Joe Thomas; Sam Darnold IS a BUST

Chargers

13 hours ago, SkippyX said:

So are we judging players by their records and turnovers now or something after 10 games?

I want to hear from a loser who was 48-117 as an NFL player about who is or is not going to be a great player and a winner after 10 lousy games on a low talent team?

I know a guy who had 28 picks and 3 fumbles as a rookie.

• He retired with the passing yards and passing TD records and won a pair of Super Bowls.
  • I think he does Nationwide commercials now.

I agree with you it is way too early to call him a bust but come on. We can't bring up Peyton every time a rookie QB has a ton of turnovers. 

7 hours ago, H.E Pennypacker said:

Yeah it would have been a huge risk to hope he was still there at 4, I guess they would have only done it if they loved 3 QBs which they probably didn't.

I remember all of a sudden Allen was almost a sure thing to go to Cleveland.. That would've been such a Browns thing to do. If they wanted Allen they could've certainly traded down to get him, being assured he would be there at #4.. With Mayfield I agree they would've probably lost him before their pick, which also would've been a Browns thing to do. xD Along with the Ward pick (which I doubted) I'm seeing improved decision making

If they wanted Allen they should have just kept Osweiler

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I agree with you it is way too early to call him a bust but come on. We can't bring up Peyton every time a rookie QB has a ton of turnovers. 

• His brother had 9 picks and 3 fumbles going 1-6 as a rookie. How did the Giants do with him in 2007 and 2011?
  • Goff had 7 picks and 5 fumbles going 0-7. Is he Nate Peterman too?
  • Alex Smith had 11 picks and 11 fumbles in 7 games as a rookie. Is he also Nate Peterman.

I think 3 non-Peyton examples should be enough, but I can provide more.

Anyone with a clue knows its hard to play in the NFL as a rookie.

• Marino, Roethlisberger, and Prescott are a few of the very, very, rare exceptions.
  • Even Baker Mayfield has 7 picks and 5 fumbles in 8 games so far.
  • This basic entry level knowledge is beyond the limited intellect of Joe Thomas the hot take talking head though.
  • Maybe he should get his own show to compete with Chris Carter and that Nick turd or Sharpe and Skip.

4 hours ago, nugpimpen said:

So looking at the quote itself, it appears this title is extremely misleading and i'm surprised it hasn't been edited yet. "People would be talking about him as a bust" is not "He IS a BUST"

For shame

No, it's not directly calling him a bust, but its definitely implying it. I'm not sure why literally everyone in here is acting like this isn't the case, especially when Thomas gave much more praise to the QB that the Browns picked who hasnt played particularly well either 

36 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

No, it's not directly calling him a bust, but its definitely implying it. I'm not sure why literally everyone in here is acting like this isn't the case, especially when Thomas gave much more praise to the QB that the Browns picked who hasnt played particularly well either 

You mean the rookie projected to throw 26 tds, 14 ints, close to 4000 yards and 60% passing?

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:
1 hour ago, footbull3196 said:

You mean the rookie projected to throw 26 tds, 14 ints, close to 4000 yards and 60% passing?

Add to that his numbers haven't done his play justice either. He has shown great accuracy, probably elite arm, only made a few poor decisions and is bursting from the seams in intangibles.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Well that was my point.  Joe Thomas wasn't wrong in his assessment because he said he was glad that the Browns picked Mayfield instead of Darnold due to the reasons you just stated.  I think it's hard to argue against that as of right now so not sure why people are so upset that someone thinks that Thomas implied that Darnold could be a bust.  I understand being a little irritated with the OP for not wording the title as well as he could have, but that should be as far as it goes tbh

I don’t think thomas was calling him a bust but more so the NY media and national media would be doing it. Joe Thomas rarely has ever said negative things about players. I think he worded his statement in a way that he wasn’t calling him a bust but others would view him as one if it wasn’t for that first game. 

Goff is the perfect reason to never call a guy a bust after year 1.  

On 11/18/2018 at 1:08 AM, SkippyX said:

Everybody's got a hot take and they are all open to criticism. when that take is moronic.

• Joe is not calm in this situation.
    • Is he a borderline Hall of Fame lineman? of course he is.
    • Is he an idiot as an analyst? Of course he is.
  • Darnold has had 3 very good games
  • He has had 3 very bad games.
  • He has had 3 games where he was mediocre to bad but not yet in a position to elevate a really bad team with a really bad coach.
    • Oh yeah, they played a game without Darnold
      • Decent backup McCown who had a 94.5 rating as a Jets QB in 2017 had a horrific game against a terrible Buffalo team at home.
      • Anyone with a brain would see that its not just the QB when multiple QBs have a game with a rating in the 30s.

Maybe clowns like Joe Thomas think Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield are not set up with better talent on their teams right now?

• The Jets got guys like Fitzgerald and David Johnson, don't they?

None of this means Darnold will be a good pro or a bad pro.

• It does mean that Joe Thomas gets an F for his analysis.
    • He was good after the Browns first win. He should stick to talking about the Browns, because he is less clueless in that case.
    • Comparing Sam Darnold to one of the all time worst QB's to ever play just makes Joe sound like an idiot.

Lol at calling Joe Thomas a 'borderline' hall of famer. You're way too triggered, kid.

Archived