Upcoming Extensions, Options, and Free Agents

WindyCity

21 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You spend over 30 million before we even talk about the draft and emergency money.

The Bears will have to make significant moves to get to 35 million in cap space.

You also have eaten up 27 million of cap space in 2020, when the Bears have serious free agents to re-sign and young guys to extend.

We would enter 2020, with 17 million in cap space, very few players we could cut, and Whitehair, Floyd as free agents and Jackson and Cohen as extension candidates.

It's not as bad as you're making it out to be. I'm not gonna do all the number crunching tonight but I'll do them another time (tommorow is Sunday so I doubt it--Monday for sure). 

We would have 32 players under contract going into 2020, not counting the draft. In 2019, we're only going to have 36 players under contract going into the draft and I just showed you that it can work.

The Bears are about to play in their biggest game since 2013 so I’m not going to get into an argument about Aaron Lynch. All I’ll say is that he doesn’t make any impactful plays and I’m not giving a back-up $15 million. In his last 23 games he has 5.5 sacks. They can find a suitable replacement with one of their first two picks this year and not waste that money. If anyone here has watched Lynch this year and at some point thought “now that is a guy that Pace HAS to keep around,” I’d rather not talk football with that person again. (watch him have 2 sacks tonight :))

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

The Bears are about to play in their biggest game since 2013 so I’m not going to get into an argument about Aaron Lynch. All I’ll say is that he doesn’t make any impactful plays and I’m not giving a back-up $15 million. In his last 23 games he has 5.5 sacks. They can find a suitable replacement with one of their first two picks this year and not waste that money. If anyone here has watched Lynch this year and at some point thought “now that is a guy that Pace HAS to keep around,” I’d rather not talk football with that person again. (watch him have 2 sacks tonight :))

It was either Tom Thayer or Brian Baldinger that did a film video of Lynch and said he was playing pretty good doing the dirty work. But I agree not for $15 mil. 

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

People can disagree and I will still talk football with them. 🙂

IMO Lynch is simply journeyman depth.  He plays hard, but he is slow of foot and tends to get injured.  

He can stay for right price or he can go.  

29 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

People can disagree and I will still talk football with them. 🙂

IMO Lynch is simply journeyman depth.  He plays hard, but he is slow of foot and tends to get injured.  

He can stay for right price or he can go.  

Exactly, and I don’t think $15m is the right price. Maybe 1 or 2 years at $2-3m per.

36 players under contract

5 draft picks [6th and 7th round picks do not make enough to count towards the 51] really 3

12 players need to be signed to the top 51 for the offseason

2019 Cap Space: 16 Million

Cuts: Sims [6], Acho [2.5], Sowell [1.5]

Restructure: Long [5] most you can do based on what he counts no matter what.

Updated Cap Space: 31 million

Draft Cap Hit: 3 million

Cap Space: 28 million

Players to retain: (would be a total 51 players under contract--remember only the top 51 for that particular year goes against the actual cap)
Aaron Lynch - Solid depth player on the edge. Bring him back on a cheap 3 yr deal similar to Kareem Martin's with the incentives.
**Adrian Amos**
Ben Braunecker - RFA, good upside at a cheap price
Bobby Massie 
Bryce Callahan
DeAndre Houston-Carson - RFA, May as well as keep him.
Isaiah Irving - ERFA, May as well as keep him.
Pat O'Donnell - Not a big fan but if he's willing to sign another 1 yr deal I'm fine with it. 
Patrick Scales - Another RFA that will be cheap. Haven't seen any mistakes and we all know how ugly it can get without a good LS.
Rashaad Coward - ERFA
Roy Robertson-Harris - ERFA
=================================
Aaron Lynch: 3/15M 7M guarantee---Cap hit: 2019 ($3,350,000), 2020 ($5,100,000)

Adrian Amos: 4yr/34M 19M guarantee (similar to  Tony Jefferson)---Cap hits: 2019 ($5,790,000), 2020 ($5,750,000)

