Joe Thomas; Sam Darnold IS a BUST

Chargers

Here is the dirty little secret to Darnold falling to the jets that no one wants to talk about: When the Jets traded with the colts, they thought they were trading for Baker Mayfield. 

I watched Darnold very closely last year because I thought the Niners would be drafting #1 or #2 overall and needed a QB. The kid has some terrible habits when it comes to protecting the football. He needs to sit on the bench for a year and fix some of those issues

2 hours ago, Master of Suspense said:

Darnold has almost nothing to work with offensively in New York and has a defensive head coach. Mayfield has had an offensive coach for most of the year and has real players around him. 

Yeah it isn't fair that Mayfield had Hue Jackson around. Hopefully the Jets fire Bowles and hire Hue Jackson to coach so we can see what Darnold could do with him as his coach.

3 hours ago, Master of Suspense said:

Darnold has almost nothing to work with offensively in New York and has a defensive head coach. Mayfield has had an offensive coach for most of the year and has real players around him. 

Mayfield probably would have been better off with no coach than with Hue Jackson.

I think it's way too early to definitively call Darnold a bust or anything, especially given how young he is.  He certainly doesn't have a sparkling surrounding cast on the field or on the sidelines either.  But the problematic stuff he's doing right now that Joe Thomas suggested "might have people calling him a bust if not for that big opening game", is pretty much exactly the same stuff that could be seen as red flags in college.  It's stuff like the ball security issues, the mediocre-ish arm with a big ugly windup release that telegraphs to defenders, and the tendency to force plays and try to do way too much when it's just not there.

His bad habits that led to a lot of turnovers in college weren't going to magically disappear over the (draft season shortened) offseason...while simultaneously stepping up to a much higher level of game speed and competition.  That was never a realistic expectation.  The question is really...will he ever progress through those issues, or not?  That's what will determine whether he's a bust or not.  Unfortunately, a lot of those issues seem to be rooted in things that are extremely difficult to correct reliably via "coaching" and "experience".

On 11/20/2018 at 6:26 AM, Tugboat said:

I think it's way too early to definitively call Darnold a bust or anything, especially given how young he is.  He certainly doesn't have a sparkling surrounding cast on the field or on the sidelines either.  But the problematic stuff he's doing right now that Joe Thomas suggested "might have people calling him a bust if not for that big opening game", is pretty much exactly the same stuff that could be seen as red flags in college.  It's stuff like the ball security issues, the mediocre-ish arm with a big ugly windup release that telegraphs to defenders, and the tendency to force plays and try to do way too much when it's just not there.

His bad habits that led to a lot of turnovers in college weren't going to magically disappear over the (draft season shortened) offseason...while simultaneously stepping up to a much higher level of game speed and competition.  That was never a realistic expectation.  The question is really...will he ever progress through those issues, or not?  That's what will determine whether he's a bust or not.  Unfortunately, a lot of those issues seem to be rooted in things that are extremely difficult to correct reliably via "coaching" and "experience".

Jets going to hire McCarthy and ruin him

I don't think you can call anyone a bust this early into their NFL career.  Darnold is also one of the youngest players in the NFL. 

I'll tell you one thing though, they better get a good offensive mind in there to replace Bowles and add better weapons around the kid or else he will bust, because for as talented as he is, he's not a generational type of talent that can overcome these things. He needs help.

I would make an extremely hard push for Leveon if I were managing the Jets.  Also if one of the top pass rushers like Ansah or Lawrence hit the market I would also go hard after them.

Nothing like  having a good run game and a solid defense to help out a young QB.

On 11/16/2018 at 9:50 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

When you put in the title "Joe thomas; Sam Darnold is a bust" that's insinuating that Joe Thomas called him a bust. It's mis-leading and is indeed putting words in his mouth. Whether you meant to or not.

I actually think it's grammatically saying that Joe Thomas AND Sam Darnold are busts.

But semi-colons are tricksy.

21 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think you can call anyone a bust this early into their NFL career.  Darnold is also one of the youngest players in the NFL. 

I'll tell you one thing though, they better get a good offensive mind in there to replace Bowles and add better weapons around the kid or else he will bust, because for as talented as he is, he's not a generational type of talent that can overcome these things. He needs help.

I would make an extremely hard push for Leveon if I were managing the Jets.  Also if one of the top pass rushers like Ansah or Lawrence hit the market I would also go hard after them.

Nothing like  having a good run game and a solid defense to help out a young QB.

I'm stating far away from Bell. I thibk after he gets his money he's going to stop caring, especially for a rebuilding team like the Jets. Draft a RB in 2nd or 3rd and call it a day

Archived