Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Leatherwood doesn’t strike me as mentally slow, in fact he seemed bright in interviews.  I think he’s struggling mentally with moving to the Right side.  I think he should be moved to LG if he doesn’t blow up camp at RT.

Off the field he doesn’t, but his processing is awful.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Off the field he doesn’t, but his processing is awful.

Yes…. And that makes me think he’s struggling with the transition.  Because he had good mentally processing in college at LT. 
We both agree moving him to LG is the best spot for him and the team.  I think he could really be special there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

No he wasn’t. You’re using hindsight. He was late 2nd almost every board. 

What hindsight? 
there was Sewell, slater, and Darrisaw and then jenkins, cosmi, eichenberg, leatherwood, and radunz.  

He was at worst in the mid 40s to early 50s.  And to be honest no teams care about any Mock draft boards.  

even if he was a late 2nd…. He doesn’t suck.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

This. he won the freakin Outland Trophy and was a 3-4 year starter at Alabama. He was not garbage. He was not a 1st round prospect but he definitely wasn’t garbage in college. 

He led the league in penalties his final year and gave up several sacks, while giving up zero the year before. 

Even if you want to make the argument he was good in college, and everyone and their mama projected him to suck at OT in the NFL. Most people projected him as a guard. 

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Leatherwood played RG in college in 2018 too for the "is it the side" question

The whole "switched sides" argument is the ultimate copium. Lineman switch sides all the time successfully. Orlando Brown switched sides; Jonathan Conklin switched sides; Braden Smith switched positions; Jordan Mailata switched sports. Conversely, what lineman "switched sides" and became good/bad all of a sudden? And, before anyone says Donald Penn, he was washed by the time he switched to right tackle.

Lastly, could you imagine the FEMA-level disaster it would be if Leatherwood played left tackle? Carr would break the fumble record twice in a season--that is, if he made it that long.

Edited by Rich7sena

21 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

The whole "switched sides" argument is the ultimate copium. Lineman switch sides all the time successfully. Orlando Brown switched sides; Jonathan Conklin switched sides; Braden Smith switched positions; Jordan Mailata switched sports. Conversely, what lineman "switched sides" and became good/bad all of a sudden? And, before anyone says Donald Penn, he was washed by the time he switched to right tackle.

Lastly, could you imagine the FEMA-level disaster it would be if Leatherwood played left tackle? Carr would break the fumble record twice in a season--that is, if he made it that long.

I agree this is a bad roster. Yet somehow they made the playoffs. How did they do that!? Lot of really close games.

I’m going off in another direction but in your opinion how did this bad roster out perform their talent, through alllll the adversary of the season?

luck?

leadership?

good core?

coaching?

im sorry if this is the wrong thread.. but this team impressed me. What part of this team can give me optimism about next years team?

or is it possible that all the **** they went through bonded them and it was just a fluke?

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:44 PM, Bitty 2.0 said:

I found this interesting I was reading somewhere about Leatherwood performance this year and the analyst says he does everything right except opens up to the inside instead of the outside like he's playing the left side of the line instead of the right.

I'm not sure if it is an easy fix but seems to be. Just found it interesting

Put him at LG. He was a LT, so he is better suited on the left side...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

By college standards, maybe Mr. Leatherwood didn't "suck". 

But he sucks as an NFL player. Dude showed zero growth over the entire season and is a penalty/whiff machine. 

He needs to cut down on the penalties but I thought he got better as the season went on. The constant penalties were awful though. 

Here's where I'm at with Leatherwood. Simpson/Good are under contract. Good is starting 1000%. The real question is, is it at left guard or right guard. Simpson is a fine backup guard but he also shouldn't be starting. I give Leatherwood a chance to compete for left guard. That's it. But trading him after a year is idiotic. You aren't going to get a return and if he gets coached up/hits somewhere else, you'll look stupid.

He's already a good run blocker. Look at the OL guru himself:

His pass blocking is just not up to par at all. It's all coaching. 

TLDR: yes he sucked but he's also talented. Give him a chance to compete next year because OL can get a lot better from year 1 to year 2. That's all I have to say. And NO, none of us (rightly) supported the pick, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't make the most of him now that he's on the roster.

• Like 1