Ben Braunecker: 1/720k---Cap hit: 2019 ($720,000) 1.9 Original Round

Bobbie Massie: 5/32M 12.5M guarantee (similar to Jermey Parnell)---Cap hits: 2019 (5,000,000), 2020 ($7,500,000)

Bryce Callahan: 4/34M 18M guarantee (similar to what Aaron Colvin got in the open market)--- Cap hits: 2019 ($7,750,000), 2020 ($8,750,000)

DeAndre Houston-Carson: 1/720k--Cap hit: 2019 ($720,000) 1.9 Original Round

Isaiah Irving: 1/645k--Cap Hit: 2019 ($645,000)

Pat O'Donnell: 1/1.5M 0.5k guarantee---Cap hit: 2019 ($1,500,000)

Patrick Scales: 1/720k--Cap kit: 2019 ($720,000)

Rashaad Coward: 1/645k--Cap kit: 2019 ($645,000)

Roy Robertson-Harris: 2/3M 0.5k guarantee (similar to Ethan Westbrook)--Cap kit: 2019 ($1,250,000), 2020: ($2,225,000 2.9 million, he is guaranteed 1 year 2.9 so no way he takes 3 million for 2 years.

You have a roster that is short 1 guy from the 51.

You have spent 32.1 million on re-signing players. Which puts you 4 million over budget before we even get to in season cap room needs. So now you need to restructure Allen Robinson and Akiem Hicks just to have functional cash.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2018 at 1:05 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

This year(2018) the cap was $177.20 and in the last 5 years the salary cap has increased 7% (or $10.8M) on average. Using this as a baseline, the expected salary cap for 2019 would be $188.70. 

Year Maximum team salary % Increase Total Increase (in M)
2019 $188.70 6.1% 11.5
2018 $177.20 5.8% 10.2
2017 $167.00 7.0% 11.7
2016 $155.27 7.7% 12.0
2015 $143.28 7.2% 10.3
2014 $133 7.5% 10.0
2013 $123 2.0% 2.4
2012 $120.60 0.5% 0.6
2011 $120 -- --
Total Average $142.42 5.4% 8.2
Avg last 5 years $155.15 7.0% 10.8

As of right now, in 2019, the Bears total cap cost stands at $173,653,136. Using the future projected salary cap ($188,700,000), this puts us at $15,046,864 in available cap space next year.

$15,046,864 - $2,000,000 for rookie pool + Dion Sims $6,333,334 ($333,334 dead cap) + Sam Acho $2,375,000 ($250,000 dead cap) = $21,755,198 in total cap space.

Since it was announced today that the league salary will see a 6% increase which is expected to be up anywhere from 188-191M (It looks like my earlier projected salary cap for next year was spot on at 189M) I'm going to back and take another look at this again now that I know whereabouts the salary is going to fall for sure.

Not too mention a few things have changed in the last month when I did this. The last time I didn't include Callahan's injury (which may change things given his history), I had also forgot to add the roll-over money and I'm also doing 2019 as well--I'm not going to go any further than that tho. The league changes too often, so looking at 2020 this early is futile. Besides, I personally won't give a damn what happens in 2020 after we win the SB next year.

18 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Since it was announced today that the league salary will see a 6% increase which is expected to be up anywhere from 188-191M (It looks like my earlier projected salary cap for next year was spot on at 189M) I'm going to back and take another look at this again now that I know whereabouts the salary is going to fall for sure.

Not too mention a few things have changed in the last month when I did this. The last time I didn't include Callahan's injury (which may change things given his history), I had also forgot to add the roll-over money and I'm also doing 2019 as well--I'm not going to go any further than that tho. The league changes too often, so looking at 2020 this early is futile. Besides, I personally won't give a damn what happens in 2020 after we win the SB this year.

