Packers to Hire Titans OC Matt LaFleur as Head Coach

49erurtaza

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

cometh, sista

PGG9CUA.jpg

i was stuck between quoting the Bible and using the “pride comes before a fall” line but just ended up fusing them cause I can’t make my own decisions cause I’m a 26 year old man living at his moms house 

The Titans offense sucked because they lack offensive talent, not because LaFleur is a bad OC. You can polish a turd all you want but it's still a turd. I'm stoked that LaFleur is the guy. Was one of my top 3 after doing my due diligence. Excited to see what he can do with 12.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

The Titans offense sucked because they lack offensive talent, not because LaFleur is a bad OC. You can polish a turd all you want but it's still a turd. I'm stoked that LaFleur is the guy. Was one of my top 3 after doing my due diligence. Excited to see what he can do with 12.

Yes and no. We lacked offensive talent but his playcalling was also poor. His inexperience was very evident and though I agree he wasn’t necessarily bad, he also wasn’t good either. As I posted in the Packer forum, Rodgers will be able to mask his deficiencies he hasn’t grown from yet.  He’ll probably end up looking like a genius since he’ll have Rodgers under center instead of Mariota and will probably be crowned as the new best young offensive mind. But after seeing his stint here I’ll be of the mindset that it’s still just Rodgers being great rather than LaFleur being this young guru making things click like McVay is. Best of luck to him though, he really is a good guy and I wish it would have worked out better in Tennessee.

34 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Yes and no. We lacked offensive talent but his playcalling was also poor. His inexperience was very evident and though I agree he wasn’t necessarily bad, he also wasn’t good either. As I posted in the Packer forum, Rodgers will be able to mask his deficiencies he hasn’t grown from yet.  He’ll probably end up looking like a genius since he’ll have Rodgers under center instead of Mariota and will probably be crowned as the new best young offensive mind. But after seeing his stint here I’ll be of the mindset that it’s still just Rodgers being great rather than LaFleur being this young guru making things click like McVay is. Best of luck to him though, he really is a good guy and I wish it would have worked out better in Tennessee.

but mcvay had terrible years in washington as an OC so he sucks too right? Look at that talent he has in LA now.

4 hours ago, Tyty said:

My favorite story I’ve ever heard about McVay (not to take anything away from him tho, he has my ‘spect) was when the media was raving about him knowing the names of the players on the bears defense as if that made him the Stephen hawking of football. Every head coach should know the names of the opposing team’s starters lol

Why can't they just know the numbers? 

Think expecting Rodgers to just make up his own Offense is kinda missing what's been wrong in GB all these years.
It's the problem sometimes with the playcalling and team around tremendously gifted QB talent.

The staff doesn't dial in and scheme fit, they leave everything open and gameplanning gets stale. Instead of focusing on 30 plays/variations mostly the whole playbook stays open and it's hard to find rhythm. Happened this year with Carson and the Eagles, little bit last year too. Saw it a lot with the Colts the last 20 years. You saw this year Reich schemed to Andrew Luck to tremendous results.

The reason the Eagles have stepped up when Foles game in the last two years is because the Defense knew it'd be more on them now and stepped up and the staff narrowed the playbook and got back to finding rhythm in drives. Green Bay has seemed to lack that for years.

I think a good scheme for Rodgers is one that focuses his amazing release and arm, build a running game and let him kill people with playaction. 
The bonus there is yea sometimes he can run it and extend plays. But that won't be every single play like it has seemed to have been for 6+ years.

There is some of that in Lafleur's background, if they can get a back and use him like the Rams do Gurley they can look even better than that offense looks in LA.
But we'll see...this was probably too soon for him, but worse looking hires have worked out.

6 hours ago, dtait93 said:

If Rodgers is allowed to basically run his own offense, we will see about the same thing we’ve seen here for the last few season, which has been an offense that hasn’t been run well at all. No creativity and relying on Rodgers pure talent to get by, which isn’t enough on it’s own. If our offense turns into a powerhouse again, it’ll be because LaFeur and Rodgers are working together as a team and building an offense to utilize everyone’s strength. Time will tell. 

Archived