right away, too.  I just don't think his instincts are quite to CGJ's level just yet.  They are good, but I really liked how quickly CGJ figured things out on tape.  He anticipated things better.

11 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Adderly is likely the best fit to go along side Amos if you want a range-y free safety “type”.

He should be there at 30 and maybe 44.

Yeah - he was listed first of the Safeties - btw - I'm pulling this data from The Draft Network.

He's listed as the top Safety.....but for some reason they only rated him two out of five stars. Sounds like he's small and fast.

Nasir Adderley

Range - Calling his range elite might be a tad generous, but can absolutely get to the boundary from the sideline in a timely fashion. Has for real speed (I'll be shocked if he doesn't run at least 4.5s) and the closing burst to arrive in time to contested throwing windows. Good length to help close down space. Good read-and-reaction timing from single-high position.

Ball Skills - Was not targeted a ton in 2018, but over the course of his career has consistently shown the ability to make plays at the catch point. Ability to elevate and pluck the ball is outstanding. One-handed interception he made in 2017 is among the toughest catches I've seen. Consistently competes at the catch point and contends for the football in the air every time. Doesn't settle for the big hit, always has his eyes on the prize.

Man Coverage - Cornerback experience has absolutely paid off. Terrific patience at the line of scrimmage and ability to mirror receivers out of their breaks with smooth footwork. Last two years has not spent as much time in man coverage in games I've seen, so tough to say how skills have developed. From off-coverage, impressive burst to close and make plays on the ball. As an outside corner playing vertical routes, typically played the pocket more than he did get his head around to contest the ball.

Fluidity/Agility - Outstanding athlete with terrific short-area movement skills and quick-twitch change of direction. Seemed very loose in the hips and ability to open up and run on a moment's notice is top-notch. Consistently altered angles on the move and still arrived in time to help make a play.

Tackling - Excellent form tackler who will wrap up and drive through contact. Delivers big hits as frequently as possible, but won't abandon form for a knockout blow every time. Occasionally allows a runner to slip his grasp on a low tackle, but generally gets his man on the ground. Come over the middle on him, keep your head on a swivel.

Run Defense - Outrageously physical taking on blocks. Feels cracks coming and will take receivers apart if they challenge him physically. Stood up an offensive lineman and rocked the world of two tight ends when Delaware playing North Dakota State, despite his team getting blown out. Will fly up to the edge and turn runs back inside by blowing up the perimeter blocker. Uses his hands to shed, but also knows when to lower a shoulder and leverage a gap with some knock-back. Terrific timing to trigger downhill in run support, never hesitates to get in on a gang tackle. Takes mostly good angles to the ball, occasionally slightly aggressive in his pursuit to the perimeter.

Route Recognition - The more I watched, the more impressed I was. Consistently recognizes key offensive concepts and drives on them right away. Plays instinctive and trusts his reads. Can tell he recognizes certain things from film study, especially receiver screen concepts. As a middle of the field zone defender, made life miserable at catch point for receivers with his ability to recognize patterns developing and drive on the ball.

Versatility - Plays single-high, in the box and occasionally in the slot for Delaware, showing the ability to do all three at a high level. Man coverage reps were somewhat limited in the tape I saw, and he rarely blitzed, but see no reason why those couldn't be strengths of his as well.

Competitive Toughness - Extremely physical and hard-nosed with an elite competitive motor. Played his heart out in a blowout loss to North Dakota State, chasing down every play from all over the field. Relentless competitor who does not back down from anyone and plays with excellent conditioning.

Athleticism/Size - Hitting 200 pounds will be key for him at the Senior Bowl/Combine, but plays like a linebacker at whatever his current weight is. Play strength is a huge positive in his eval, arms appear to be decently long as well. Looks like an outstanding athlete amongst FCS level competition, but Combine testing will reveal all.

BEST TRAIT - Physicality/Closing Burst

WORST TRAIT - Man Coverage (due to heavy deep safety usage last two years)

RED FLAGS - None

One of the most exciting things about being a draft evaluator is finding players like Adderley that you never expected to be anything special, yet they blow you away on tape. The toughest thing about Adderley's evaluation was finding a weakness, as he appears to be a top-notch athlete with exceptional short-area quickness and fluidity, while also possessing the ability to open up and cover ground with speed and range as a single-high safety.

He's incredibly physical, bringing the fight to everyone on the field without sacrificing technique or responsibility. I think he'll check in around 205 pounds with an ideal build for a deep safety, yet also perfectly sized to slide into the slot against all types of receivers when a team needs that role filled as well. The only real question mark with Adderley is the level of competition he faces, as he wasn't targeted a ton and will need to adjust some to the speed of the NFL game. His traits and intangibles seem to be perfectly in line with the top safeties in the league today, and as long as he checks boxes at the Senior Bowl and Combine, Adderley will likely be a top 15-30 player on my board.

(Bottom line - I'd like to KILL OFF the EDGE and Safety positions. Somehow, some way.....put the bodies in place that are gonna get us there for the foreseeable future)

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

If Tramon gets cut we have a rookie DB coach and Kevin King the eldest member of the secondary. We should definitely be looking at Berry.

Amos is actually the oldest in the secondary. 

IMO, Amos and Berry fill the same role.  Think we need a FS/ centerfield type instead.  Also not sure how much Berry has left after that achilles injury.

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yeah - he was listed first of the Safeties - btw - I'm pulling this data from The Draft Network.

He's listed as the top Safety.....but for some reason they only rated him two out of five stars. Sounds like he's small and fast.

Nasir Adderley

Range - Calling his range elite might be a tad generous, but can absolutely get to the boundary from the sideline in a timely fashion. Has for real speed (I'll be shocked if he doesn't run at least 4.5s) and the closing burst to arrive in time to contested throwing windows. Good length to help close down space. Good read-and-reaction timing from single-high position.

