16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Now we're starting to get a feel for what Gute and Murphy are looking for. They're clearly of mind to look for an offence orientated coach. Guys like Toub, Richard, Fangio are not getting a look in at this time.

The search seems to be split into two camps:

Prowess as an offensive coach - McDaniels, LaFleur, and possibly Gase and Steichen.

and coaches that has leadership and motivation skills with a strong focus on culture -  Fitzgerald, Caldwell, Flores, Campbell, Pagano (LOL)

I'm not sure where Munchak fits in.  I won't be surprised to see if we will eventually look into Zac Taylor, Bieniemy and Sirianni. I'm surprised to hear very little about the college coaches.

Philbin has ties with Campbell and Pagano. Gute with McDaniels. Thompson with Munchak, Murphy with Fitzgerald. Sounds like Murphy and Gute are leaning on people they trust within the organisation. Also worthy of note is the request to interview Flores - a defensive coach. He's not a token Rooney Rule interview as they already fufilled this with Caldwell. They clearly heard good things about him as well as a number of other NFL teams who have requested an interview.

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Ya that Cleveland owner has been a real treat for coaches to work for

I agree ... their ownership is kind of a joke.  Having the hotshot young QB, young talent, and Dorsey helps ease the stink of ownership.  I'd put the Packers over Browns though.

Just now, Slinky said:

CLE is easily more of an appealing job than GB. Already have QB of the future, and if you win there, you'll be a hero. Where as, in GB you are expected to win every year. 

Yes, but the ownership setup in GB and their history of patience vs. other NFL owners balances things out.  

I would say the jobs are neck and neck, but with different challenges.

Archived