Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

I don’t think Ross is a serious contender to beat out Hall, unless Hall just comes in out of shape and regresses.  

Ross is barely an NFL player.... he’s not an original 53 man roster level player.... he’s a week 6 you one starter for the year and a reserve for 4 weeks .... kind of player.

My point being we need to bring in another DT who can actually make the team if we have an injury in camp or Hall struggles.

I think there’s a lot ridding on Hall.... his ability to play on early downs alongside Hankins would keep Hurst and Collins from getting worn out not to mention their now great run defenders.

I see where you're coming from but I don't know if there's anyone cheap on the market who can make the team and threaten to start.

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Opportunities for TE’s (Witten mainly) might diminish.... but Waller will be the main target still.... and this isn’t a zero sum  situation.... meaning as we improve on offense we will get more first downs and throw more passes overall.... obviously there are limits to how much growth we have but I think we’ll see way more Than 513 passes from Carr in 2020.  That was the lowest total he’s ever had.  Most years he attempts 550-600 passes.  

I also don’t think Bowden and Edwards really see much PT until the end of the year.  

That's fair, and a good point about increased opportunities given we should be more efficient on offense and should lower our amount of 3 and outs. I guess if we have pass attempts split something like Waller 100, Witten & Moreau 75, Ruggs 75, Williams 75, Renfrow 75, Jacobs & Richards 100, that leaves 50 to 100 for guys like Jones, Edwards, Bowden, Agholor and any other role players. I think this could work nicely as we wouldn't necessarily have an easy to predict gameplan or obvious option 1, we would be more 'horses for courses' and could adapt to the specific D we face and be harder to gameplan against.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I don’t think Ross is a serious contender to beat out Hall, unless Hall just comes in out of shape and regresses.  

Ross is barely an NFL player.... he’s not an original 53 man roster level player.... he’s a week 6 you one starter for the year and a reserve for 4 weeks .... kind of player.

My point being we need to bring in another DT who can actually make the team if we have an injury in camp or Hall struggles.

I think there’s a lot ridding on Hall.... his ability to play on early downs alongside Hankins would keep Hurst and Collins from getting worn out not to mention their now great run defenders.

I was watching some maxx and cle highlights and guess who is there constantly getting doubled and not getting pushed back and sometimes even pushing the double teams back into the pocket.....hall. No matter if Hankins or mo is next to him. Hall is money esp on running plays.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That would be an awesome motorbike skid lid, but I dont think we should ever change the colours or helmet design from what we have. I do like it though especially with the matt black😀

9 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

That would be an awesome motorbike skid lid, but I dont think we should ever change the colours or helmet design from what we have. I do like it though especially with the matt black😀

Our uniforms are a tough one for me as well. I love ours right now and absolutely think they in the upper echelon of unis. They are classic, bad *** and eye catching. However I do think our color scheme and logo provides even more potential to elevate our unis further. I am not advocating for a uniform change but I think it would be cool to play around with diifferent color rush or alternates once in a while. Hopefully looking at utilizing more black on our pants and or helmet. Josh has been commenting about loving the idea of more black on our uniforms too iirc.

36 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Our uniforms are a tough one for me as well. I love ours right now and absolutely think they in the upper echelon of unis. They are classic, bad *** and eye catching. However I do think our color scheme and logo provides even more potential to elevate our unis further. I am not advocating for a uniform change but I think it would be cool to play around with diifferent color rush or alternates once in a while. Hopefully looking at utilizing more black on our pants and or helmet. Josh has been commenting about loving the idea of more black on our uniforms too iirc.

Yep, the uniforms do lend themselves to some pretty cool alternatives. Ive always thought the colour rush might look cool in silver with black trim and black helmets similar to above but then i just feel like I'm disrespecting the legacy of Al Davis 😁😁

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I was watching some maxx and cle highlights and guess who is there constantly getting doubled and not getting pushed back and sometimes even pushing the double teams back into the pocket.....hall. No matter if Hankins or mo is next to him. Hall is money esp on running plays.

