Packers fire Head Coach Mike McCarthy; Joe Philbin named interim HC

IDOG_det

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It goes both ways.  We've seen Rodgers pass on the short, easy completions in favor of high risk, high reward throws.  But we've also seen McCarthy call plays on 3rd and short where the nearest route is 10+ yards down the field.

Are you sure Aaron didn't just change the plays at the line? Apparently that was one of the problems.

2 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Was just pointing out that its the same usual suspects on the forum that have to toot their own horns when something, anything, negative happens to Green Bay lol.

Oh. Haven't seen a lot of that, but it's a long thread. Thanks for clarifying.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

LMAO @ check down

That's literally the opposite of what he is doing and it's infuriating. If he would check down even half as often as his counterparts GB is probably leading the division right now.

Rodgers is infuriating like half the fan base or more because he ignores checkdown options with impunity.

he probably has like 30+ overthrows on sideline deep routes though.

I get your frustration with Rodgers, but...a lot of the jumble falls on the offense, overall. 

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

The difference here is that there's a HOF quarterback involved. Makes things weird. 

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

My guess is Rooney Rule

Such an insulting rule. Jim Caldwell doesn't deserve to have that stuff said about him interviewing for a job, however it is a valid question. They can't get rid of it soon enough 

6 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Such an insulting rule. Jim Caldwell doesn't deserve to have that stuff said about him interviewing for a job, however it is a valid question. They can't get rid of it soon enough 

I’m not a big Caldwell fan. As someone who didn’t watch the Lions, I don’t see what he brings to a team. I feel like a Manning carried him in Indy. 

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

I don't think it is an insulting rule. 

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

LOL! I get moving on from McCarthy, but are you really going to just hire another past failure instead of exploring someone who has the potential to be good?

I doubt it. I expect they're interviewing people like Caldwell and Pagano to use them as reference points for future interviews. Both have solid track records as coaches, so I imagine they're receiving some consideration. However, I also expect that unless nobody else impresses them, they'll go a different direction.

7 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

LOL! I get moving on from McCarthy, but are you really going to just hire another past failure instead of exploring someone who has the potential to be good?

No.  They're very limited on who they can actually interview.  Anyone whose currently employed isn't eligible to be interviewed until their season is over, so guys like Josh McDaniels and Matt LaFleur aren't going to get their interviews until after their teams are eliminated or during a playoff bye week.  And it's been speculated that teams who are in bowl prep aren't going to get interviews until after the end of their seasons.  That limits to coaches who aren't currently coaching, hence the reason we've heard about Caldwell and Chuck Pagano getting interviews.  Just doing their due diligence.

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I expect they're interviewing people like Caldwell and Pagano to use them as reference points for future interviews. Both have solid track records as coaches, so I imagine they're receiving some consideration. However, I also expect that unless nobody else impresses them, they'll go a different direction.

I agree Caldwell is solid, and he does really well with other people's teams. He doesn't recruit well, but he coaches well. I think he'd be a good head coach, especially with talent like Rogers. The only issue is getting in some new blood to fill the remaining holes.

Pagano? This dude rode the shirttails of Bruce Arians and Jim Caldwell. He's been mediocre without them. I'd go as far as to say he's been bad. The talent they had, and the record they produced was not good. I know someone will throw out the injury to Andrew Luck, but still, he couldn't get his team going once Arians left.

13 hours ago, JBURGE said:

The rule itself isnt insulting, but being the token "Rooney rule" candidate is, only bc it's a token.  It has absolutely brought about a much needed change in the hiring process, not just to minority candidates either.  Before it was commonplace to have deals done with retreads and the hot guy who was fired last year before going thru an interview process. Now bc of the Rooney rule, that really cant happen.  Teams have to conduct interviews with minorities and non minorities alike.  It's made it so that guys like Sean McVey and Matt Nagy get interviews they otherwise wouldnt have. It's why Raheem Morris got his first shot in Tampa.  Disrupting the good ol boys network the NFL had become, was desperately needed.

I think Caldwell is certainly a LOT better than a LOT of people give him credit for, and I think he'd be a fine head coaching candidate for the Packers, and the only reason I'd be upset about it would be because it always looks like he has something crusty all over his upper lip like he just drank milk and didn't wipe his face after and that the milk crusted over and it literally grosses me out, so I'd demand that he shave that ridiculous mustache off and never grow it back. 

10 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Pagano? This dude rode the shirttails of Bruce Arians and Jim Caldwell. He's been mediocre without them. I'd go as far as to say he's been bad. The talent they had, and the record they produced was not good. I know someone will throw out the injury to Andrew Luck, but still, he couldn't get his team going once Arians left

... talent?

Oh, you mean Andrew Luck and TY Hilton? Because that's the extent of the talent in Indy during the Pagano era. 

Not saying Pagano is some great coach, but let's be realistic here, the Colts had no talent in that timeframe. 

Archived