Mike Mayock nearing deal to be Raiders next GM.

TecmoSuperJoe

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

Does make you wonder if Mark Davis is just glued to the TV and thinks that guy really knows what hes talking about. I need HIM

That may be. Mayock certainly knows his stuff, though. I think this will end up being a great hire for the Raiders. 

8 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Based on what I know about Mayock, hes going to put a premium on rushing the passer and protecting the QB.  Dbs will be technically sound guys who will come up and tackle, and TEs better be willing blockers.  Actually sounds pretty solid to me.

Yeah...although we'll never know how much of their on-air babbling is just shtick for entertainments' sake, Kiper and McShay don't seem nearly as football savvy as Mayock, They also don't appear to know the value of later round picks. 

Mayock is a good entertainer, and that's why it worked on TV. He's also very composed and self-assured.

He's not a great scout and that has showed through the years. He clearly lets his personal bias influence what he sees on tape.

Love Mayock on TV, gotta give him credit for being willing to put his money where his mouth is and actually go make the picks. He's also putting his rep as a draft analyst on the line - if he bombs (esp with how much draft capital Oakland has), there's no way people are going to trust what he says as a TV analyst anymore. I'm rooting for him, hope Gruden doesn't drag him down. 

Archived