SNF - Rams @ Bears

RamRod

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Well, at least I can't blame this one on the refs.

Nah.  This was a repeat of the game against the Vikings from last year where Goff/McVay/the OL all collectively pulled off the threeway diarrhea on the bed maneuver.

17 minutes ago, I <3 Faulk said:

Goff definitely takes a lot of blame too. At the end of the day though, I would say it was more the Bears doing their thing than the Rams making mistakes.  Gonna rewatch it tomorrow, but the Bears were on point all night. 

Blame goes all across the offense and that includes the coaches.  I brought up the Minnesota game from last year in my last post because McVay made a lot of the same questionable calls/decisions in terms of his approach and insistence on leaning heavily on play-action before/without ever actually establishing the threat of Gurley.  Goff is not (yet, we'll see if he develops this trait; he's flashes but nothing close to consistency regard to this) someone who does particularly well pressing when his OL is having a poor game (mobility/awareness within the pocket is not something I'd consider a strength of his at this stage) which they were today.  The OL were collectively bad and I'm not sure I saw a single one of them for more than maybe a few scattered plays where I'd say that they really had their heads in the game.  They got shook and couldn't find it in themselves to rise to meet the challenge - and by the end of the game the whole of the offense looked like they were just going through the motions and had psyched themselves entirely out (that's on coaching and leadership within the unit).  Not taking anything away from an absolutely superb defensive performance by the Bears, because that absolutely was a catalyst to said offensive players psyching themselves out to the point where they looked like they just didn't believe.  It will be a real test to see how/if the offense responds next week.  And if I were a member of the defense for the Rams, I'd be putting it on the offense extra hard in practice all this next week because iron sharpens iron and this is the sort of situation where if you continue to coddle them, they'll have less incentive to not stay soft.

12 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So last week the MVP was Aaron Donald, the week before that it was Todd Gurley and the week before that it was Jared Goff.

Since the Rams lost tonight, does that mean the MVP is now Amari Cooper or Mitchell Trubiski? Someone fill me in.

Mack....

15 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So last week the MVP was Aaron Donald, the week before that it was Todd Gurley and the week before that it was Jared Goff.

Since the Rams lost tonight, does that mean the MVP is now Amari Cooper or Mitchell Trubiski? Someone fill me in.

Andrew Luck.

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think it was just destiny.  It had to happen.  If ever there was a guy who looked like a Chicago Bear, it's Mack.

You're right in general but Peppers was born for the Bears system at the time. That was a match made in heaven.

9 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Goff is not (yet, we'll see if he develops this trait; he's flashes but nothing close to consistency regard to this) someone who does particularly well pressing when his OL is having a poor game (mobility/awareness within the pocket is not something I'd consider a strength of his at this stage) which they were today.  The OL were collectively bad

I tried to say this in the Goff thread. He's benefited greatly from clean pockets. It seems like he never gets touched sometimes. 

@jrry32 posted a link to some stats that I didn't look at and stated he is comparable to Aaron Rodgers and Brees when pressured. 

The frequency he gets pressured has been very low over the last two years. I am skeptical about what jrry said 

I posted in the GDT in the Rams forum wondering what would happen when the bears didn't fall for the play action to screen/dump off to gurley because I knew Fangio would have a plan for it. He had someone shadowing gurley on most plays. The Rams didn't really seem like they had any counter to this. Goff was pressured and then was inaccurate and slow with his reads and didn't have the easy dump off to gurley to move the chains. 

I think teams are starting to figure out some of mcvays tendancies this season as well. 

Cooper cupp was a big loss. Robert woods is a solid player and all, but cooks is really their only dangerous threat on the outside 

11 minutes ago, N4L said:

I tried to say this in the Goff thread. He's benefited greatly from clean pockets. It seems like he never gets touched sometimes. 

@jrry32 posted a link to some stats that I didn't look at and stated he is comparable to Aaron Rodgers and Brees when pressured. 

