Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

There are some players we could sign if we wanted to push Hall out, but overall there ain’t much out there..... I say resign Dion Jordan (have him rush with a bunch of twists and stunts.... his length is something our other DTs lack) and keep Hall!

Available DTs:

Marcell Darius- only 30yo despite being in the league forever it seems...3rd overall pick in ‘11.  Was one of the top handful of DT’s during his rookie contract... then got paid massively and fell apart.  He’s been a decent starter but not highly productive last few years and missed a lot of time to injuries.  He’s the type of guy you bring in if you want Hall pushes out.  But I’d honestly rather have Hall.

Damon Harrison-  31 years old.  Was a top 3 (if not the best) run defending DT until last season.  Got hurt and hated being in Detroit and admittedly dogged it.  The narrative is he’s not healthy but I’ve read and believe he just didn’t want to play in Detroit.  The nostalgic (Gruden’s the same way) me would be very excited to get him and form a newer version old 2 big run stuffing DT’s like with Grady Jackson, Darrell Russell, Ted Washington, John Parella, Sam Adams, Tommy Kelly, Richard Seymour, John Henderson, etc etc..... but it’s a passing league now.  Plus, we have Hankins and need the 4th DT (Hankins, Hurst, Collins, 4th DT) to be a good run stuffer yet versatile enough to play various alignments and rotate interchangeably.  Harrison would be a fine replacement heavens forbid Hankins gets hurt but isn’t a better fit the Hall, despite actually being a better run defender.... still.

John Jenkins- 30yo NT.  Big NT at 6’3 347. Was good his first 3 years but by ‘16 injuries limited his play.  3 years of minimal playing time for 4 teams.... then a resurgence last year for Miami and played 16 games and 479 snaps.  Given what little is out there on the market I’d consider him but he’s a run defender only and lesser version of Hankins.  When your only a NT you have to be good enough to start.... the depth DTs usually are able to play various alignments and rotate in for both DTs.  Jenkins is a 0/1 Tech only.  

Mike Daniels, Timmy Jernigan: once very productive but have had injuries in recent years.  Daniels was one of the top 10 DT/34DE’s in the league as late as ‘18 but got cut before camp started in ‘19 (a lowly result Of the mixture of high cap cost and GB believing he’s started to decline) then signed with Det for 1yr, $9.1M and got IR’d after 9 games (but only 2 starts and 204 snaps... but 52 of them came in 1 game he started.... it’d be more accurate to say he basically played only 20-40% of the snaps in those 9 games).  I’d guess he still thinks he should get a few million per year, and that’s why he’s gonna sit at home and wait til a team has a injury at DT.  I absolutely wouldn’t pay him much above the minimum with nothing guaranteed I wouldn’t mind losing to dead cap if he gets cut.  Jernigan on the other hand is still only 27 and only 1-2 years ago was a young promising and productive 3Tech... who was good enough to get a mid season 4yr/$48M rookie contract extension in ‘17.  But he hurt his back at the end of the ‘17 season and injured until week 12 in ‘18... and played only 3 games.... the injuries and his large cap cost resulted in his release to start FA in ‘19 but he was Resigned by Philly two months later to for 1yr, $2M....played in 10 games with 9 starts (274 snaps) but only had 10 tackles and 2 sacks.  He’s still young enough to rebound... but I’m not loving the idea to sign him because he hasn’t proven he can stay healthy for several years (back injuries are horrible) and when he was good he was far more pass rusher than run defender... which we already have in Hurst and Collins... I don’t see him as having a role on this team.  Hall’s value is his ability to play the run and he has shown glimpses and has the athleticism to develop into a decent pass rusher too.

Adam Gotsis- Young (27yo) and decent production, but more of a 3-4DE at 6’4 287.  2nd round pick by Denver and he played out his rookie deal.  He’s still available because he hurt his knee week 13 last year and probably just isn’t healthy yet.  Once healthy he’ll be a good depth pickup for whoever signs him but he doesn’t for our scheme.