Ball Skills - Was not targeted a ton in 2018, but over the course of his career has consistently shown the ability to make plays at the catch point. Ability to elevate and pluck the ball is outstanding. One-handed interception he made in 2017 is among the toughest catches I've seen. Consistently competes at the catch point and contends for the football in the air every time. Doesn't settle for the big hit, always has his eyes on the prize.

Man Coverage - Cornerback experience has absolutely paid off. Terrific patience at the line of scrimmage and ability to mirror receivers out of their breaks with smooth footwork. Last two years has not spent as much time in man coverage in games I've seen, so tough to say how skills have developed. From off-coverage, impressive burst to close and make plays on the ball. As an outside corner playing vertical routes, typically played the pocket more than he did get his head around to contest the ball.

Fluidity/Agility - Outstanding athlete with terrific short-area movement skills and quick-twitch change of direction. Seemed very loose in the hips and ability to open up and run on a moment's notice is top-notch. Consistently altered angles on the move and still arrived in time to help make a play.

Tackling - Excellent form tackler who will wrap up and drive through contact. Delivers big hits as frequently as possible, but won't abandon form for a knockout blow every time. Occasionally allows a runner to slip his grasp on a low tackle, but generally gets his man on the ground. Come over the middle on him, keep your head on a swivel.

Run Defense - Outrageously physical taking on blocks. Feels cracks coming and will take receivers apart if they challenge him physically. Stood up an offensive lineman and rocked the world of two tight ends when Delaware playing North Dakota State, despite his team getting blown out. Will fly up to the edge and turn runs back inside by blowing up the perimeter blocker. Uses his hands to shed, but also knows when to lower a shoulder and leverage a gap with some knock-back. Terrific timing to trigger downhill in run support, never hesitates to get in on a gang tackle. Takes mostly good angles to the ball, occasionally slightly aggressive in his pursuit to the perimeter.

Route Recognition - The more I watched, the more impressed I was. Consistently recognizes key offensive concepts and drives on them right away. Plays instinctive and trusts his reads. Can tell he recognizes certain things from film study, especially receiver screen concepts. As a middle of the field zone defender, made life miserable at catch point for receivers with his ability to recognize patterns developing and drive on the ball.

Versatility - Plays single-high, in the box and occasionally in the slot for Delaware, showing the ability to do all three at a high level. Man coverage reps were somewhat limited in the tape I saw, and he rarely blitzed, but see no reason why those couldn't be strengths of his as well.

Competitive Toughness - Extremely physical and hard-nosed with an elite competitive motor. Played his heart out in a blowout loss to North Dakota State, chasing down every play from all over the field. Relentless competitor who does not back down from anyone and plays with excellent conditioning.

Athleticism/Size - Hitting 200 pounds will be key for him at the Senior Bowl/Combine, but plays like a linebacker at whatever his current weight is. Play strength is a huge positive in his eval, arms appear to be decently long as well. Looks like an outstanding athlete amongst FCS level competition, but Combine testing will reveal all.

BEST TRAIT - Physicality/Closing Burst

WORST TRAIT - Man Coverage (due to heavy deep safety usage last two years)

RED FLAGS - None

One of the most exciting things about being a draft evaluator is finding players like Adderley that you never expected to be anything special, yet they blow you away on tape. The toughest thing about Adderley's evaluation was finding a weakness, as he appears to be a top-notch athlete with exceptional short-area quickness and fluidity, while also possessing the ability to open up and cover ground with speed and range as a single-high safety.

He's incredibly physical, bringing the fight to everyone on the field without sacrificing technique or responsibility. I think he'll check in around 205 pounds with an ideal build for a deep safety, yet also perfectly sized to slide into the slot against all types of receivers when a team needs that role filled as well. The only real question mark with Adderley is the level of competition he faces, as he wasn't targeted a ton and will need to adjust some to the speed of the NFL game. His traits and intangibles seem to be perfectly in line with the top safeties in the league today, and as long as he checks boxes at the Senior Bowl and Combine, Adderley will likely be a top 15-30 player on my board.

(Bottom line - I'd like to KILL OFF the EDGE and Safety positions. Somehow, some way.....put the bodies in place that are gonna get us there for the foreseeable future)

He's actually got really good size.  Will be interesting to see how he grades out athletically because he sat out the combine with an injury.  His biggest issue is probably the competition he played against.  If he played at a power 5 school he'd have probably been in the top 15-20 conversation.  

I know this is lofty, but he reminds me a little of 36 (in the NFL).  Small school safety who's got FS range and ball skills but hits like a SS.  He's got similar size and length (don't know about athleticism yet). Like Collins, he's got great hands and is electric with the ball in his hands.  

Edited by SSG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

If Tramon gets cut we have a rookie DB coach and Kevin King the eldest member of the secondary. We should definitely be looking at Berry.

Sure would be nice to be able to put the CB situation to bed considering all we've invested, but we can't. Tramon earned every penny of his contract and then some. We still need someone like him around IMO. Kevin King's struggles to stay on the field are frustrating. Josh Jackson's struggles add more frustration. Jaire was even nicked up and missed time. Can Tony Brown take the next step ? A collapsing pocket on a regular basis wouldn't hurt either.

1 hour ago, OnaBadger58 said:

I think that's fair to say. Granted, I don't want Brian Burns to wear any other colors than Green & Gold. The interesting part is that Za'Darius  had great success pass rushing from the interior. It makes me think that OLB could still a top priority in the draft (I have zero faith in Fackrell). With as many holes as this team still has, the selection should be best player available (minus QB). 

fackrell is also a FA after next year, so a draft pick is still in play at EDGE with Perry gone and CM3 unknown.