The frequency he gets pressured has been very low over the last two years. I am skeptical about what jrry said 

I posted in the GDT in the Rams forum wondering what would happen when the bears didn't fall for the play action to screen/dump off to gurley because I knew Fangio would have a plan for it. He had someone shadowing gurley on most plays. The Rams didn't really seem like they had any counter to this. Goff was pressured and then was inaccurate and slow with his reads and didn't have the easy dump off to gurley to move the chains. 

I think teams are starting to figure out some of mcvays tendancies this season as well. 

Cooper cupp was a big loss. Robert woods is a solid player and all, but cooks is really their only dangerous threat on the outside 

Well, it's also a case of the type of pressure he faces.  Goff's accuracy and ability to produce when he's bootlegged out of the pocket and on the run has been pretty darn good.  Pressure in his face is a different story.  Now, that hasn't been as (pun intended) "pressing" of an issue because we've had very few games where all three interior OL had a poor game at the same time (typically it's been one of the three in the event it happens) and so he's able to correct by cheating his position in the pocket toward the interior OL that's having the stronger game and giving himself space to step up and into throws.  That definitely wasn't the case tonight as none of the interior OL could (or even seemed interested in) gaining ground all night.  it's Kromer's blocking scheme (which you remember from when he was with you guys), even against great edge rushers you can usually get away with (i.e. still be productive, if not outstanding) your OT's not having their best night if you're getting good play from your interior OL and in particular your guards - we really didn't tonight.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

True, but with a defense that actually looks like it's doing what it was assembled to do.  Granted, the offense is now tripping over it's own Richard at every opportunity, but it was the defense leaking like a sieve that lost us that game in the Dome.

You felt that defense looked good tonight?

I know you only allowed 13 points, but it didn’t look good. Howard and Cohen averaged 6 yards per carry. Trubisky was sailing passes over open receivers all night with a clean pocket. I don’t think you can really credit his poor accuracy to the defense forcing errors. It felt much more like Trubisky just played a bad game coming off injury than anything the Rams did on defense.

13 minutes ago, pwny said:

You felt that defense looked good tonight?

I know you only allowed 13 points, but it didn’t look good. Howard and Cohen averaged 6 yards per carry. Trubisky was sailing passes over open receivers all night with a clean pocket. I don’t think you can really credit his poor accuracy to the defense forcing errors. It felt much more like Trubisky just played a bad game coming off injury than anything the Rams did on defense.

Considering the amount of time they were on the field for the fact that offense was turning the ball over with regularity and putting them in some bad positions?  Yes.  It wasn't an outstanding defensive performance, but for a game where we didn't generate the level of pass-rush we normally do (some of that being Trubisky slipping tackles that should have been better early on, some of that being Donald getting held - but we're used to that by now and more often than not he's able to produce in spite of it), they still generated multiple turnovers - leaving the offense in very good field position in the case of two of them, and got off the field pretty effectively.  Teams are going to average good YPC stats against us between the 20's as long as our ILB's are the mediocre-at-best ILB's that we currently have.  If a runner can get to the second level against us, the fact that we don't have an effective run-stopper in our LB corps means they're going to be good for an extra 1-2 YPC.    But when the field gets shorter and the actual run-stoppers we do have in the secondary are able to get closer up on the play to start with, our defense didn't give up the points where it counted.  If our DB's had tackled as well in the run game as they did tonight back when we played the Saints that's close to being a different game (I say close because without Talib we were still going to be abused by Thomas being the absolute worst type of receiver matchup for Peters to have drawn or shadowed).

Also, I'm basing off of this week AND last week.  Basically, the period since we got Talib back.  The defense has performed more in line with how it was assembled to, particularly compared to the time without Talib where it lacked the guy to shrink the window for the opposition's #1 option enough to move the QB on to his second or third reads which is where Peters, Joyner, Johnson, and NRC have had a ton of success capitalizing on opportunity.

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Well it seems the Cowboys and Bears are the two teams to beat in the coming weeks. So the Saints and Rams better keep winning. Cause they could theoretically lose their bye seeds. 

Saints and Rams are home for 2/3 remaining games. Cowboys and Bears are away for 2/3 remaining games.

Things can change very fast and it may not even be a conversation in a week's time.

Archived