BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

14 hours ago, Jlash said:

We can probably take a look at this year's stuff too and I'd imagine players getting 75% are still getting more than what they got in FA, I know my biggest FA Grady Jarrett got less than what his 75% 3 up # would have been.

I'd agree with this. I thought long and hard at 3up-ing Whitworth (1 year/~8,400) and KJ Wright (2 years/5,250) and both went for less than that in FA (Whitworth at 5/6600 and KJ at 4/4350).

So for the record Rags i'm holding at 75% as well.

Edited by Hockey5djh
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

1.  Dad had his double bypass friday and is doing very well.
2.  I have a post-FA power rankings done and am doing the analysis section for each team now.  I'l post it in a day or two.

Love you bud.

Glad Pops is ok.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

2.  I have a post-FA power rankings done and am doing the analysis section for each team now.  I'l post it in a day or two.

Hooray Mistarok

• Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 4:54 AM, Ragnarok said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Ok, here you go.  I bring you a power ranking despite being in the middle of the bar and dad's surgery.  I don't care if you don't like it.  If there was one thing that stood out, it was how many teams have really good defensive lines.

#1 Rome
Offense - Drew Brees - Todd Gurley - Phillip Lindsay - Amari Cooper - Julian Edelman - James Washington - Juju Smith-Schuster - OJ Howard - Jordan Reed - Tyron Smith - Ryan Ramczyk - Braden Smith - Brandon Linder - Justin Britt
Defense - Carlos Dunlap - Marcus Davenport - Michael Brockers - Gerald McCoy - Matthew Ioannidis - Dalvin Tomlinson - Leighton Vander Esch - Matt Milano - Janoris Jenkins - Marlon Humphrey - DJ Swearinger
Rookies to Watch - Chris Lindstrom - Jerry Tillery

Analysis - Arguably the most complete team in BDL, Rome boasts an elite passing attack, potentially great rushing attack(depending on Gurley’s knees), and a fantastic OL to protect Brees.  On defense, they have a solid edge rush(Davenport’s development will depend on whether this edge rush is just solid or great), a fantastic rotation of DTs, and two excellent linebackers.  Their top concern is in the secondary where they need a couple of guys to step up.    If they get this help in the secondary, Rome will once again be playing deep into the playoffs.

#2 Carolina
Offense - Phillip Rivers - Baker Mayfield - Alvin Kamara - Odell Beckham - Mike Evans - Sterling Shepard - Taylor Lewan - Lane Johnson - Quenton Nelson - Frank Ragnow - Nick Martin
Defense - Nick Bosa - TJ Watt - Ndamukong Suh - Kenny Clark - Bobby Wagner - Jalen Ramsey - Jaire Alexander - Keanu Neal - Eddie Jackson
Rookies to Watch - Miles Sanders - Jace Sternberger - Christian Wilkins - Taylor Rapp - Johnathan Abram

Analysis - Carolina has a great passing game, regardless of the QB they start, with an incredible receiving corps.  Kamara can do everything and they boast arguably the best three WR group in BDL.  If only they had a TE.  Like Rome, they have an elite OL to protect their QB.  On defense, they have elite talent all over the field.  While they need another LB and NB, they should match up very well with most offenses.

#3 Hawai’i
Offense - Russell Wilson - Saquon Barkley - Tarik Cohen - Antonio Brown - Ste’fon Diggs - Christian Kirk - Vance McDonald - Taylor Decker - Cam Robinson - Marshal Yanda - Brandon Scherff - Ryan Kelly
Defense - Frank Clark - Jadaveon Clowney - Harold Landry - Kyler Fackrell - DeForest Buckner - Sheldon Rankins - Roquan Smith - Casey Hayward - Marshon Lattimore - Mike Hughes - Eric Weddle
Rookies to Watch - Nasir Adderley

Analysis - Last years champs, they are absolutely loaded on offense.  They have some guys returning from injury on the OL that could make them even stronger up front.  While they have a very good defensive line(assuming Rankins returns to form), they do have some question marks at linebacker and in the secondary.  They need someone to play next to Roquan.  Also, Hughes and Nasir need to grow up quickly.

