Joe Thomas; Sam Darnold IS a BUST

Chargers

If in fact Darnold does become a bust, it's ironic, before the draft I stated that the latest USC product would be exactly that, because in reality, every USC product that has come to the NFL has been exactly that, too little TDs, too many turnovers.  People called me everything but the kitchen sink and told me there was no way... yeah, about that.

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

If in fact Darnold does become a bust, it's ironic, before the draft I stated that the latest USC product would be exactly that, because in reality, every USC product that has come to the NFL has been exactly that, too little TDs, too many turnovers.  People called me everything but the kitchen sink and told me there was no way... yeah, about that.

Hmm, have you forgotten about Carson Palmer? Sanchez and Leinart, sure. I didn't think Sanchez was worth a first round pick at the time, let alone a top ten pick. Those QBs were also playing for a different coaching staff than Darnold.

7 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Hmm, have you forgotten about Carson Palmer? Sanchez and Leinart, sure. I didn't think Sanchez was worth a first round pick at the time, let alone a top ten pick. Those QBs were also playing for a different coaching staff than Darnold.

TBH, sorta did forget about Palmer, you're right, he's an exception.  I agree as far as the coaches, but Darnold always struck me as a very similar type of prospect.

3 hours ago, Elky said:

Never saw the big deal about Darnold; mentally weak, never accomplished anything meaningful and always due for a turnover. I was glad NYJ picked him.

looks like the type of guy you'd want your daughter to date. or something like that.

So are we judging players by their records and turnovers now or something after 10 games?

I want to hear from a loser who was 48-117 as an NFL player about who is or is not going to be a great player and a winner after 10 lousy games on a low talent team?

I know a guy who had 28 picks and 3 fumbles as a rookie.

• He retired with the passing yards and passing TD records and won a pair of Super Bowls.
  • I think he does Nationwide commercials now.

17 hours ago, H.E Pennypacker said:

Browns chose the correct QB - I thought so at the time but thought maybe they could've traded out of #1 and had Mayfield at #4.. But with Denzel Ward looking good it seems they made all the right calls. 

Darnold just throws way too many picks - in college and now the pros. Don't see much in Allen. Rosen might be good but has a punchable face.

Good call Browns.

There was a LOT of talk about Baker being gone at #3 because the Jets were enamored with him.  There was also the talks about the Patriots selling the farm to move up and get him and I know there was also rumors that Denver would have made offers to the Giants for him.

Bakers predraft process was weird. It was like everyone was throwing smoke out there about how he couldn't make it and he wasn't 'their' QB, but underneath the surface---there were many teams that really really really wanted him but they just didn't want to come out and say it because they didn't want to blow their cover hoping he would fall to them.

I would be willing to bet good money that if the Browns didn't take him at #1, somebody would have made a offer to the Giants at #2 to move up and get him before the Jets. The Dolphins, Jets, Cardinals, Broncos, Jaguars, Patriots, etc could have all made a offer to jump to #2. Even the Giants could have selected him.

4 hours ago, SkippyX said:

So are we judging players by their records and turnovers now or something after 10 games?

I want to hear from a loser who was 48-117 as an NFL player about who is or is not going to be a great player and a winner after 10 lousy games on a low talent team?

I know a guy who had 28 picks and 3 fumbles as a rookie.

• He retired with the passing yards and passing TD records and won a pair of Super Bowls.
  • I think he does Nationwide commercials now.

Damn you got triggered bad by calling Joe Thomas a loser lmao. Calm down, Darnold has looked bad so you don't gotta be mad when others say it because its true

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

There was a LOT of talk about Baker being gone at #3 because the Jets were enamored with him.  There was also the talks about the Patriots selling the farm to move up and get him and I know there was also rumors that Denver would have made offers to the Giants for him.

Bakers predraft process was weird. It was like everyone was throwing smoke out there about how he couldn't make it and he wasn't 'their' QB, but underneath the surface---there were many teams that really really really wanted him but they just didn't want to come out and say it because they didn't want to blow their cover hoping he would fall to them.

I would be willing to bet good money that if the Browns didn't take him at #1, somebody would have made a offer to the Giants at #2 to move up and get him before the Jets. The Dolphins, Jets, Cardinals, Broncos, Jaguars, Patriots, etc could have all made a offer to jump to #2. Even the Giants could have selected him.

There was also rumors Giants were going to take him at #2 if he was still there

Everybody's got a hot take and they are all open to criticism. when that take is moronic.

• Joe is not calm in this situation.
    • Is he a borderline Hall of Fame lineman? of course he is.
    • Is he an idiot as an analyst? Of course he is.
  • Darnold has had 3 very good games
  • He has had 3 very bad games.
  • He has had 3 games where he was mediocre to bad but not yet in a position to elevate a really bad team with a really bad coach.
    • Oh yeah, they played a game without Darnold
      • Decent backup McCown who had a 94.5 rating as a Jets QB in 2017 had a horrific game against a terrible Buffalo team at home.
      • Anyone with a brain would see that its not just the QB when multiple QBs have a game with a rating in the 30s.

Maybe clowns like Joe Thomas think Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield are not set up with better talent on their teams right now?

• The Jets got guys like Fitzgerald and David Johnson, don't they?

None of this means Darnold will be a good pro or a bad pro.

• It does mean that Joe Thomas gets an F for his analysis.
    • He was good after the Browns first win. He should stick to talking about the Browns, because he is less clueless in that case.
    • Comparing Sam Darnold to one of the all time worst QB's to ever play just makes Joe sound like an idiot.

10 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah it would have been a huge risk to hope he was still there at 4, I guess they would have only done it if they loved 3 QBs which they probably didn't.

I remember all of a sudden Allen was almost a sure thing to go to Cleveland.. That would've been such a Browns thing to do. If they wanted Allen they could've certainly traded down to get him, being assured he would be there at #4.. With Mayfield I agree they would've probably lost him before their pick, which also would've been a Browns thing to do. xD Along with the Ward pick (which I doubted) I'm seeing improved decision making

6 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Everybody's got a hot take and they are all open to criticism. when that take is moronic.

• Joe is not calm in this situation.
    • Is he a borderline Hall of Fame lineman? of course he is.
    • Is he an idiot as an analyst? Of course he is.
  • Darnold has had 3 very good games
  • He has had 3 very bad games.
  • He has had 3 games where he was mediocre to bad but not yet in a position to elevate a really bad team with a really bad coach.
    • Oh yeah, they played a game without Darnold
      • Decent backup McCown who had a 94.5 rating as a Jets QB in 2017 had a horrific game against a terrible Buffalo team at home.
      • Anyone with a brain would see that its not just the QB when multiple QBs have a game with a rating in the 30s.

Maybe clowns like Joe Thomas think Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield are not set up with better talent on their teams right now?

• The Jets got guys like Fitzgerald and David Johnson, don't they?

None of this means Darnold will be a good pro or a bad pro.

• It does mean that Joe Thomas gets an F for his analysis.
    • He was good after the Browns first win. He should stick to talking about the Browns, because he is less clueless in that case.
    • Comparing Sam Darnold to one of the all time worst QB's to ever play just makes Joe sound like an idiot.

Agree 100%.  Look at the rosters. The Jets offense side is useless while Browns spent a boat load on that side of the ball. They also have (drafted) Chubbs and a running game to take the pressure off BM. Switch teams and BM would look like the one who's the bust.  JT   The QB know it all!! I would like to see how many other Browns QBs he endorsed over the years, I can hear him know " We got the guy now" !!!!! saying this over and over through the years.

Archived