Kareem Hunt clears waivers, is officially a Free Agent

TheKillerNacho

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

I don't think the negative PR for a week will make a dent in their profit margins.

Ray Rice, Greg Hardy. Those were all more than a week. And you advertisers pulling from you will have the whole NFL putting pressure on you 

10 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Ray Rice, Greg Hardy. Those were all more than a week. And you advertisers pulling from you will have the whole NFL putting pressure on you 

This isn't in the same stratosphere of those two in terms of severity. The difference it makes to their wallet would be negligible. How much money did Dallas lose due to Greg Hardy who did far worse? Every owner who passed on Hunt is dumb.

3 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

This isn't in the same stratosphere of those two in terms of severity. The difference it makes to their wallet would be negligible. How much money did Dallas lose due to Greg Hardy who did far worse? Every owner who passed on Hunt is dumb.

You say they are all dumb, but all 32 did. The severity doesn’t matter. The outrage does. And yeah, enough people call advertisers and they will pull out. Happens all the time nowadays 

17 minutes ago, lancerman said:

You say they are all dumb, but all 32 did. The severity doesn’t matter. The outrage does. And yeah, enough people call advertisers and they will pull out. Happens all the time nowadays 

If you don't cave, they go away. People should realize this by now. The outrage only matters if you give in to it.

Interesting.  I thought he would be claimed by some team, but I'm not all that surprised by this outcome.  The backlash after the video's release was really severe and no team wants to touch that right now with the playoffs right around the corner.  Also, from what I've been seeing, Hunt has been involved in other physical altercations, so he has probably entered a no fly zone.

12 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Now that TMZ leaked this second story, it won't shock me when the NFL announces a 1-year suspension for the good ole "conduct detrimental" catch-all. It won't be until after he signs with a team this spring.

10 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

So, what happens to the NFL for the cover-up?

9 hours ago, cddolphin said:

It's actually worse than a cover up, when they didn't even bother to collect evidence to bury in the first place.

9 hours ago, Forge said:

So you are saying it was a lazy cover up?

Let’s be really clear - the NFL and KC let the ball drop in a huge way here. 

We now know: 

1.  NFL & KC supposedly had an open investigation since Feb. 

2.  We can now confirm from the CLE PD that neither the NFL nor KC made a formal request to see the video.   None.  They say they had a verbal conversation  now...lol. 

3.  As inflammatory as the video appears the facts and all parties agree this isn’t DV.   So it doesn’t carry near the same risks inherent with DV.  

4.  KC and the NFL basically are going hyper-extreme because of both their past history - KC in saying they vetted Tyreek Hill with all due diligence and the NFL saying they would take every step to leave no stone unturned.  When we now know they didn’t go far at all.  

Add it up - because the CBA allows it, the NFL are going to go hard on K-Hunt to deflect attention from the above points.   After the stance the NFL took with Zeke and Ray Rice - they will make an example of K-Hunt to cover up that they basically turned their back on due diligence when they said “never again” after doing it with Ray Rice.   And no doubt the league made that clear to all the GM’s.  

When we look at how lax the NFL and KC were - they’ve painted themselves where a cut was the only way for KC to save face on their part.   Now the NFL is likely going 8+ games or more on K-Hunt using 2 very iffy episodes (January one only thing you know is he was there; other former player is the guy fingered).  

I say all the above not owning K-Hunt in fantasy and happy he’s off the KC team as a DEN fan.   But it’s ironic that the cover up of the NFL’s complete lack of diligence here is going to translate into a much harsher penalty than if they had reviewed the video and issued a penalty this past spring (and IMO he’d likely be still a Chief).  

On 12/4/2018 at 7:58 PM, Broncofan said:

Let’s be really clear - the NFL and KC let the ball drop in a huge way here. 

We now know: 

1.  NFL & KC supposedly had an open investigation since Feb. 

2.  We can now confirm from the CLE PD that neither the NFL nor KC made a formal request to see the video.   None.  They say they had a verbal conversation  now...lol. 

3.  As inflammatory as the video appears the facts and all parties agree this isn’t DV.   So it doesn’t carry near the same risks inherent with DV.  

