Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-roster-rankings-all-32-teams-ravens-first-jaguars-last

25. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

Biggest strength: Darren Waller came out of nowhere last season. Waller ended the 2019 season ranked fifth in overall PFF grade at the tight end position behind only George KittleMark AndrewsTravis Kelce and Tyler Higbee. His 29 receptions of 15 or more yards, however, were fewer than only Kelce. Waller quickly became quarterback Derek Carr‘s top target and one of the premier receiving threats at the position; expect him to remain in that conversation in 2020.

Biggest weakness: Given the limited offseason, Lamarcus Joyner will probably retain his starting job in the slot, but that is not his best fit on the Raiders' defense. Joyner enjoyed nothing but success when lined up at free safety with the Rams, and a move to the slot in 2019 came with a career-low 42.8 grade in coverage. It wouldn't be a surprise to see someone else in that role at some point next season.

X factor for 2020: Since PFF began charting college football in 2014, Maurice Hurst remains the highest-graded interior defender from an FBS school. He was dominant at Michigan. Obviously, health concerns caused him to slip in the 2018 draft, and Hurst hasn't exploded onto the scene yet in the NFL. The signs are there for a breakout in 2020, though. His 83.1 pass-rushing grade from Week 9 through the end of the 2019 regular season ranked fourth among interior defenders behind Aaron DonaldKenny Clark and Chris Jones.

Don't ask me why the biggest strength isn't Jacobs when he's their highest graded player.

Edited by oakdb36
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Don't ask me why they don't turn Hurst loose, P.J. Hall is just in the way.

I totally disagree with your comment.  PJ Hall is in no way “in Hurst’s way”.  Hurst isn’t great against the run and often blown right out of his gap, time and time again... especially when he sees any form of a double team.  Hall on the other hand is actually pretty decent at stopping the run and is stout against double teams.  

Hall’s presence and hopeful improvement will only help Hurst.  If Hurst is used as a 3down 3Tech he will wear down and his pass rush will be negatively affected.  The best thing for Hurst’s progress is to use him mostly as a pass rusher and use Collins/Hall as run defenders alongside Hankins.  

• Like 1

I don’t think Hurst is a lost cause, but it’s a huge year for him. He has shown flashes of being a good player, maybe year 3 he can put it all together. Sometimes players put it together during their 3rd year. If Hall or Hurst don’t emerge this year, they will he likely viewed as just depth the rest of their rookie contracts. As Mayock will probably look to upgrade with higher impact. 

• Like 1

Not surprised by the X Factor. Hurst is an analytics dream and don't get me started with PJ Hall. 

You can make a case about Waller being the biggest strength. He is the total package and is only gonna get better. I think his ceiling is as high as anyone on the team. 

From those practice pictures and videos that can been posted he looks to be in incredible shape def put on some muscle. Can't wait to see him ball out. 

10 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

With Waller, Witten, and Moreau (and possibly Carrier) I could seen us finishing #2 with a smaller gap than the one last year.... even taking the #1 spot if all goes well.

I expect Waller to get 85-95 catches, Witten should be able to give us 35-45 and Moreau’s kind of a wild card given he’s coming off an injury and the amount of snaps he’ll get could vary but I’d expect 35-50 if he doesn’t miss significant parts of the year.  That amounts to 155-180.

We should have a very very balanced offense with strong contributions from TEs, RBs, and WRs.

12 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Not surprised by the X Factor. Hurst is an analytics dream and don't get me started with PJ Hall. 

You can make a case about Waller being the biggest strength. He is the total package and is only gonna get better. I think his ceiling is as high as anyone on the team. 

From those practice pictures and videos that can been posted he looks to be in incredible shape def put on some muscle. Can't wait to see him ball out. 

Just want to clarify my previous point because I agree with you on Hurst   I think he’ll likely have a large 3rd year progression.  Partly because he’s likely to “put it all together” but also because of the increased talent on across the DL and especially alongside him at DT.  

Collins’ pass rushing should really help keep double teams off Hurst and open up rushing lanes.  The key with Hurst is to keep him from being worn down in the run game... as he only goes 293ish.  Hankins and Hall on run downs and Hurst and Collins on passing downs is a very good rotation.  
A lot of people on the board are sour on Hall but I think he’s a quality run defender from the 3Tech position.  He’s never going to warrant his 2nd round selection but he IMO will prove a lot of people wrong with his run stuffing.

I can see Hurst giving us 6-8 sacks, Collins 5-7, Hall 2-4, and Hankins 2-3.  
Plus, Crosby getting 8-13, Ferrell 6-8, Nassib 6-8, and Key 2-5.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

With Waller, Witten, and Moreau (and possibly Carrier) I could seen us finishing #2 with a smaller gap than the one last year.... even taking the #1 spot if all goes well.

I expect Waller to get 85-95 catches, Witten should be able to give us 35-45 and Moreau’s kind of a wild card given he’s coming off an injury and the amount of snaps he’ll get could vary but I’d expect 35-50 if he doesn’t miss significant parts of the year.  That amounts to 155-180.

We should have a very very balanced offense with strong contributions from TEs, RBs, and WRs.

You dont see TE opportunities diminishing a little due to a few more receiving options?

Waller and Moreau were basically our safety blankets last year when the receivers were struggling but as Renfrow came on towards the end of the year he took more targets and if we get back fully fit Williams and add in Ruggs and possibly Edwards and even Bowden that's a lot if other options should they remain healthy and not be complete flops. I would expect to see us try and get Ruggs at least 75 targets and probably at least the same for Williams.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

You dont see TE opportunities diminishing a little due to a few more receiving options?

Waller and Moreau were basically our safety blankets last year when the receivers were struggling but as Renfrow came on towards the end of the year he took more targets and if we get back fully fit Williams and add in Ruggs and possibly Edwards and even Bowden that's a lot if other options should they remain healthy and not be complete flops. I would expect to see us try and get Ruggs at least 75 targets and probably at least the same for Williams.

Opportunities for TE’s (Witten mainly) might diminish.... but Waller will be the main target still.... and this isn’t a zero sum  situation.... meaning as we improve on offense we will get more first downs and throw more passes overall.... obviously there are limits to how much growth we have but I think we’ll see way more Than 513 passes from Carr in 2020.  That was the lowest total he’s ever had.  Most years he attempts 550-600 passes.  

I also don’t think Bowden and Edwards really see much PT until the end of the year.  

Edited by jimkelly02

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I actually watched some Daniel Ross snaps and he doesn't look bad at all as a pass rusher. Sleeper to beat out Hall/take a 5th DT spot.

I don’t think Ross is a serious contender to beat out Hall, unless Hall just comes in out of shape and regresses.  

Ross is barely an NFL player.... he’s not an original 53 man roster level player.... he’s a week 6 you one starter for the year and a reserve for 4 weeks .... kind of player.

My point being we need to bring in another DT who can actually make the team if we have an injury in camp or Hall struggles.

I think there’s a lot ridding on Hall.... his ability to play on early downs alongside Hankins would keep Hurst and Collins from getting worn out not to mention their now great run defenders.

Edited by jimkelly02