Vikings fire OC John DeFilippo

sdrawkcab321

19 minutes ago, Pugger said:

No thanks.  

There is a reason why Washington wasn't ready to give Cousins the contract the Vikes did.  He's a good QB but not elite IMO.

So the team that traded for Alex Smith and gave him 71 million guaranteed is the measuring stick for success? xD

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

I think the later part is apt and shouldn't be ignored.  Flip wasn't the Jesus offensive guru people thought he was, but i don't think that means he's garbage either.  Flatly, Cousins wasn't a good fit for Flip's chosen scheme (notice, when he's had more mobile QB's, he's done considerably better), particularly when the OL started dropping like flies and underperforming in general.  Obviously, there's a ding on Flip for not making an adjustment to that, but I do kind of have to ding Zimmer too because it seems like he went for the sexy name rather than the good fit.  Gives at least a little reason to pause about Zim's coaching rolodex - but one would hope he'd look more to guys he had the chance to work with in Cincinnati rather than those from Dallas as the Air Coryell or similar varietals really don't seem to complement the offensive talent on the Vikings.

Dare I say it?  Hue might actually not be a bad option if they don't take a shine to what the get/see from this promoted QB coach.

I can agree with this. I certainly would not give up on Flip. It didn't pan out in Minnesota, but I think he'd do quite well in the right situation. The other big issue was that it seemed like Zimmer was always second guessing the guy and demanding changes. He basically demanded they run more this week, so Flip tried to comply, and it wasn't effective. Then again, the offense as a whole wasn't effective against Seattle. But watching that game, I can't say that I felt the play-caller was terrible. He made some bad decisions imo (like using Latavius Murray on the 4th down play), but the execution was quite bad.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I always give people who face the music a like.  It's a tough thing to do.  I know because I have to do it a lot. 

It's not fun, but I can't say it's a tough thing to do. It comes with the territory of taking a stance. Sometimes, you're right. Sometimes, you're wrong. We all have egos, but I respect people who have the self-awareness to recognize when they're wrong. If I expect that out of others, I have to be willing to do it myself. :)

47 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Never understood the hype with DeFilippo. Always felt like a guy who was a product of better coaches around him. No shock seeing him come down to earth outside Philly.

Sometimes a QB makes the coach. That seems to be the case here.

I actually felt the most impressive thing he did was with the Browns. He managed to put together a workable passing attack with Josh McCown/Johnny Manziel, Gary Barnidge, and Travis Benjamin.

46 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

So the team that traded for Alex Smith and gave him 71 million guaranteed is the measuring stick for success? xD

Alex Smith shouldn't have gotten that contract either.  All these overpays just highlights how desperate teams are for a QB.  The really good ones don't grow on trees.

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I'm almost happy it bit the Vikings in the butt. Watch Stefanski engineer three straight good performances out of the offense, the Vikings still miss the playoffs, and then the team brass has to spend the whole year wondering "what if" they hired the in-house guy who deserved the job in the first place.

I had a feeling one of the main 3 offensive guys (Pederson, Flip, Reich) was more responsible for that Eagles offense last year than the other 2. At first I thought it was Flip, but now I feel comfortable saying it was Reich, given each of their performances this year.

Why? We groomed him as a coach and kept him on when the offense was near the bottom of the league. He was under contract to Minnesota. There was no reason to allow him to go just because the Vikings had a decent season. If you want him after this season you'll have your chance.

37 minutes ago, raidersedge said:

This is the worst part having a defensive minded head coach. They can never settle on an OC and if you have a good one you will lose him. Zimmer is already on his 4th OC in his 5th year as HC, not ideal.

Well one of them was hired to be a head coach in the NFL.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If there's one thing that I've seen over the years, when someone says it's 100% someone's fault it usually isn't.  I only watched the first half of the Vikings/Seahawks game, but I'm not sure how you can put that loss completely at DeFilippo's fault.  How many times did the Seahawks' DL contact the RB in the backfield?  Way too many to count.  How many WTF moments did we see out of Kirk Cousins?  There's enough blame to go around.

Seriously, I’m so tired of people complaining about our play calling.  Every team’s fans have problems with their play calling as soon as it doesn’t work out the way they want it to.  We’ve been limping by offensively because our talent hasn’t executed well enough too

1 hour ago, Nzd07 said:

You haven't really brought up any specific examples to support your argument, though. You're just making a generalized statement without much proof to back it up.

Fair enough. 

2018 Vikings

2017 Falcons

2017 Redskins

The first three that pop into my head. All of these offenses lost their OC from the previous season and took a step backwards.

47 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Why? We groomed him as a coach and kept him on when the offense was near the bottom of the league. He was under contract to Minnesota. There was no reason to allow him to go just because the Vikings had a decent season. If you want him after this season you'll have your chance.

looking out for your assistants' best interests is being a good manager. rising assistants around the league will see a guy like sean mcvay give matt lafleur the OK to leave and take the titans' job even though it was only a move from co-OC to full OC/playcaller, and they'll respect that. you want to work for someone who will help advance your career.

Good luck to the next OC. I don't think there is a single coach in football who could get Cousins to play atleast average on a consistent basis. 

The next OC will be on the hot seat as soon as he takes the job. That's just the nature of the beast after paying Cousins that much money.

I was on the DeFilippo hype train for the Bears HC job in the offseason (at least until the rumors of him bombing the interview appeared), and yikes, super glad to have Nagy running the helm now (and imo on a VERY short list for Coach of the Year)....

That being said, if DeFilippo is really destined to remain a QB coach forever (much in the way I think Vic Fangio is best kept as a DC forever), I'd love to bring him to chicago for that purpose and see if he can't help beat some consistency into Trubisky. We've seen flashes where Trubs looks like he can be good-great, and we've seen him lay some pretty horrific eggs out there as well.  We can be legitimate SB contenders with even average-slightly above average QB play... but we're getting bipolar Cutler or Grossman esque consistency right now.

28 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

looking out for your assistants' best interests is being a good manager. rising assistants around the league will see a guy like sean mcvay give matt lafleur the OK to leave and take the titans' job even though it was only a move from co-OC to full OC/playcaller, and they'll respect that. you want to work for someone who will help advance your career.

He's been with us since 2006. I'm sure part of him wanted to stay in Minnesota because he didn't come out and complain about Zimmer's decision.

Archived