4.  KC and the NFL basically are going hyper-extreme because of both their past history - KC in saying they vetted Tyreek Hill with all due diligence and the NFL saying they would take every step to leave no stone unturned.  When we now know they didn’t go far at all.  

Add it up - because the CBA allows it, the NFL are going to go hard on K-Hunt to deflect attention from the above points.   After the stance the NFL took with Zeke and Ray Rice - they will make an example of K-Hunt to cover up that they basically turned their back on due diligence when they said “never again” after doing it with Ray Rice.   And no doubt the league made that clear to all the GM’s.  

When we look at how lax the NFL and KC were - they’ve painted themselves where a cut was the only way for KC to save face on their part.   Now the NFL is likely going 8+ games or more on K-Hunt using 2 very iffy episodes (January one only thing you know is he was there; other former player is the guy fingered).  

I say all the above not owning K-Hunt in fantasy and happy he’s off the KC team as a DEN fan.   But it’s ironic that the cover up of the NFL’s complete lack of diligence here is going to translate into a much harsher penalty than if they had reviewed the video and issued a penalty this past spring (and IMO he’d likely be still a Chief).  

I know the NFL made their own bed on this to some degree, but I’m not really sure I like the idea of them having some extrajudicial role when police charges aren’t even filed. I don’t think we should be looking to the NFL to run investigations like this. (1) this isn’t really their lane and (2) it can be a bit messy if you think about it, I wouldn’t like the idea of my employer having PIs investigating employees who aren’t charged with anything. I realize we are where we are, but I don’t think “why isn’t the NFL doing more?” Is really the right reflex here. 

6 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I know the NFL made their own bed on this to some degree, but I’m not really sure I like the idea of them having some extrajudicial role when police charges aren’t even filed. I don’t think we should be looking to the NFL to run investigations like this. (1) this isn’t really their lane and (2) it can be a bit messy if you think about it, I wouldn’t like the idea of my employer having PIs investigating employees who aren’t charged with anything. I realize we are where we are, but I don’t think “why isn’t the NFL doing more?” Is really the right reflex here. 

I don’t have a problem with that take - but it’s not the position the league took when their rulings were challenged in court and publicly.   If they said they’d follow judicial standards as a guide no problem. But they set a higher standard when they justified the Zeke punishment.  The NFL certainly made their own bed here.  

This just exposes how 2-faced and disingenuous they were at the time.   So I have zero sympathy for them.  And certainly if they are arguing the judicial standard then the actions they are taking now don’t align either.  It’s because of the PR whipping they are taking that they are going to this extreme.  It deflects the focus on how the NFL basically just paid lip service to a standard they strenuously defended it was their right and duty to uphold.  

11 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

The NFL operates in the court of public opinion, that's the guidance they follow way more than the court of law.
Which is why they don't wait for the police to file charges

NFL revenue is tied to advertisers -  and advertisers want squeaky clean athletes and role models to pimp their products.
Whether the police even file charges isn't relevant to the owners.
That's why the NFL has its own kangaroo court to mete out punishment to those few players that impact their bottom line. Ratings and revenue are all that matters. That's also why they half-*** the investigations - they don't really wanna know - but they need to show the appearance of trying. The problem for the league is that we now live in a TMZ world and they can't just sweep it under the carpet like they have for decades - too much surveillance everywhere

IF the Court of Public Opinion / Advertisers were OK with hardened criminals, the owners would empty the prisons in search of talent.
Advertisers and their immense budgets are the league's moral compass and rule of law.

Hunt is a good, but not great talent.  In a league where very productive RB's come out of nowhere every year, I'm not sure why a team would go out of it's way to claim Hunt.  He's currently the focal point of a PR disaster, and it seems clear that the league plans to hit him with a significant suspension.  Hunt will be back in the league soon enough, but I 100% understand why he wasn't claimed.

NFL is going to blast him on a suspension because they are reactionary and inconsistent as far as discipline but I have no sympathy really for Hunt because it's not that hard if people around you are acting crazy to just go sit in your hotel room and watch HBO for the rest of the night.

Archived