2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Agreed.

An observation about Gute.........
I'm liking him because he's less reactionary and more proactive than I believe TT had become.

I saw this as an instance of a GM making changes on the field in a way the HC couldnt. Gute determined JN was retarding DA's growth - that AR was gonna just keep priming that pump - so he removed him. That plus - he considered JN's tank on empty.

So - he moved on from Nelson - drafted three young studs - and now has moved on from Cobb. 

When he drafts another EDGE guy this year - he will have repeated the process at that position. Maybe (unlikely) he brings CM back on some short stint contract - but I bet he wont.

I like the way he handles / constructs a roster.

I concur. I think his first year as GM was tough to judge because McCarthy was doomed no matter what the roster looked like. It was going to happen one of these years. I’m not going to hang the failure of that doomed season on Gute’s first year as GM. We can talk about his good moves and his bad moves in 2018, and there were some of both, but as far as I’m concerned, my judgement of his GM tenure began in earnest a couple days ago.. 

That Graham contract is a big F for me. I'm sick of these washed up TE's like Bennett and Graham robbing us every year. Thank God we have two 1sts. Just grab the best available at 30 and be done already. Can't believe in 8 years we still haven't found a replacement for Finley's production.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, St Vince said:

That Graham contract is a big F for me. I'm sick of these washed up TE's like Bennett and Graham robbing us every year. Thank God we have two 1sts. Just grab the best available at 30 and be done already. Can't believe in 8 years we still haven't found a replacement for Finley's production.

I am frustrated with Graham's production but I think the way Gute is looking at it, he has nothing to really lose by keeping Graham for this year. Either Graham steps up and Gute's first big FA signing pans out OR Graham performs at a similar level and Gute comes out not looking much worse than today.

I am really hoping we can get Hockenson or Fant. Preferably the former simply because he is a better all-around TE. In an ideal scenario what I would have loved is dropping Graham, picking up  Tate in FA and then Hockenson at the draft.

18 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I’m still looking for Bubba Franks’ replacement.

• Like 1

For years people claimed we are unable to attract FAs under the age of 30 and that did prove to be true.

For the first time in a while Gute has acquired several FAs under the age of 30 but I suspect that did mean offering more coin in order to bring them to Green Bay whereas in the past we would've stuck to our lower price rigidly and hoped he would still be swayed to join us. This is proof that by simply offering more coin it helped overcome the barrier to attract under 30 FAs to Green Bay.

I think moving forward a slight tweak to how we approach FA is required and is made a permanent part of our acquisition policies.

The downside is we lose the ability to gather compensatory picks. Maybe picking up FAs on one year deals and letting them go the following year for big coin is the way forward but the comp picks may get cancelled out if we acquire FAs. So that leaves only one option to build draft picks and that is to trade more often.

11 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

QB: 
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Blake Bortles
Trevor Siemian

RB:
TJ Yeldon
Anthony Sherman

WR:
Michael Crabtree

TE:
Jared Cook
Maxx Williams

DL:
Tim Jernigan 
Allen Bailey
Mo Wilkerson

ILB:
Clay Matthews
Mark Barron
Jake Ryan

EDGE:
Justin Houston
Ezekiel Ansah
Shaq Barrett 
Brandon Copeland

CB:
Bryce Callahan
Ronald Darby
Darqueze Dennard
Bashaud Breeland

S:
Tre Boston
Darian Stewart
Adrian Phillips

Add Zach Brown to this list at ILB and he becomes the #1 available there in my opinion. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SaginawReunion83 said:

Add Zach Brown to this list at ILB and he becomes the #1 available there in my opinion. 

I feel the same way I havent seen any rumors about him and I find it very strange. I wonder if he has priced himself too high.

Just now, St Vince said:

't believe in 8 years we still haven't found a replacement for Finley's production.

Now Packer fans don't even have perspective on their own team.

Other than touchdowns, Graham's first season in Green Bay was better than or equal to 5 of Finley's 6 seasons.

As far as yards, Graham's first season in Green Bay was better than or equal to 3 of Finley's 6 seasons, and less than 50 yards behind two other seasons.

Graham's TD total was better than or equal to three of Finley's six seasons. 

Graham's first season in Green Bay was a whopping 6 receptions, 131 yards and 6 touchdowns less than Finley's best season. 

Now just imagine how petulant you'd sound right now if Rodgers had thrown to Graham more often when Graham was clearly open. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Now Packer fans don't even have perspective on their own team.

Other than touchdowns, Graham's first season in Green Bay was better than or equal to 5 of Finley's 6 seasons.

As far as yards, Graham's first season in Green Bay was better than or equal to 3 of Finley's 6 seasons, and less than 50 yards behind two other seasons.

Graham's TD total was better than or equal to three of Finley's six seasons. 

Graham's first season in Green Bay was a whopping 6 receptions, 131 yards and 6 touchdowns less than Finley's best season. 

Now just imagine how petulant you'd sound right now if Rodgers had thrown to Graham more often when Graham was clearly open. 

Now go research to see if those great stats were during garbage time or when the game still on the line. The games I saw Jimmy was M.I.A when we needed  him. Stats can be deceiving. If you seriously think Jimmy earned what he was paid last season you're being disingenuous.

4 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Now go research to see if those great stats were during garbage time or when the game still on the line. The games I saw Jimmy was M.I.A when we needed  him. Stats can be deceiving. If you seriously think Jimmy earned what he was paid last season you're being disingenuous.

i was hoping to see Outpost explain his thoughts on Jimmy Graham and his contract.