Stacey McGee- we originally drafted him in the 6th round and had some decent years for us but left for a big deal with Washington once his rookie deal ended in ‘17.  He played good in ‘18 but fizzled out in ‘19 and was cut by Washington early in FA and then signed with Carolina, where he only played 4 games and 93 snaps all year.  He’s proficient and a balanced rusher and run defender.  He’s nothing great but since he’d come cheap he’s a good choice IMO to bring in for competition.  But the prospects of him contributing in ‘20 wouldn’t excite me.

Carl Davis- still only 28, 6’5 320ish Run stuffer who when drafted in 2015 (3rd RD) was a very highly regarded NT prospect who had athleticism and wasn’t just a big fat gap filler.  After 3 years in Baltimore where he had a lot of competition and injuries (missed all of 2016) he fizzled out and was waived at the roster deadline in ‘18.  He did show promise and started 9 games in ‘17 but that’s a little misleading cuz he only played 301 snaps for 28% of the teams def snaps.  He was claimed by Cleveland but only played 31 snaps in 5 games.... which resulted in the Browns resigning him for 1yr, $2M but got cut at the roster deadline.  Played games total for Indy and Jax in ‘19 before getting cut and not being picked back up.  He’s probably fizzled his way out of the league but the guy is still young and has the talent to at least push for a spot.  

Xavier Williams- 28yo 6’2 309... 5yrs= 44g with 6 starts.... But really only a contributor in ‘18 for KC where he had 16g, 4 GS, 47Tkl, 2.5 sack.  It seemed like he had progressed to be a decent 3rd DT in a rotation in ‘18 but ‘19 brought him injuries and he was IR’d with return designation after 5 games and brought back to play in playoffs.  He’s another decent player to sign for competition, but couldn’t see him beating out Hall.

Maybe some players are cut before camp?

Mike Daniels is the one I could see us bringing in during camp. I really like him as a person too so it would be cool.

6 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Mike Daniels is the one I could see us bringing in during camp. I really like him as a person too so it would be cool.

I've previously mentioned Gotsis, McGee and Jernigan as guys I'd be tempted to take a look at, all quite versatile and as JimKelly says the 4th/5th DT needs to be more than a one dimensional run stuffer really but Daniels is a good name to bring up, he was very effective a couple years ago but seems to have just fallen off a cliff. Maybe he didn't want to be in Detroit either plus the injuries but he seems to have had a precipitous fall as he was a real quality operator in GB.

None of those guys seem that old really, maybe it's the unusual offseason or just my name recognition distorting the actual talent these guys still have but there appears to be an unusual amount of talent sat on couches at DT this year.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

There are some players we could sign if we wanted to push Hall out, but overall there ain’t much out there..... I say resign Dion Jordan (have him rush with a bunch of twists and stunts.... his length is something our other DTs lack) and keep Hall!

Available DTs:

Marcell Darius- only 30yo despite being in the league forever it seems...3rd overall pick in ‘11.  Was one of the top handful of DT’s during his rookie contract... then got paid massively and fell apart.  He’s been a decent starter but not highly productive last few years and missed a lot of time to injuries.  He’s the type of guy you bring in if you want Hall pushes out.  But I’d honestly rather have Hall.

Damon Harrison-  31 years old.  Was a top 3 (if not the best) run defending DT until last season.  Got hurt and hated being in Detroit and admittedly dogged it.  The narrative is he’s not healthy but I’ve read and believe he just didn’t want to play in Detroit.  The nostalgic (Gruden’s the same way) me would be very excited to get him and form a newer version old 2 big run stuffing DT’s like with Grady Jackson, Darrell Russell, Ted Washington, John Parella, Sam Adams, Tommy Kelly, Richard Seymour, John Henderson, etc etc..... but it’s a passing league now.  Plus, we have Hankins and need the 4th DT (Hankins, Hurst, Collins, 4th DT) to be a good run stuffer yet versatile enough to play various alignments and rotate interchangeably.  Harrison would be a fine replacement heavens forbid Hankins gets hurt but isn’t a better fit the Hall, despite actually being a better run defender.... still.