Thank you for finally being someone on here to notice and say this!  Obviously Hall was over drafted but he’s proven to be a very solid run stuffer and capable of holding his own in the run game vs double teams.  
There’s a group of people on this board who just don’t like the guy... i can only guess because he hasn’t gotten a lot of sacks.... so he must suck and be cut they say. 
But the reality is.... when you watch the tape... Hall is a asset! Sure he got called out by Mayock, but that seemed like a pure Motivational thing.... the organization must have high hopes for him and called him out publicly to motivated him.  If they really had him in the doghouse and wanted to replace him they’d have brought in a player with a good chance of taking his roster spot.  They absolutely haven’t done that.... at all.  

We only have Daniel Ross, a relatively young player who proven he can make a 53 man roster in September but also hasn’t proven he can stick long term.... Kendal Vickers, a UDFA and CFL player with no NFL experience besides one TC.... and Mike Panasiuk, a midlevel UDFA with low upside and no distinguishable traits.

If we really wanted to push Hall why wasn’t a Corey Luiget type Veteran FA brought in to compete and take his spot?  
At Last year’s TC we had Hankins+Hurst+Hall AND Justin Ellis, Eddie Vanderdoes, Gabe Wright, and Ethan Westbrook’s competing for the 4th DT spot.

Seems to be 1) we’re going into TC with the 4 DTs (Hankins+Hall and Hurst+Collins) already set in near stone and only have a few camp bodies to take reps and fill in on days one of the main 4 take off 2) actually lacking depth in case of an injury.

Mark my words.... Hall will prove to be a valuable run defender again this year and will finally get noticed for it.  Talk of him not making the team at the moment is crazy.... who is gonna beat him out?

The plan really obviously seems to be have Hankins and Hall on run downs and Hurst and Collins on passing downs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Seems “cool” in theory but I see no reason to mess with tradition when we have the most bad arse uni’s in the NFL.  I’m cool with tweaking the jerseys for a special game but not the helmets.  

15 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I am getting an Any Given Sunday vibe from the helmet.  I could see them trying it out on a Thursday night game.

Funny you mention that because those jerseys could give us a glimpse as to what implementing more black would look like:

m8dangi_ec004.jpg

MV5BZDBjOGM5ZTgtODM1ZS00MjQ1LTlhYjAtNzg0

Sorta the Mean Machine's too sans the red, although the new Falcons unis look just like these:

the-longest-yard-1024x683.jpg

On 6/29/2020 at 12:09 AM, MrOaktown_56 said:

I see where you're coming from but I don't know if there's anyone cheap on the market who can make the team and threaten to start.

There are some players we could sign if we wanted to push Hall out, but overall there ain’t much out there..... I say resign Dion Jordan (have him rush with a bunch of twists and stunts.... his length is something our other DTs lack) and keep Hall!

Available DTs:

Marcell Darius- only 30yo despite being in the league forever it seems...3rd overall pick in ‘11.  Was one of the top handful of DT’s during his rookie contract... then got paid massively and fell apart.  He’s been a decent starter but not highly productive last few years and missed a lot of time to injuries.  He’s the type of guy you bring in if you want Hall pushes out.  But I’d honestly rather have Hall.

Damon Harrison-  31 years old.  Was a top 3 (if not the best) run defending DT until last season.  Got hurt and hated being in Detroit and admittedly dogged it.  The narrative is he’s not healthy but I’ve read and believe he just didn’t want to play in Detroit.  The nostalgic (Gruden’s the same way) me would be very excited to get him and form a newer version old 2 big run stuffing DT’s like with Grady Jackson, Darrell Russell, Ted Washington, John Parella, Sam Adams, Tommy Kelly, Richard Seymour, John Henderson, etc etc..... but it’s a passing league now.  Plus, we have Hankins and need the 4th DT (Hankins, Hurst, Collins, 4th DT) to be a good run stuffer yet versatile enough to play various alignments and rotate interchangeably.  Harrison would be a fine replacement heavens forbid Hankins gets hurt but isn’t a better fit the Hall, despite actually being a better run defender.... still.

