Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

14 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I just can't be mad about not signing the Smiths. Especially when people here hate paying guys here hate signing not top 5 guys to top 5 money. 

Some said we over payed Humphries even though he has production to match the Payday. 

I completely agree. I said it last night. I didn't want to throw ridiculous amounts of money at an average player just for the sake of filling a need.  Granted it's a huge need, but I'd venture to say we'll get similar production if not more from one of these second wave guys at a more team friendly deal than what the Packers will get from either Smith.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I know its not all real money. But that's a lot for two guys that are soild at best. 

In two years when the cap has gone up another 20+ million it will look small.

Money isn't an issue in the NFL. Cap space isn't an issue unless your team is run by complete idiots.

Lewan's contract has already been beaten by some mediocre at best tackle. His deal is already looking like a bargain and that will only continue to be the case going forward, as every notable tackle that has starting experience is going to match or beat his.

It's why we need to just throw the contracts at Byard and Conklin and whoever else now. In a year or two it'll be looking like we stole them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

In two years when the cap has gone up another 20+ million it will look small.

Money isn't an issue in the NFL. Cap space isn't an issue unless your team is run by complete idiots.

Lewan's contract has already been beaten by some mediocre at best tackle. His deal is already looking like a bargain and that will only continue to be the case going forward, as every notable tackle that has starting experience is going to match or beat his.

It's why we need to just throw the contracts at Byard and Conklin and whoever else now. In a year or two it'll be looking like we stole them.

But for the right now lol. That's a lot to take on all at once. 

11 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

PFF? The same sure that has Finch as our 4th highest rated player... And Pruitt 6th?

Looking past that... They had Jackson, Adams, and James top 3, above Byard. That's some of the same group I have Byard alongside with... As the young, up and coming group. I don't think Byard had distinguished himself from that group... (J Johnson, K Jackson, Hyde, McCourty, Harrison find out the rest of the PFF group). They're all good. 

Jackson, Adams, James, Smith all made all pro last year... 

Hyde, Clinton - Dix, Thomas, Berry, McCourty, Collins, Byard all have 1 in the the past 3 years. 

Smith is the only one with multiple years in the past 3. 

Again, the top tier is the established elite. Harrison is elite. Thomas is elite. Berry may have been the best safety in the NFL prior to his injuries and I wont remove him from the group until his play on the field warrants it (if he came back from cancer, I won't count him out now). Collins had a bad season, but he's 2 years removed from a 3rd place DPOY season. 

Byard has a chance to establish himself as elite... But has he been passed by the guys that made all pro over him this past season? One season is not enough to say so... All of these guys on this group have a bit to go to distinguish themselves as the new elite. 

So you choose to focus on PFF in an attempt to discredit the claim, yet completely ignore that I said it meant little to me and that Greg Cossell, someone who is very well respected, has said he is the best safety in the NFL. He didn't say he was one of the best. He said he was the best.

So in order to be top tier you have to be 30 years old? The last two years Byard is up there with Smith and I would laugh at Thomas playing in the box anywhere close to Byards level. Clinton-Dix isn't in the conversation.

The hall of fame is for comparing careers. I'm talking about current performance.

Jack Conklin made All Pro his rookie season. Did that mean he was better than the established RTs? I don't really consider that the only unit of measurement.

Edited by TitanSS

55 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I just can't be mad about not signing the Smiths. Especially when people here hate paying guys here hate signing not top 5 guys to top 5 money. 

Some said we over payed Humphries even though he has production to match the Payday. 

Which is stupid. Did everyone not see the train wreck our receivers were? He is leagues better in the slot than anything we put out there last year. Not only is he entering his prime, but he can also return punts which is something we need since Adoree is both too stupid and fragile and has butter fingers on top of it. Hump is easily worth 9 mil to our roster.

29 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

So you choose to focus on PFF in an attempt to discredit the claim, yet completely ignore that I said it meant little to me and that Greg Cossell, someone who is very well respected, has said he is the best safety in the NFL. He didn't say he was one of the best. He said he was the best.

So in order to be top tier you have to be 30 years old? The last two years Byard is up there with Smith and I would laugh at Thomas playing in the box anywhere close to Byards level. Clinton-Dix isn't in the conversation.

The hall of fame is for comparing careers. I'm talking about current performance.

Jack Conklin made All Pro his rookie season. Did that mean he was better than the established RTs? I don't really consider that the only unit of measurement.

One person's opinion,... A respected opinion, but one person's. And I haven't found a quote from Byard saying he was the best safety in the NFL (found a quote from him in 2016 saying he won't be surprised if he becomes elite or sonething along those lines). 

Conklin had 1 all pro season... Just like Byard. Doesn't make either elite. 

The young guys I mentioned also have the same credentials as Byard. They're all good... None of them, including Byard have established themselves over the others as elite. Bears fans will claim Jackson is elite... Same with Jets fans and Adams, Chargers fans with James, etc. Joyner, Collins were both considered elite just last year.

Outside of Titania, a very small percentage of people would consider Byard elite. The consensus is probably that he's damn and a chance to establish himself in that top/elite tier... But isn't there yet (just like the other thing guys). 

We tend to overrated our own players, like I said previously. Just because I dint think Byard will approach Collins' contract? He really should get an extension this year sometime, so we'll find out soon what his market really is. 

Definitely interested in these remaining free agents:

Justin Houston OLB (9/10 interest level)

Rodger Saffold G (9/10 interest level)

Jamon Brown G (5/10 interest level)

Danny Shelton NT (7/10 interest level)

Shaq Barret OLB (7/10 interest level)

Cordarelle Patterson WR (6/10 interest level)

Brent Urban DE (6/10 interest level)

Christian Covington DE (5/10 interest level)

Michael Pierce NT (RFA: 2nd round tender) (9/10 interest level)