#4 Ivory Coast
Offense - Andrew Luck - Nick Chubb - Alshon Jeffery - Jared Cook - Trent Williams - Ricky Wagner - Zack Martin - Kyle Long - Jason Kelce
Defense - Khalil Mack - Myles Garrett - Da’Ron Payne - Maurice Hurst - Larry Ogunjobi - Patrick Peterson - Malcolm Butler - Tre’Davious White - Adore’e Jackson - Earl Thomas - Devin McCourty
Rookies to Watch - Daniel Jones - Devin White

Analysis - Arguably the best OL in BDL protects Luck and Chubb.  The biggest flaw on this team are the weapons.  Alshon is very good and Cook is still getting it done, but who else is going to catch passes from Luck?  Like the OL, the defense is stacked.  Their defensive line and secondary are as good as you’ll fine in BDL.  However, they desperately need Devin White to make a big impact from D1.

# 5 Singapore
Offense - Aaron Rodgers - Le’Veon Bell - James Conner - Kareem Hunt - Keenan Allen - Corey Davis - Eric Ebron - Joe Staley - Duane Brown - Marcus Cannon
Defense - Everson Griffen - Danielle Hunter - Aaron Donald - Damon Harrison - Deion Jones - Jaylon Smith - Desmond King - Jason McCourty - Jessie Bates
Rookies to Watch - Michael Deiter - Nate Davis - Erik McCoy

Analysis - This is a team of great strength and obvious weakness.  QB, RB, weapons, DL, and LB are all very, very solid.  However, holes in their OL and secondary could drag them down.  They need the rookies and young players to step up quickly.  How quickly the young guys develop will determine how this team finishes.

#6 Berlin
Offense - Tom Brady - Aaron Jones - Lamar Miller - Will Fuller - Chris Godwin - Kenny Golladay - Marquez Valdes-Scantling - Hunter Henry - Kolton Miller - Taylor Moton - Gabe Jackson - Corey Linsley
Defense - Justin Houston - Demarcus Lawrence - Lorenzo Carter - Mike Daniels - Brandon Williams - Leonard Williams - Taven Bryan - Da’Shawn Hand - Tremaine Edmunds - Rashaan Evans - Ja’whaun Bentley - Gareon Conley - Josh Jackson - LaMarcus Joyner - Damontae Kazee
Rookies to Watch - Derrius Guice - Marquise Brown - Irv Smith - Quinnen Williams - Rock Ya-Sin - De’Andre Baker - Byron Murphy - Juan Thornhill

Analysis - How good this offense becomes will depend on a number of 2nd and 3rd year players making another step forward.  Brady is gonna Brady, and there are some consistent guys on the OL and at RB, but progression by these young guys could make this offense as good as any in BDL.  The front seven on defense is very talented, with the deepest DT group in BDL holding the middle.  But once again, just how good it becomes depends on some 2nd year players, especially at LB, developing.  CB is also a question mark with a ton of rookies and 2nd year guys around. 

#7 Cuba
Offense - Deshaun Watson - Dalvin Cook - Julio Jones - Brandin Cooks - Anthony Castonzo - Rob Havenstein - David DeCastro - Alex Mack
Defense - Fletcher Cox - Jurrell Casey - KJ Wright - Richard Sherman - Isaiah Oliver - Bryce Callahan - Derwin James - Ronnie Harrison
Rookies to Watch - Michael Jordan - Elgton Jenkins - Rashan Gary - Joejuan Williams

Analysis - Cuba has a number of fantastic pieces on offenses.  Julio and Cooks are an awesome 1-2 tandem and their OL should be very good this year.  While there are some holes elsewhere, the bigger concern is in the backfield.  Watson keeps getting obliterated behind a poor RL offensive line, and Cook had been limited to 15 games his first two years.  If they both stay healthy and play to their potential, this offense should be great.  Especially if Ian Thomas turns into a consistent player.  Cuba has two elite DTs, an underrated secondary, and some solid-to-very good linebackers.  However, they may have the worst edge situation in BDL.  They desperately need a couple of their young guys to step up now.  If they get an edge rush and their backfield isn’t beat to hell, this team could finish above 7th. 

