DeShone Kizer announced starter

BwickRedux

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

If sashi truly wants to be a genius he should convert all of brocks salary to guarantee then trade Brock to jax for bortles and a 2nd round pick so jax could shed blakes 18M next year. Just keep taking on bad contracts for 2nd round picks. Full hinkie. 

what could he flip Bortles into after that?

8 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

If sashi truly wants to be a genius he should convert all of brocks salary to guarantee then trade Brock to jax for bortles and a 2nd round pick so jax could shed blakes 18M next year. Just keep taking on bad contracts for 2nd round picks. Full hinkie. 

Sashi Brown eats bad contracts. yum yum yum yum. latest?cb=20120128192952

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

All QBs are mentally breakable, it just depends on if they have grown beyond that before they are under fire.  Some are beyond it when they enter the NFL, others not.  Some never get beyond it (Ryan Leaf, Johnny Manziel, Jamarcus Russell).  No QB is unbreakable out of the womb!  That has to be developed.

I don't think so. I obviously didn't play at a high level but my offensive line made last years Browns look like world beaters. I picked up a lot of bad habits like running at the first sign of possible trouble but once things got a little better up front and I gained a little trust I was comfortable throwing from the pocket (aside from my arm being Kessler level).

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

Difference with Carr tho is he had a horrible offensive line. Kizer might be playing behind a top tier line. Also Carr had no rushing attack. Kizer potentially has a strong rushing attack with a crow on a contract year

Can't deny that, however, good OLine or not, there will be pressures when facing teams like the Steelers, there likely will be picks and bad things happening on the fly, the type of things that can damage confidence if the QB is not mentally tough.  Mental toughness is not a trait displayed by Kizer at ND unfortunately.

14 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

Can't deny that, however, good OLine or not, there will be pressures when facing teams like the Steelers, there likely will be picks and bad things happening on the fly, the type of things that can damage confidence if the QB is not mentally tough.  Mental toughness is not a trait displayed by Kizer at ND unfortunately.

Point taken. 

I think Kizer has been our best QB at throwing the ball away though. Not counting Osweilers over throws.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

So far in both preseason games, he has been better than the rest on the roster at most things.  I still worry though, the regular season is a whole different animal.

I think if Hue can simplify the playbook and basically give Kizer the Cody Kessler week 3 Miami game plan treatment and fit everything for him he'll be ok. 

Take the shots when you need and help the rookie feel comfortable. When you look at the schedule he won't have a tougher situation all season. If he gets through Pittsburgh week one at home and still have his confidence he'll be ok.

7 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

I'm not disagreeing with this, but would you go into this further as I'm not really sure what you're referring to. I just reread Dane Brugler's pre-draft writeup of his weaknesses and the closest I could find to mental toughness was : 

...consistency declined throughout the 2016 season and received questionable support from the head coach, who preferred to play Zaire and appeared to hold Kizer back in his development – confidence wavered due to the coach juggling the quarterback spot…

Just now, MWil23 said:

I give it a 5% chance of happening. Hue's going to swap in a guy who has been running the  scout team for about the last month based not just on Kizer flaming out and looking lost, but if he doesn't completely ball out? Nah, that makes zero sense.

1 hour ago, BwickRedux said:

I give it a 5% chance of happening. Hue's going to swap in a guy who has been running the  scout team for about the last month based not just on Kizer flaming out and looking lost, but if he doesn't completely ball out? Nah, that makes zero sense.

It's a baseless hot take to get attention by a failed FO guy trying to solidify a media career doing interviews on hot take shows. The replies to it on twitter from people who have actually watched the team this year have been awesome.

2 hours ago, BwickRedux said:

***HOT TAKE ALERT HOT TAKE ALERT HOT TAKE ALERT***

giphy.gif

I might be one of the few in here that's like Cattleman.....I think that we should start Kessler.....IMO he's had the most steady (if Unspectacular) play in the preseason. And also last season, as a third round rookie, with no reps, a Wr corps in shambles and an Oline that lost three of its 5 starters, he played very solid IMO....and that was vs. real bullets flying....

I recognize that Cody Kessler has some limitations, but what QB doesn't...I think H ue already knows that Kessler is an Andy Dalton....Couple things starting Kessler too, I think that would give some additional time to assess Kessler, it would provide some extra prepping time for Kizer, and then we could turn the key's over to him after the bye week (Unless Kessler is 7-1 and completing %68 of his passes).

Both young QB's would get assessed, and we could have a clear vision of which way we need to go.

Also wanted to point out...that not only is the QB draft class potentially special (I think Darnold stays, but Rosen, Faulk, the kid from Wyoming all come out), but in Free Agency next year....Drew Brees, Cousins, Garapolo and AJ McCaran all could be hitting the Free Agent Market.....

My dream is Kessler looks good, Kizer comes in at the bye and looks like he's going to develop into an absolute star.......then we sign Drew Brees next offseason to a two year deal and Load up in the draft.....make a run at this Playoffs thing....we would have a top 5 QB, two youngsters that look like they are going to develop.