John Jenkins- 30yo NT.  Big NT at 6’3 347. Was good his first 3 years but by ‘16 injuries limited his play.  3 years of minimal playing time for 4 teams.... then a resurgence last year for Miami and played 16 games and 479 snaps.  Given what little is out there on the market I’d consider him but he’s a run defender only and lesser version of Hankins.  When your only a NT you have to be good enough to start.... the depth DTs usually are able to play various alignments and rotate in for both DTs.  Jenkins is a 0/1 Tech only.  

Mike Daniels, Timmy Jernigan: once very productive but have had injuries in recent years.  Daniels was one of the top 10 DT/34DE’s in the league as late as ‘18 but got cut before camp started in ‘19 (a lowly result Of the mixture of high cap cost and GB believing he’s started to decline) then signed with Det for 1yr, $9.1M and got IR’d after 9 games (but only 2 starts and 204 snaps... but 52 of them came in 1 game he started.... it’d be more accurate to say he basically played only 20-40% of the snaps in those 9 games).  I’d guess he still thinks he should get a few million per year, and that’s why he’s gonna sit at home and wait til a team has a injury at DT.  I absolutely wouldn’t pay him much above the minimum with nothing guaranteed I wouldn’t mind losing to dead cap if he gets cut.  Jernigan on the other hand is still only 27 and only 1-2 years ago was a young promising and productive 3Tech... who was good enough to get a mid season 4yr/$48M rookie contract extension in ‘17.  But he hurt his back at the end of the ‘17 season and injured until week 12 in ‘18... and played only 3 games.... the injuries and his large cap cost resulted in his release to start FA in ‘19 but he was Resigned by Philly two months later to for 1yr, $2M....played in 10 games with 9 starts (274 snaps) but only had 10 tackles and 2 sacks.  He’s still young enough to rebound... but I’m not loving the idea to sign him because he hasn’t proven he can stay healthy for several years (back injuries are horrible) and when he was good he was far more pass rusher than run defender... which we already have in Hurst and Collins... I don’t see him as having a role on this team.  Hall’s value is his ability to play the run and he has shown glimpses and has the athleticism to develop into a decent pass rusher too.

Adam Gotsis- Young (27yo) and decent production, but more of a 3-4DE at 6’4 287.  2nd round pick by Denver and he played out his rookie deal.  He’s still available because he hurt his knee week 13 last year and probably just isn’t healthy yet.  Once healthy he’ll be a good depth pickup for whoever signs him but he doesn’t for our scheme.

Stacey McGee- we originally drafted him in the 6th round and had some decent years for us but left for a big deal with Washington once his rookie deal ended in ‘17.  He played good in ‘18 but fizzled out in ‘19 and was cut by Washington early in FA and then signed with Carolina, where he only played 4 games and 93 snaps all year.  He’s proficient and a balanced rusher and run defender.  He’s nothing great but since he’d come cheap he’s a good choice IMO to bring in for competition.  But the prospects of him contributing in ‘20 wouldn’t excite me.

Carl Davis- still only 28, 6’5 320ish Run stuffer who when drafted in 2015 (3rd RD) was a very highly regarded NT prospect who had athleticism and wasn’t just a big fat gap filler.  After 3 years in Baltimore where he had a lot of competition and injuries (missed all of 2016) he fizzled out and was waived at the roster deadline in ‘18.  He did show promise and started 9 games in ‘17 but that’s a little misleading cuz he only played 301 snaps for 28% of the teams def snaps.  He was claimed by Cleveland but only played 31 snaps in 5 games.... which resulted in the Browns resigning him for 1yr, $2M but got cut at the roster deadline.  Played games total for Indy and Jax in ‘19 before getting cut and not being picked back up.  He’s probably fizzled his way out of the league but the guy is still young and has the talent to at least push for a spot.  

Xavier Williams- 28yo 6’2 309... 5yrs= 44g with 6 starts.... But really only a contributor in ‘18 for KC where he had 16g, 4 GS, 47Tkl, 2.5 sack.  It seemed like he had progressed to be a decent 3rd DT in a rotation in ‘18 but ‘19 brought him injuries and he was IR’d with return designation after 5 games and brought back to play in playoffs.  He’s another decent player to sign for competition, but couldn’t see him beating out Hall.

Maybe some players are cut before camp?

Good list... all those guys could be brought in last minute before camp hits.... 