#8 Portland
Offense - Patrick Mahomes - Davante Adams - Mike Williams - David Njoku - Laremy Tunsil - Alejandro Villanueva - Clint Boling - Will Hernandez - Matt Paradis
Defense - Dee Ford - Whitney Mercilus - Jason Pierre-Paul - Kawann Short - Malik Jackson - Blake Martinez - Zach Brown - Desmond Trufant - Tavon Young - Malcolm Jenkins - Marcus Maye
Rookies to Watch - N/A

Analysis - Reigning NFL MVP, very talented OL, and 3 very nice receiving options is a great offense.  While they could use another WR and their RB situation is as questionable as any team in BDL, Portland should be able to win some games by just airing it out.  Especially because they could have a very good defense.  While their edge guys are very up-and-down, they have a very good DT tandem and very good linebackers to solidify the middle of their defense.  They also have a very respectable secondary that while not elite, is good enough.  If they can get a run game and their edge guys are ‘up’, this team could finish a fair bit higher. 

#9 Gotham
Offense - Carson Wentz - Derrick Henry - Kerryon Johnson - Rashaad Penny - Tyreek Hill - Jarvis Landry - Kyle Rudolph - Hayden Hurst - Jake Matthews - Mitchell Schwartz - Mike McGlinchey - Shaq Mason - Andrus Peat - Maurkice Pouncey
Defense - JJ Watt - Leonard Floyd - Chris Jones - Benardrick McKinney - Zach Cunningham - Josh Norman - Xavier Rhodes - Jourdan Lewis - Damarious Randall - Minkah Fitzpatrick - Justin Simmons
Rookies to Watch - Josh Jacobs - Jachai Polite

Analysis - One of the most complete rosters in BDL, they have top tier talent all over.  Their defense is one of the best in BDL, they have a very talented OL, and a strong running game that should be even better this year.  Their offensive weapons leave a bit to be desired.  Rudolph is slowing down, Hurst is unproven, and Tyreek might face suspension.  If Tyreek avoids suspension, this offense suddenly become explosive with Landry serving as a perfect slot WR.  If Gotham gets a 3rd WR, this offense suddenly becomes very scary.  Gotham is this low for two reasons.  First is a general lack of pass rush. Watt and Jones were elite last year, but they need one more guy to be a consistent pass rusher.  Second, and the main reason, is concern over Wentz’s health.  He has missed significant time the past two years.  If he goes down, Gotham finishes lower than this...if he stays healthy and plays up to his talent, Gotham finishes higher.

#10 Hungary
Offense - Jared Goff - Leonard Fournette - Larry Fitzgerald - Greg Olsen - Nate Solder - Jack Conklin - Andrew Norwell - Kelechi Osemele - Ali Marpet
Defense - Brandon Graham - Arden Key - Jonathan Allen - A’Shawn Robinson - Luke Kuechly - Aqib Talib - Dre Kickpatrick - Harrison Smith - Jabrill Peppers
Rookies to Watch - DK Metcalf - Andy Isabella - TJ Hockenson - Andre Dillard - LJ Collier

Analysis - Great young QB protected by a great OL.  But they may have the worst set of weapons in BDL.  Larry and Olsen were both top tier guys, but they are real old.  Fournette is honestly more name recognition than good football player right now.  That said, they drafted four offensive players that I think will be huge contributors in the next year or two.  I really think we view this offense very differently in a year.  Like on offense, their defense is give-and-take.  If Key or Collier become a viable DE, they will have an elite 4 man DL.  Kuechly is as good as any LB in the league, but they have little next to him.  They have some solid players in the secondary, but their are question marks.  This team is likely a year away, but I really like the foundation they’ve built on offense.

