2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

2018 Packer Cap Hits:

2) Randall Cobb $12,500,000

3) Clay Matthews $11,400,000

5) Nick Perry $10,750,000

The services of the Pack's second, third, and fifth biggest cap hits from last season have all been available for the rest of the league to bid on for a few days now, who gets snapped up first?

53 minutes ago, n8ghee said:

yea but what fun is it not reading into everything in a negative light?

I just never understood the move.  I thought Cobb's cap hit was bigger but I guess I was wrong on that.  As. I will admit to extreme negativity even it comes to Cobb though.  I really, I mean REALLY don't like him as a player.

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

I dont think it had anything to do with him disliking the player as a person. Think it was more Jordys age versus Cobbs age and the cap savings were greater releasing Nelson as opposed to Cobb. 

Outside of that? Sounds like he really wanted Aaron to elevate Adams game and Nelsons presence due to Rodgers and his connection hindered that.

Just my opinion but the move made sense when everything is considered.

That makes sense.  And I thought Cobb was the bigger cap hit but I guess I was wrong there.  I also basically despise Cobb as a player, so I'm admittedly biased in that respect.

16 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

2018 Packer Cap Hits:

The services of the Pack's second, third, and fifth biggest cap hits from last season have all been available for the rest of the league to bid on for a few days now, who gets snapped up first?

It just shows you what a crap roster we had .. still kind of have.  Why they are paying Graham 12.7 mil is mystifying.  Renegotiate that mess.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It just shows you what a crap roster we had .. still kind of have.  Why they are paying Graham 12.7 mil is mystifying.  Renegotiate that mess.

It's easier to get your players to negotiate and sign deals if you show that you're going to see a contract through. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

I dont think it had anything to do with him disliking the player as a person. Think it was more Jordys age versus Cobbs age and the cap savings were greater releasing Nelson as opposed to Cobb. 

Outside of that? Sounds like he really wanted Aaron to elevate Adams game and Nelsons presence due to Rodgers and his connection hindered that.

Just my opinion but the move made sense when everything is considered.

Agreed.

An observation about Gute.........
I'm liking him because he's less reactionary and more proactive than I believe TT had become.

I saw this as an instance of a GM making changes on the field in a way the HC couldnt. Gute determined JN was retarding DA's growth - that AR was gonna just keep priming that pump - so he removed him. That plus - he considered JN's tank on empty.

So - he moved on from Nelson - drafted three young studs - and now has moved on from Cobb. 

When he drafts another EDGE guy this year - he will have repeated the process at that position. Maybe (unlikely) he brings CM back on some short stint contract - but I bet he wont.

I like the way he handles / constructs a roster.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

2018 Packer Cap Hits:

That is a dumpster fire of talent.

QB: 
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Blake Bortles
Trevor Siemian

RB:
TJ Yeldon
Anthony Sherman

WR:
Michael Crabtree

TE:
Jared Cook
Maxx Williams

DL:
Tim Jernigan 
Allen Bailey
Mo Wilkerson

ILB:
Clay Matthews
Mark Barron
Jake Ryan

EDGE:
Justin Houston
Ezekiel Ansah
Shaq Barrett 
Brandon Copeland

CB:
Bryce Callahan
Ronald Darby
Darqueze Dennard
Bashaud Breeland

S:
Tre Boston
Darian Stewart
Adrian Phillips

30 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

QB: 
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Blake Bortles
Trevor Siemian

RB:
TJ Yeldon
Anthony Sherman

WR:
Michael Crabtree

Randall Cobb

TE:
Jared Cook
Maxx Williams

DL:
Tim Jernigan 
Allen Bailey
Mo Wilkerson

ILB:
Clay Matthews
Mark Barron
Jake Ryan

EDGE:
Justin Houston
Ezekiel Ansah
Shaq Barrett 
Brandon Copeland

Nick Perry

CB:
Bryce Callahan
Ronald Darby
Darqueze Dennard
Bashaud Breeland

S:
Tre Boston
Darian Stewart
Adrian Phillips

I added Cobb and Perry, to go along with Jake Ryan and Clay Matthews. 

So, I have to say overall I am happy with what Gute did, however I was hoping for some difference making impact, i.e. Earl Thomas. Honestly, I  don't know much about Amos other than watching him when we played the Bears and he didn't stand out. This observation is directly in line with comments about him after he was offered, "doesn't make the big play, but doesn't give up the big play".  Unfortunately, what is seriously lacking in the Packer defense is playmaker's and it remains unclear if any of these FA additions will offer play making field tilting  impact. So the debate continues, swing for the fences or sign 4 hole plugger's, hopefully one of these hole plugger's becomes a field tilter.

I do think that Gute had a reasonable 1st draft, JA is a playmaker and is only going to get better. I want to see one more year of Jackson at CB before converting to FS which I think is his most natural position in the NFL. Had high hopes for Burks, but this year he needs to show something. J'mon and Madison looking like early whiffs, punter, jury's still out, and MVS/ESB at a minimum serviceable 4/5, maybe more, lots more.  

IMO King can be a huge difference maker if he can play 16 or 19! Still think we need to bring Breeland back, but maybe the thinking is Tramon for one more year. Hopefully, the draft brings some difference making talent to the defense with #12. Still leery of Oliver and Gary, big boom bust potential.

5 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I don't understand what Gute's problem is with Jordy.  He's 10x the receiver than Cobb has ever been, and by all accounts he's a great guy and teammate, yet he decided to keep Cobb who turned out to once again be just short of useless?  Did Jordy accidentally run over his dog or something?

just a matter of who was easier to cut at the given cap numbers

• Like 1