I think it’s unlikely we sign any of the “bigger” names available.  If we wanted someone to push Hall out we would have signed or drafted one by now.  
And again,,, Hall is a nice rotational piece as he can play in every DT alignment, is a solid run defense capable of taking on double teams, and can push the pocket occasionally when rushing.

The call out he got was meant to be motivational, not condemn him.  They were trying to light a fire under his arse.  
What I’m concerned with is the quality of our DT5 cuz in the event one of the top 4 get hurt were signing a guy off the street, cuz the other ones on the roster aren’t getting brought up.

• Like 1

Also, I think the reason Daniels, Dareus, Jernigan, and Harrison are still available is:

1) this is their last shot on a team, most likely, so fit within the team is critical.

2) Their all looking for a team they can make.  If they get cut at the deadline their prolly done.  Just as I said in my long post I’d rather have Hall due to his versatility along the line and ability to contribute in a rotation; all of these vets have pretty 1 sided games: Harrison+Darius are 0/1Tech run stuffers and Daniels+ Jernigan are 3Tech penetrators.  Imagine if Hankins rolls an ankle and is out 2 weeks....Who would you rather have: Hall or one of the 4?  I’d say Hall because he can play NT on run downs but also we could change the DL scheme up and rotate Hurst, Collins, and Hall throughout the game.   Jernigan and Daniels can’t slide to NT and Dareus and Harrison can play 30-40 snaps in a 3 man rotation while providing pass rush.

3) Besides finding a team they can make and contribute, these guys are use to big contracts and under a million isn’t alluring to them, especially with the additional strain the COVID situation will put them under throughout the season.  They all got massive deals and even when cut landed one year deals for $9-12M, except Jernigan who got $2M.  Pride is prolly keeping them from taking a minimum deal, teams have the money to pay them $4-6M, and just to be 100% honest it might not be worth the strain on their bodies to play for around a million dollars, given their previous earnings (hopefully their financial set for life).  

conclusion-

Watch the tape: Hall is a solid run defender and perfectly complements a 4 man rotation with Hankins, Hurst, and Collins.  Get a Stacey McGee level player to push Hall and the rest of them, and in the event of an TC injury he’d at least be a solid 4th DT in the rotation.  
Bring back Dion Jordan, who can rush from DT and showed that his length (which Hurst, Hall, and Collins lack) he can be effective on twists and stunts and getting his hands up in passing lanes.  Ferrell is very very good at this, Crosby has the potential to be, and a 3rd Player from the DT position would really give QBs, especially the smaller ones, fits due to tipped balls.  Jordan is the ideal 9th DLmen imo due to his versatility, as he can rotate with everyone but the NT.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Watch the tape: Hall is a solid run defender and perfectly complements a 4 man rotation with Hankins, Hurst, and Collins.  Get a Stacey McGee level player to push Hall and the rest of them, and in the event of an TC injury he’d at least be a solid 4th DT in the rotation.  
Bring back Dion Jordan, who can rush from DT and showed that his length (which Hurst, Hall, and Collins lack) he can be effective on twists and stunts and getting his hands up in passing lanes.  Ferrell is very very good at this, Crosby has the potential to be, and a 3rd Player from the DT position would really give QBs, especially the smaller ones, fits due to tipped balls.  Jordan is the ideal 9th DLmen imo due to his versatility, as he can rotate with everyone but the NT.  

Totally agree with this.

With respect to Hall, he hasn't been poor by any stretch but I think expectations were quite high. I mocked him to us pre draft in the 4th or 5th round if I remember correctly so was pleased when we drafted him albeit a couple rounds too early I thought in my very amateur opinion 😁

Obviously in college his pass rush numbers were what stood out so I think to many (including myself) the pass rush production has been the big disappointment, maybe we were expecting too much too soon. He's still a pretty solid player though with a lot of scope to improve further given his rawness and competition level he came from. He might be a dark horse for a breakout this year.........

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

Totally agree with this.