#11 New Orleans
Offense - Sam Darnold - Josh Allen - Ezekiel Elliott - Tyler Lockett - Sammy Watkins - Michael Thomas - Zach Ertz - Andrew Whitworth - Joel Bitonio - Kevin Zeitler - Travis Frederick
Defense - Calais Campbell - Geno Atkins - Sheldon Richardson - Johnathan Hankins - Danny Trevathan - Stephon Gilmore - Kyle Fuller - Chris Harris - Haha Clinton-Dix
Rookies to Watch - Drew Lock - Jawaan Taylor - Jonah Williams - Nick Bosa - Josh Allen - Chase Winovich - Dre’Mont Jones - Jeffery Simmons - Darnell Savage

Analysis - This will be similar to Gotham.  Awesome weapons and a great interior OL although OT will be a question.  They also have a very good DL that has a number of elite prospects and a very good CB threesome.  Safety is a major question mark as Savage is a rookie and Haha has been crap the past two years.  The other question is off-ball linebacker.  Trevathan is still good but they have no one next to him unless one of the rookies plays that position.  The  back middle of this defense is a serious weakness.  The main reason NO is this low is because of the QB situation.  They have 2 very talented QBs with better RL teams going into their 2nd year.  Who do they start?  And how does their starter do in year two?  If one of the QBs takes off, like Gotham, they will finish much higher than this. 

#12 Camden
Offense - Jimmy Garoppolo - Lamar Jackson - Sony Michel - DeAndre Hopkins - Courtland Sutton - Delanie Walker - Evan Engram - Cordy Glenn - Isaiah Wynn - Orlando Brown
Defense - Chandler Jones - Yannick Ngakoue - Akiem Hicks - Timmy Jernigan - Darius Leonard - AJ Bouye - Denzel Ward - Jamal Adams - Kevin Byard
Rookies to Watch - David Montgomery - Damien Harris - Benny Snell - AJ Brown - Hakeem Butler - Montez Sweat - Dexter Lawrence - Mack Wilson - Greedy Williams

Analysis - First, I love Camden’s defense.  Awesome DL, the best safety tandem in BDL, two very good CBs, and an All-Pro at LB.  And they made their defense better in the draft.  The issues come on offense.  While they should have a good running game and great receiving weapons, especially Hopkins, their OL and QB situation are concerning.  Orlando might be the best RT in football next year and Glenn is a solid player.  However, Wynn is basically a rookie coming off injury and I don’t know how much I trust the rest of the OL on their roster to play to a BDL level.  The other major question is QB.  Lamar needs to improve massively as a passer and Jimmy G has started all of 9 or so games.  They need to get consistent play all season to finish higher than this.

#13 Williamsport
Offense - Ben Roethlisberger - Devonta Freeman - Tevin Coleman - LeSean McCoy - James White - Golden Tate - Calvin Ridley - Anthony Miller - Jimmy Graham - Donovan Smith - Charles Leno - Dion Dawkins - Cody Whitehair
Defense - Michael Bennett - DJ Reader - Davon Godchaux - Dont’a Hightower - Myles Jack - Anthony Barr - Byron Jones - Donte Jackson - Carlton Davis - Ricardo Allen
Rookies to Watch - Cody Ford - Devin Bush  - Trayvon Mullen

Analysis - I had a tough time with Williamsport.  On one hand, they don’t have a ton of holes.  On the other, they don’t have a ton of strengths.  Big Ben is good, their backfield has some talented runners, they have some quality receiving options, and a good OL and DL.  Their best positions are LB and CB.  But even at those good positions, none are really strong enough to give this team an identity or overpower another solid unit.  I think they need a year to build up some legit strengths, which shouldn’t take long, before they can knock off the top half of the league. 

#14 Anchorage
Offense - Kirk Cousins - Christian McCaffrey - Cooper Kupp - George Kittle - Terron Armstead - Ja’wuan James - Joe Thuney
Defense - Trey Flowers - Cam Jordan - Javon Hargrave - Vita Vea - Jarran Reed - Joe Schobert - Jarrad Davis - Jamie Collins - Chidobe Awuzie - Landon Collins - Budda Baker - Justin Evans
Rookies to Watch - Noah Fant - Garrett Bradbury - Ed Oliver - N’Keal Harry

Analysis - This defense is going to be very good.  That DL will contend for best in BDL.  The LBs should be solid if not good, and they have some very good guys in their secondary.  This defense could compete.  The issues are on offense.  McCaffrey, Kupp, Kittle, and Armstead are all great players...but Cousins may never get love in BDL.  Ja’wuan and Thuney are very good...but the other two spots are not good.  And they need more weapons.  I really liked their draft on offense because Fant and Kittle could be a great TE pair and Bradbury should be a 10 year starter at C.   But I can’t get over Cousins.  But Kupp is a slot WR and they have no explosive WR option.  Harry might change that.  I think this team is a year and a QB away from being a top 6 team. 