John Jenkins- 30yo NT.  Big NT at 6’3 347. Was good his first 3 years but by ‘16 injuries limited his play.  3 years of minimal playing time for 4 teams.... then a resurgence last year for Miami and played 16 games and 479 snaps.  Given what little is out there on the market I’d consider him but he’s a run defender only and lesser version of Hankins.  When your only a NT you have to be good enough to start.... the depth DTs usually are able to play various alignments and rotate in for both DTs.  Jenkins is a 0/1 Tech only.  

Mike Daniels, Timmy Jernigan: once very productive but have had injuries in recent years.  Daniels was one of the top 10 DT/34DE’s in the league as late as ‘18 but got cut before camp started in ‘19 (a lowly result Of the mixture of high cap cost and GB believing he’s started to decline) then signed with Det for 1yr, $9.1M and got IR’d after 9 games (but only 2 starts and 204 snaps... but 52 of them came in 1 game he started.... it’d be more accurate to say he basically played only 20-40% of the snaps in those 9 games).  I’d guess he still thinks he should get a few million per year, and that’s why he’s gonna sit at home and wait til a team has a injury at DT.  I absolutely wouldn’t pay him much above the minimum with nothing guaranteed I wouldn’t mind losing to dead cap if he gets cut.  Jernigan on the other hand is still only 27 and only 1-2 years ago was a young promising and productive 3Tech... who was good enough to get a mid season 4yr/$48M rookie contract extension in ‘17.  But he hurt his back at the end of the ‘17 season and injured until week 12 in ‘18... and played only 3 games.... the injuries and his large cap cost resulted in his release to start FA in ‘19 but he was Resigned by Philly two months later to for 1yr, $2M....played in 10 games with 9 starts (274 snaps) but only had 10 tackles and 2 sacks.  He’s still young enough to rebound... but I’m not loving the idea to sign him because he hasn’t proven he can stay healthy for several years (back injuries are horrible) and when he was good he was far more pass rusher than run defender... which we already have in Hurst and Collins... I don’t see him as having a role on this team.  Hall’s value is his ability to play the run and he has shown glimpses and has the athleticism to develop into a decent pass rusher too.

Adam Gotsis- Young (27yo) and decent production, but more of a 3-4DE at 6’4 287.  2nd round pick by Denver and he played out his rookie deal.  He’s still available because he hurt his knee week 13 last year and probably just isn’t healthy yet.  Once healthy he’ll be a good depth pickup for whoever signs him but he doesn’t for our scheme.

Stacey McGee- we originally drafted him in the 6th round and had some decent years for us but left for a big deal with Washington once his rookie deal ended in ‘17.  He played good in ‘18 but fizzled out in ‘19 and was cut by Washington early in FA and then signed with Carolina, where he only played 4 games and 93 snaps all year.  He’s proficient and a balanced rusher and run defender.  He’s nothing great but since he’d come cheap he’s a good choice IMO to bring in for competition.  But the prospects of him contributing in ‘20 wouldn’t excite me.

Carl Davis- still only 28, 6’5 320ish Run stuffer who when drafted in 2015 (3rd RD) was a very highly regarded NT prospect who had athleticism and wasn’t just a big fat gap filler.  After 3 years in Baltimore where he had a lot of competition and injuries (missed all of 2016) he fizzled out and was waived at the roster deadline in ‘18.  He did show promise and started 9 games in ‘17 but that’s a little misleading cuz he only played 301 snaps for 28% of the teams def snaps.  He was claimed by Cleveland but only played 31 snaps in 5 games.... which resulted in the Browns resigning him for 1yr, $2M but got cut at the roster deadline.  Played games total for Indy and Jax in ‘19 before getting cut and not being picked back up.  He’s probably fizzled his way out of the league but the guy is still young and has the talent to at least push for a spot.  

Xavier Williams- 28yo 6’2 309... 5yrs= 44g with 6 starts.... But really only a contributor in ‘18 for KC where he had 16g, 4 GS, 47Tkl, 2.5 sack.  It seemed like he had progressed to be a decent 3rd DT in a rotation in ‘18 but ‘19 brought him injuries and he was IR’d with return designation after 5 games and brought back to play in playoffs.  He’s another decent player to sign for competition, but couldn’t see him beating out Hall.

Maybe some players are cut before camp?

• Like 2