With respect to Hall, he hasn't been poor by any stretch but I think expectations were quite high. I mocked him to us pre draft in the 4th or 5th round if I remember correctly so was pleased when we drafted him albeit a couple rounds too early I thought in my very amateur opinion 😁

Obviously in college his pass rush numbers were what stood out so I think to many (including myself) the pass rush production has been the big disappointment, maybe we were expecting too much too soon. He's still a pretty solid player though with a lot of scope to improve further given his rawness and competition level he came from. He might be a dark horse for a breakout this year.........

Hey some time the amateur opinion is better than the “experts”.  Hall was taken too high, he’d prolly have been a nice pick in the mid 3rd to 4th rounder.

Just to be honest and this isn’t a rip on a few posters here, but I think people on this board are just hating on him without reason.  

Nonetheless, Hall has shown a few glimpses of the burst to be a nice pass rusher but hasn’t done it consistently.     I’ve got reserved optimism he’ll break out in that regard this year.  I don’t mean he’ll get 8 sacks.  What I mean is he’ll provide consistent pass rush pressure.  
I Think he needs to add 4 things: secondary moves for when the initial move doesn’t work, refine his technique to be more consistent with his first move, “turn up and play with more fire”, and finish plays.  He has proven he can burst through the line with the insane quickness we expected based on his workout numbers.  I think his reach will always be an issue for him: He’s 6’0.5” with 32” arms and 77” wingspan.... he’s the opposite of Crosby who uses his reach to close the rushes when he gets close.  Hall has to live off his burst and first step + first move.  He’s capable of blowing thru the line right at the snap and pushing The pocket, which will help the DEs.

We don’t need him to be our primary pass rusher, we have Hurst and Collins.  His value is stopping the run and allowing Hurst and Collins to be basically DPR’s from the DT position, while also rotating in on passing downs and providing pressure when they need a breather.

Hall could essentially have a very good season and on the stat sheet only have 35-40 tackles and 4 sacks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’ve got reserved optimism he’ll break out in that regard this year.  I don’t mean he’ll get 8 sacks.  What I mean is he’ll provide consistent pass rush pressure.  
I Think he needs to add 4 things: secondary moves for when the initial move doesn’t work, refine his technique to be more consistent with his first move, “turn up and play with more fire”, and finish plays.  He has proven he can burst through the line with the insane quickness we expected based on his workout numbers.  I think his reach will always be an issue for him: He’s 6’0.5” with 32” arms and 77” wingspan.... he’s the opposite of Crosby who uses his reach to close the rushes when he gets close.  Hall has to live off his burst and first step + first move.  He’s capable of blowing thru the line right at the snap and pushing The pocket, which will help the DEs.

Another few points I'm in total agreement on. The outside boys should be our primary pass rushers but if Hall, Hurst and Collins can provide some penetration si QBs have a difficult time stepping up away from the edges then hey will contribute hugely. Hall in particular  can be very 'sudden' and provide a great compliment. I think this year he'll lower his hips a little and that will help a lot, he shoots out if his stance but sometimes 'pops' up too high too early. Wasn't a problem in college but good interior OL will catch hold of that. Agree that a season with 40 tackles, 4 sacks and a number if pressures would be great for him. He looked to me like he needed to get fitter, possibly the effect the coaches were trying to improve with their criticisms. I'm intrigued to see how he progresses!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Another few points I'm in total agreement on. The outside boys should be our primary pass rushers but if Hall, Hurst and Collins can provide some penetration si QBs have a difficult time stepping up away from the edges then hey will contribute hugely. Hall in particular  can be very 'sudden' and provide a great compliment. I think this year he'll lower his hips a little and that will help a lot, he shoots out if his stance but sometimes 'pops' up too high too early. Wasn't a problem in college but good interior OL will catch hold of that. Agree that a season with 40 tackles, 4 sacks and a number if pressures would be great for him. He looked to me like he needed to get fitter, possibly the effect the coaches were trying to improve with their criticisms. I'm intrigued to see how he progresses!

Spot on!  Yeah, Hall’s main contributing problem IMO was poor nutrition and training.  And I think that’s why Mayock put him on point at the time he did.  He wanted him to be busting his butt to come into his 3rd year in great shape and ready to take the next step. I think Mayock sees the potential in Hall (that’s why he hasn’t tried to replace him) but also is trying to command the next level of NFL professionalism to keep your body in peak shape and train.

