Mike Mayock nearing deal to be Raiders next GM.

TecmoSuperJoe

Mayock might be a decent talking head for TV, and I'd certainly trust his decision making more than Gruden.... but I don't see how this helps the raiders dig themselves out from the Gruden dumpster fire....He seemed to have a good nose for accurately ranking players as to where other scouts have players rated, but I don't think he's all that impressive at actually scouting/finding players outside of the already agreed upon scouting consensus that I've seen.

ESPN is reporting as well so....

I'm curious why so much hate? I understand  he has no GM experience  but neither did Elway, Lynch and numerous others.

What Mayock has over damn near all of the GM's in the NFL is the ability to not only find talent but possibly bring in some of the best Talent evaluators  He knows, not currently employed or  even steal several away from other organizations with him to the Raiders.

Isn't all the hoopla about Trading Mack, Cooper ect about the draft capital the Raiders acquired for the next few drafts? So why wouldn't  you want a Draft Guru of sorts to help utilize those picks?

Mayock has built relationships throughout the NFL with virtually every Franchise the past 30 years either as a player or scout including with Chucky. Does that not help as a GM? Especially when dealing with Gruden?

If Scrubs like Elway and Lynch with Zero FO , Personnel and  Scouting backgrounds can somehow make it in the NFL, why cant Mayock? I mean Howie Roseman started out on the Salary Cap Counsil back in 02' for godsake absolutely no football background? Look at him now?

Got no problem  with the hire what so ever. At the very least he's GM for the next two seasons , Drafts the **** out of players and they go from there.

I can think of worse Hires TBH. 

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

ESPN is reporting as well so....

I'm curious why so much hate? I understand  he has no GM experience  but neither did Elway, Lynch and numerous others.

What Mayock has over damn near all of the GM's in the NFL is the ability to not only find talent but possibly bring in some of the best Talent evaluators  He knows, not currently employed or  even steal several away from other organizations with him to the Raiders.

Isn't all the hoopla about Trading Mack, Cooper ect about the draft capital the Raiders acquired for the next few drafts? So why wouldn't  you want as Draft Guru of sorts to help utilize those picks?

Mayock has built relationships throughout the NFL with virtually every Franchise the past 30 years including with Chucky. Does that not help as a GM? Especially when dealing with Gruden?

If Scrubs like Elway and Lynch with Zero FO , Personnel and  Scouting backgrounds can somehow make it in the NFL, why cant Mayock? I mean Howie Roseman started out on the Salary Cap Counsil back in 02' for godsake absolutely no football background?

Got no problem  with the hire what so ever. At the very least he's GM for the next two seasons , Drafts the **** out of players and they go from there.

I can think of worse Hires TBH. 

I agree. From a draft perspective he will be a great addition. 

8 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Sucks for draft coverage. Daniel Jeremiah and Charles Davis will likely take on a bigger role. Both of them are good so it cushions the blow, but Mike was great in his position. Always kept Rich Eisen in line.

Joel Klatt was brought into last year on the secondary team when they jointly did it with Fox, I wonder if he becomes part of the main group

Good for Mayock, he has a really good scouting eye, hes willing to go out on a limb differing from the "consensus" on his own.  Makes you wonder if he might bring in some of the nfln guys like DJ or Bucky as scouts.  And for those who dont know, Mayock does have history as a scout.  Let's also not forget Rick Spielman was a draft guy at ESPN when the Vikes hired him.  The senior bowl and the combine wont ve the same 

Archived