#15 Seoul
Offense - David Johnson - Jordan Howard - AJ Green - TY Hilton - Antonio Callaway - Travis Kelce - Ronnie Stanley - Rodger Saffold - Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff
Defense - Melvin Ingram - Bradley Chubb - Derek Barnett - Grady Jarrett - Linval Joseph - CJ Mosley - Darius Slay - Ronald Darby - Sidney Jones - Justin Reid - Marcus Williams - Terrell Edmunds
Rookies to Watch - Kyler Murray

Analysis - Good RBs, great WR corps, top TE, and a few very good OL.  That’s a solid BDL situation for Kyler to join offensively.  Not to mention an awesome DL.  They have concerns at LB and a lot of questions marks in the secondary.  Plus the OL has arguably the two biggest holes in BDL.  They don’t even have another OT on the roster.  There are just too many holes with a rookie QB. 

#16 OKC
Offense - Josh Rosen - Joe Mixon - Melvin Gordon - Adam Thielen - Robert Woods - DJ Moore - Trey Burton - David Bakhtiati - Brandon Brooks - Rodney Hudson - James Daniels
Defense - Von Miller - Ryan Kerrigan - Cameron Heyward - Stephon Tuitt - Lavonte David - Marcus Peters - Shaquill Griffin - Adrian Amos - Malik Hooker
Rookies to Watch - N/A

Analysis - I think this team is better overall than Seoul and maybe a couple others right now.  They have two very talented RBs, three WRs that will see a ton of targets, Burton who should be better, and an OL that could be in the top 5 in BDL.  Like their OL, their 4 man DL could easily be top 5 in BDL.  They also have an elite safety tandem.  Their second biggest flaw is that they have issues at CB and LB, so coverage will be an issue.  But the biggest problem, and reason I had to put them last, is because they are the one team with a QB that may not even start week 1 IRL.  If they bring in a Matt Ryan or Derek Carr and either have a big year...they can easily be a playoff team.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Analysis - Good RBs, great WR corps, top TE, and a few very good OL.  That’s a solid BDL situation for Kyler to join offensively.  Not to mention an awesome DL.  They have concerns at LB and a lot of questions marks in the secondary.  Plus the OL has arguably the two biggest holes in BDL.  They don’t even have another OT on the roster.  There are just too many holes with a rookie QB. 

What is the second hole in my OL? The RT position and? 

8 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

#7 Cuba
Offense - Deshaun Watson - Dalvin Cook - Julio Jones - Brandin Cooks - Anthony Castonzo - Rob Havenstein - David DeCastro - Alex Mack
Defense - Fletcher Cox - Jurrell Casey - KJ Wright - Richard Sherman - Isaiah Oliver - Bryce Callahan - Derwin James - Ronnie Harrison
Rookies to Watch - Michael Jordan - Elgton Jenkins - Rashan Gary - Joejuan Williams

Analysis - Cuba has a number of fantastic pieces on offenses.  Julio and Cooks are an awesome 1-2 tandem and their OL should be very good this year.  While there are some holes elsewhere, the bigger concern is in the backfield.  Watson keeps getting obliterated behind a poor RL offensive line, and Cook had been limited to 15 games his first two years.  If they both stay healthy and play to their potential, this offense should be great.  Especially if Ian Thomas turns into a consistent player.  Cuba has two elite DTs, an underrated secondary, and some solid-to-very good linebackers.  However, they may have the worst edge situation in BDL.  They desperately need a couple of their young guys to step up now.  If they get an edge rush and their backfield isn’t beat to hell, this team could finish above 7th. 

Love the writeup, Rags.

1. Ouch on the edge rushers bc Jerry Hughes is a terrific player.  

2. It would be a great thing if Ian Thomas could contribute.

3. You did a great job with this. Commend yourself!

• Like 1