mdonnelly21

58 members have voted

1. 1. Best Team?

• Pittsburgh Steelers
    • Houston Texans
    • Chicago Bears
    • Los Angeles Chargers

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I'll concede to this and I did edit to where I agree that this view/question doesn't move the needle in terms of this discussion. Texans are last in this particular ranking.

The Fisher take is an interesting one, but Fisher was a bit more accomplished, so a bit of rope is given to the man due to his work in TN. O'Brien? He had his two years in the toughest situation in sports (where he's having to answer questions on sexual assault against minors as frequently as he's talking football) and a video of him yelling at Brady. Cool talking points, but not exactly pelts on the wall, you know?

I don't really think it's about resume in that situation. It's about your players liking and respecting you. Generally, if your players like and respect you, you're going to be a successful head coach. Obviously, though, that doesn't always end up being the case (JDR, Fisher, Wade, etc.).

Just now, jrry32 said:

I don't really think it's about resume in that situation. It's about your players liking and respecting you. Generally, if your players like and respect you, you're going to be a successful head coach. Obviously, though, that doesn't always end up being the case (JDR, Fisher, Wade, etc.).

Very fair take, and logical to boot. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

According to Pittsburgh radio today on my way to work the Steelers are better than the two teams that played last night because the Steelers can beat you in many ways and those teams have to outscore you. The Steelers can score 50 on you like they did against the Panthers or they can shut you down like they did to the Jaguars in the 2nd half last week.

I would put the Steelers on the top of this list but I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these teams beat the others. A lot has been made of the Texans weak schedule but the Steelers have only faced 2 winning teams themselves. Both are 1-1 in those games.

Yet the Steelers lost at home to the Chiefs.

Bears
Steelers
Chargers
Texans

The Bears are 4th in point differential(+99---next closest Steelers +74) with the best defense in the league (it's not even close at this point)--which is crazy during an insane year of offensive explosion never seen before-- and have an offense, while still only average, is good enough to keep them in games by not turning the ball over. 

Each unit ranked individually.

Offense:

1. Chargers
  2. Steelers
  3. Bears
  4. Texans

Defense:

1. Bears
    <Yes, the gap is for emphasis>
  2. Texans
  3. Chargers
  4. Steelers

Special Teams:

1. Texans
    <Yes, the gap is for emphasis>
  2. Steelers
  3. Bears
  4. Chargers

===================================

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'd buy into it more if they hadn't already played in their own shootout against the Chiefs. Most defenses aren't going to look good against those teams. The Steelers didn't either.

That was Week 2. When guys on Defense literally didn't know their assignments. I am in no way saying we're going to go and win in a rematch if we're lucky enough for one, but let's remember the Bucs beat the Saints in Week 1. Weeks 1-3 are so far removed and no team is exactly the same... Best argument for that? The Texans, who I actually think is the best team of these four.

1.) Texans 

They have an easy schedule, have beaten some quality teams and the reality is the AFC South will be one of the most contested divisions down the stretch. They have a very good Defense and the offensive talent to put up 30 when needed. On a day where their Offense shows up - which is the most likely outlier for any team to happen - they can compete with most teams.

2.) Steelers

They easily have  the best offense of all of these teams and, quite frankly, I don't think it's close. Best QB, Best Line, Best WR1, Best WR2, best HB. Their defense is far from elite but has at least demonstrated the ability to stop good offenses in Atlanta, Cinci, and Carolina. On a day where their defense shows up they're arguably the best.

3.) Chargers

I honestly don't know how good they are. The only quality team, IMO, that they've beaten were the Titans and that was by a point at home. They basically feel like Steelers-lite to be honest. Second best QB, second best line, third best WR1, third best WR2, second best HB. Likewise, their defense is far from elite but on their day when the defense shows up they can compete with many teams.

4.) Bears

I am not sold on them in the least to be honest, even after Sunday Night. I just don't believe in Trubisky or the offense enough. I think their Defense is elite. Best in the league. But not carry you through the post-season when we have 3 of the greatest offenses in NFL history all playing at the same time. I don't think their offense is as good as total points suggest but is bouyed by two huge performances. Also don't think the razzle dazzle that Nagy employs can work in the post-season.

Steelers

Bears/Chargers (i keep going back and forth)

Texans

I actually think the Bears and Chargers are really similar when fully healthy. So i give the edge to whichever team is healthier on that given day. I’d like to be able to see what the Chargers look like at full strength but that’s like asking Skip Bayless to have reasonable takes.

28 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

That was Week 2. When guys on Defense literally didn't know their assignments. I am in no way saying we're going to go and win in a rematch if we're lucky enough for one, but let's remember the Bucs beat the Saints in Week 1. Weeks 1-3 are so far removed and no team is exactly the same... Best argument for that? The Texans, who I actually think is the best team of these four.

Sure, but it isn't like the Steeler defense would stop the Chiefs now either. The defense will look pretty good again this week against the Broncos. Good enough against the Raiders and Chargers. They will likely struggle against the Saints and Patriots. The Steelers are an offense heavy team. If they have a game where they have to count on their defense it better be against a weak offense. Fortunately for them most teams are pretty lopsided so in the playoffs they will have a shootout against the Chiefs, a 27-24 type game against the Pats, maybe a 23-20 type game against the Texans but whoever they play they have a chance because no one who can match their offense can do much on defense either. Who knows who gets that last playoff spot in the AFC but it probably won't be a strong defense either. Maybe the Browns can make up 2 games on the 5-5 teams by playing like they played last week and make things interesting... Yeah probably not but honestly there isn't a lot going on among the wildcard hopefuls besides the Colts winning 4 in a row but I don't think they will scare anyone.

Archived