Offseason/Coaching Rumors, 2019 Edition

TheKillerNacho

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

ff, the land where overreactions happen. ninerw were pretty beat up this year, surpising they even got 4 wins and last year was great once thry had their qb in place. shanahan is fine.

Niners hiring kyle shannahan in the first place to be anything but an offensive coordinator and then fans annointing him a great head coach was an overreaction if you ask me.

45 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Niners hiring kyle shannahan in the first place to be anything but an offensive coordinator and then fans annointing him a great head coach was an overreaction if you ask me.

thankfully you werent asked, cause thats an awful take.

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:
13 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Wonder if Zac Taylor gets the Bengals HC job if he tries to get his brother, Press (Eagles QB coach), to come with him as OC.
Or if he tries to get a vet guy who will stick around a bit.

I'd imagine Press would be in the mix, though I would rather a veteran coach like Monken or Kubiak to fill the OC position. Maybe Press would make a lateral move to coach with his brother? Who knows

A vet guy makes more sense, with how young Zac is... especially if Zac wants his crack at playcalling too. Press is still pretty green, but once he gets his shot, I’m sure he’d want to be calling  plays.

the eagles love him, and they both seem to have a solid amount of respect in the league for being young guys. So I’m not sure what would happen. At some point he’ll leave, don’t think Groh will get hired as a HC. So he’s limited how high he can go, especially with Duce being next up. They might offer him like a split job (passing coordinator, etc) but that’s about it. 

Seems like the hires were made quite quickly this year. Perhaps i'm wrong, but i could have sworn that in years past, coaches were usually hired beginning after the divisional round. Even with Zac Taylor/Brian Flores who aren't officially hired, the decision seems to have been made rather quickly.

I've also noticed most head coaches are receiving 4 year contracts with a 5th year option. Before it always used to be 4,-5 year contracts, i don't remember the option year being a highlight of contracts until this year. 

We'll see how it looks next year and beyond. I like the Bruce Arians and Vic Fangio hires (i wish the niners hired him instead of Jim Tomsula...). Lots of unknown or lightly experienced offensive hires. I wonder if we'll see the league trend towards defensive coaches in the near future. 

On 1/12/2019 at 7:45 PM, 49ersfan said:

I wonder if we'll see the league trend towards defensive coaches in the near future. 

oh for sure.

There will be a year where a couple of teams get to 11 or 12 wins on the back of their defense, then we'll be talking about those guys for HC spots.

Just so happens that this year the top teams were all teams with great offenses (and then the Ravens).

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

oh for sure.

There will be a year where a couple of teams get to 11 or 12 wins on the back of their defense, then we'll be talking about those guys for HC spots.

Just so happens that this year the top teams were all teams with great offenses (and then the Ravens).

Our DC this year can't even get a single HC interview. Meanwhile, Sean McVay's long-time barber could probably get a HC interview quicker.

Archived