18 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

This is the dude who said the 49ers would be like 2-14 last season and predictions in general are pure BS and mean nothing, but fun to see what some media thinks of our odds.

It’s nice to see we don’t have a crazy SOS, and unlike last year, don’t have to make insane travel route to games.

But those SOS numbers are based on last years and can drastically change as teams improve or regress as the season goes along.

Our PreSeason SOS was ranked #32 (the worst or hardest) with  .539% (137-117-2) .....

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-strength-of-schedule-patriots-and-redskins-have-it-easiest-raiders-face-roughest-ride/

.... but by the end of the ‘19 season our SOS was 0.482%, which ranked #23.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/11/25/20971426/nfl-draft-2020-order-updated-picks-strength-of-schedule

While we still had a relatively tough schedule it wasn’t nearly as bad as it was first portrayed to be.

So looking at our 2020 Schedule:

2020 NFL Schedule:

WK DATE OPPONENT Win OR Loss Record
1 Sun, 9/13 @CAR Win 1-0
2 Mon, 9/21 vsNO Loss 1-1
3 Sun, 9/27 @NE Win 2-1
4 Sun, 10/4 vsBUF Win 3-1
5 Sun, 10/11 @KC Loss 3-2
6 BYE WEEK    
7 Sun, 10/25 vsTB Win 4-2
8 Sun, 11/1 @CLE Win 5-2
9 Sun, 11/8 @LAC Win 6-2
10 Sun, 11/15 vsDEN Win 7-2
11 Sun, 11/22 vsKC Loss 7-3
12 Sun, 11/29 @ATL Win 8-3
13 Sun, 12/6 @NYJ Win 9-3
14 Sun, 12/13 vsIND Win 10-3
15 Thu, 12/17 vsLAC Win 11-3
16 Sun, 12/27 vsMIA Win 12-3
17 Fri, 1/3 @DEN Loss 12-4

Win: Loss:   Inside Conf.
Out of Conf.
@CAR     3-3 9-1
  vsNO      
@NE     KC: 0-2  
vsBUF     SD: 2-0  
  @KC   DEN: 1-1  

vsTB        
@CLE        
@LAC        
vsDEN        
  vsKC      
@ATL        
@NYJ        
vsIND        
vsLAC        
vsMIA        
  @DEN    

I think the schedule is very advantageous to us.

The “toss up” games of games where we have a tough opponent are often home games for us:  Buffalo, Indy

Also, I feel like playing NE early in the year (week 3) is advantageous because they haven’t hit stride yet with their new QB, Cam Newtown.

edit:  the win/loss matrix i made ur games we should in theory win... but we’ll lose some we should have won and win some we should have lost.

Edited by jimkelly02

So I was reading an article about how our defense has improved and it reminded me of when I played against Kansas City on Madden and lost to them, on rookie....

Our DBs were crap.  Literally had to replace them with the FAs available.  Literally signed AB off of FA as well, as well as Antonio Gates because his rating was higher than Moreau's.  Still ended up losing.  Our DBs just couldn't defense Tyreek Hill.  Anyway, I think our defense is going to be way better this year.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Literally signed AB off of FA as well, as well as Antonio Gates because his rating was higher than Moreau's.  Still ended up losing.

Blasphemy! Your dead to me Jerry!

But yeah our secondary is really improved... in all aspects really.

Actually having a playmaker in Abram will be huge IMO.  As will having Littleton and Kwiatkowski covering TEs and RBs from the LB position.... it wasn’t just our secondary that was failing us, it was everyone who was in coverage. 

For a while when watching the games there was always fear when teams threw on us because it was a matter of when not if we game up the TD.  This year we’ll hopefully be able to have faith that our coverage can hold up.... and possibly actually make some plays.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I later traded him for a first to the Dolphins and got Chase Young.  Crazy what you can do in that game.

You instantly redeemed yourself! Lol

btw i edited by post, fyi.

i haven’t played video games since Travian Smith was my version of Chase Young lol,,, I wouldn’t line him up as a 9wide.... it was more like 13wide LOL and just rush super wide with his speed and get the sack.  But even then I’d sign mad FAs and immediately trade them LoL and build a dynasty.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1