16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

I for one think that McDaniels has the Gruden/Chucky smile/smirk down pat.

I can get excited about his experience.  I can get excited about his football brain.

And I worry a lot about his personality.  But...they don't pay me to worry about such things, so I'll just watch the process happen.  

To me, McDaniels is a boom/bust guy.  I'm not sure you get in the middle with him.  And...I'm actually good with that.  Win it big, or burn it down and start over in 3-4 years.

And frankly, I don't know enough about these other candidates (or probably even McD) to really claim to know anything.

6 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Did McD get some assurances from Gute ( they know each other) that the GB job would be opening in 2019 ?
Did McD go back to NE for one more year until the GB job opened ? And did Gute/Murphy consider this McD as a viable option when pulling the plug on the McCarthy era ?

I don’t they are connected at all. I think the uncertainty with Luck’s injuries and Colts ownership scared McDaniels back to NE.

I think he discussed with Bill and he gave McDaniels his honest answer. And that if you have any hope for success in this league you need the right ownership and a QB.

Im sure McDaniels knows his next chance is his last chance... at least until he is older older. He needs to get it right.

Its the same thing Wolf came out and said he would tell his son not to take the GB GM job because of the structure.

I think McDaniels had Bill in his ear and he got scared.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I for one think that McDaniels has the Gruden/Chucky smile/smirk down pat.

I can get excited about his experience.  I can get excited about his football brain.

And I worry a lot about his personality.  But...they don't pay me to worry about such things, so I'll just watch the process happen.  

To me, McDaniels is a boom/bust guy.  I'm not sure you get in the middle with him.  And...I'm actually good with that.  Win it big, or burn it down and start over in 3-4 years.

And frankly, I don't know enough about these other candidates (or probably even McD) to really claim to know anything.

Who the hell let this chump in with his rational thinking?

Just now, cannondale said:

It doesn't even make you wonder for a second ?

No not even for a split second. And for the same reason I didn’t want the Bucks to hire Don Nelson when we fired Jason Kidd.  You can’t go home again.  We need the NFL version of Budenholzer.  

Just now, thrILL! said:

No not even for a split second. And for the same reason I didn’t want the Bucks to hire Don Nelson when we fired Jason Kidd.  You can’t go home again.  We need the NFL version of Budenholzer.  

Fair enough. Just wondering if a Budenholzer exists

I'm intrigued by the fact the Packers want to interview Mike Munchak. Always liked him as a player and he's tough as nails. I am not sure how he would relate to the current NFL player. 

I think it could either go extremely well or blow up in year one. 

Think I'm still in the Josh Daniels camp.

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I don’t they are connected at all. I think the uncertainty with Luck’s injuries and Colts ownership scared McDaniels back to NE.

I think he discussed with Bill and he gave McDaniels his honest answer. And that if you have any hope for success in this league you need the right ownership and a QB.

Im sure McDaniels knows his next chance is his last chance... at least until he is older older. He needs to get it right.

Its the same thing Wolf came out and said he would tell his son not to take the GB GM job because of the structure.

I think McDaniels had Bill in his ear and he got scared.

Agreed.  To add to that, I’m sure Josh is still somewhat reeling from his experience in Denver and wants to be absolutely sure about his next HC foray.  Belichick is his mentor and friend, and I’m sure when Josh started second-guessing his decision to leave for the Colts gig, he confided in Bill, and I suspect Bill’s response to Josh was both self-serving and in Josh’s best interest.  Doubt it had anything to do with what Gute may or may not have said to him.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

No we're not.  It's the same wishful thinking mentality that had people defending Capers. 

6 games 30 points or more.
6 games 23 points or more allowed.
4 games holding teams under NFL average. 

Compare that to Capers with the same pass rush, worse corners:

6 games 30 points or more.
4 games 23 points or more.
6 games holding teams under an NFL average. 

I know people won't want to accept this, but Capers last year without any corner help to speak of was better than Pettine this year. 

We downgraded at DC.  Don't talk to me about the eye test.  Pettine is not a good DC, and he needs to move on just like everybody else. 

Yeah we can agree to disagree on this -- with no edge rush to speak of he generated pressure, despite the past 6-7 weeks of every week hearing of a new Defensive player we are putting on IR to the point we're trotting out UDFA in both our secondary and our main front DL as well as no safety help to even think of since Week 8 and even that is arguably since Week 1 because really what help was Haha? The guy did well all things considered.

9 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Agreed.  To add to that, I’m sure Josh is still somewhat reeling from his experience in Denver and wants to be absolutely sure about his next HC foray.  Belichick is his mentor and friend, and I’m sure when Josh started second-guessing his decision to leave for the Colts gig, he confided in Bill, and I suspect Bill’s response to Josh was both self-serving and in Josh’s best interest.  Doubt it had anything to do with what Gute may or may not have said to him.

I also find it telling McDaniels is only rumor to have an interview with GB. Unless if I missed something.

I think it will take the right situation for him to move on from NE.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I wonder what I'm wondering about, so I'm reading up on what everybody else is wondering, which is only making me wonder more - so - I wonder why I'm bothering to wonder

:)

Right!  As fans, about all we can do is read and wonder.  It’s not like we’re in the inner circle, or know these coaching candidates personally to have anything more than a semi-educated guess.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Right!  As fans, about all we can do is read and wonder.  It’s not like we’re in the inner circle, or know these coaching candidates personally to have anything more than a semi-educated guess.

You're not in the inner circle? Odd.....all this time I'd been thinking you were.
Maybe next year? :)

Archived