Fify 

Lynch does everything you want from a mid round guy on his rookie contract. We were stuck between a rock and a hard place so we signed him. I couldn't do it again. I don't see Lynch improving at his age. He's had a good season once how many years ago.  With Mack signing late and getting injured and Floyd in the cast he filled in to an extent but not enough. If he's waiting around like last offseason I'd consider a min contract but that's it. 

2 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

Lynch does everything you want from a mid round guy on his rookie contract. We were stuck between a rock and a hard place so we signed him. I couldn't do it again. I don't see Lynch improving at his age. He's had a good season once how many years ago.  With Mack signing late and getting injured and Floyd in the cast he filled in to an extent but not enough. If he's waiting around like last offseason I'd consider a min contract but that's it. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens,  what they do with Lynch may provide some insight to how high they are on Fitts and Irving. 

9 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens,  what they do with Lynch may provide some insight to how high they are on Fitts and Irving. 

Floyd will be interesting.  Fangio seems to trust Lynch though I am underwhelmed.  Both of those guys seem to get hurt too much which sucks.  They both have other flaws too; Floyd is too light in the butt to be an effective every down pass rusher requiring creative scheming for his position and for Mack and/or Hicks to be on field to compensate.  Lynch lacks speed and fast twitch.  Floyd is a great athlete so some of his "flaw" is also an asset, he is longer and moves faster than most players at his position.  He just doesn't fill the traditional role for an OLB/edge rusher.

I think Fitts has an outside chance to develop into something good and even an NFL starter due to his prototypical size and athletic ability.  He had some impressive moments in pre season, but seems to have failed to impress the defensive coaches sufficiently to warrant more than a few reg season game reps.   I haven't seen much from Irving that would tell me he is needed though they seem to like him ahead of Fitts at the moment.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Floyd will be interesting.  Fangio seems to trust Lynch though I am underwhelmed.  Both of those guys seem to get hurt too much which sucks.  They both have other flaws too; Floyd is too light in the butt to be an effective every down pass rusher requiring creative scheming for his position and for Mack and/or Hicks to be on field to compensate.  Lynch lacks speed and fast twitch.  Floyd is a great athlete so some of his "flaw" is also an asset, he is longer and moves faster than most players at his position.  He just doesn't fill the traditional role for an OLB/edge rusher.

I think Fitts has an outside chance to develop into something good and even an NFL starter due to his prototypical size and athletic ability.  He had some impressive moments in pre season, but seems to have failed to impress the defensive coaches sufficiently to warrant more than a few reg season game reps.   I haven't seen much from Irving that would tell me he is needed though they seem to like him ahead of Fitts at the moment.

All good points. Part of me feels like Floyd will get re-signed in spite of not being true every down passrusher. He is just damn athletic and can cover a lot of ground,  so aside from his stunts he should be able to stretch runs and force them inside or convert while a DB or LB blitzes.  

And if Fangio really wants to rush only 3 or 4 on 85% of the plays (just making a figure up, idk what it really is) then I'm fine with having a more versatile OLB opposite of Mack. As long as Mack is pinning his ears back I'm pretty content. 

36 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

All good points. Part of me feels like Floyd will get re-signed in spite of not being true every down passrusher. He is just damn athletic and can cover a lot of ground,  so aside from his stunts he should be able to stretch runs and force them inside or convert while a DB or LB blitzes.  

And if Fangio really wants to rush only 3 or 4 on 85% of the plays (just making a figure up, idk what it really is) then I'm fine with having a more versatile OLB opposite of Mack. As long as Mack is pinning his ears back I'm pretty content. 

I was actually thinking about this during Sunday's game. Floyd should have his option picked up. Yes, he's not the double digit sack artist that we imagined, but he does do every other thing well. He's really good setting the edge and making plays in the run game, he can cover backs in the flat, and has the speed and agility to drop into coverage. With the rest of our defense, he really is a good compliment to Mack on the other side that gives fangio another chess piece to play with. 

Archived