Cardinals Hire Kliff Kingsburry as next Head Coach

49erurtaza

4 minutes ago, mistakey said:

kliff will have gotten the chance to teach mahomes, baker and rosen

And even chose Mahomes over Baker at one point. Which I know it's WAY to early to tell but so far it looks like the right choice between the two.

I will say this - if you are as bad as ARI was on O, and you thought it was a good idea to have Mike McCoy as the guy in charge of your O, this is 1000x better.

Kingsbury might flame out and fail - but at least he has the potential to be an innovator, and bring a wide-open style, quick decision, quick-strike O that Rosen is really well suited for.  And I guarantee he will get better usage out of David Johnson than ARI got last year.   Christian Kirk will fit an uptempo O very nicely as well.   

Now, 2 HUGE caveats - they literally need 3, if not 4 OL upgrades, and it's only 3 if Justin Pugh can return to health, which seems iffy.  That ARI OL was perhaps the worst in modern history post-cap era.  That's going to get Rosen and DJ killed.  That's literally priority 1.  They also need a 2nd WR to pair with Kirk (Fitz is great, but they need more weapons).     Without a real OL upgrade, this isn't working.   And to be really uptempo, a 2nd WR weapon to go with Kirk long-term (Fitz isn't long-term lol) is essential. 

Still, I'm going to hold off on judging this one - ARI was the 1.1 pick for a reason.   They weren't going to get safe, established O minds to take this job on.  So you have to take chances if you want to accelerate the growth curve.   I mean, worst-case, they fire him after 2 seasons.   Right now, a safe hire would likely be gone in 2-3 seasons regardless.  This isn't a team that's contending next year, 2020 is best-case, and 2021 more likely even if a lot goes right.   So might as well try to go for the home run O upgrade pick.

10 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

And even chose Mahomes over Baker at one point. Which I know it's WAY to early to tell but so far it looks like the right choice between the two.

Not sure you could go wrong either way. Mahomes has obviously been phenomenal but I'm unsure how sustainable his success is. Baker is a rookie who's gotten better and better throughout the year, set the Passing TD record for rookies while starting in only 13 games, and was the major reason Cleveland was competitive for the first time in over a decade. All while having by far inferior coaching and supporting cast than Mahomes.

I'd probably give the edge to Mahomes at this point, too, but it's virtually a toss up which one would prefer long-term. At least to me.

16 minutes ago, Danger said:

I've heard a lot of teams have shown interest in him. I just don't understand for the life of me, why?

Young offensive mind with an Air Raid background, and when he walks into interviews he gets to claim credit for Mahomes. Every team wants the next McVay right now - young offensive guru - and Kingsbury fits that potential mold. Goes double for a team like Arizona who has a young QB they're trying to develop. 

Depending on what kind of staff he can build it's not a terrible idea but certainly remains to be seen what kind of leader Kingsbury is. McVay hasn't just been successful because he's some young whizkid, he's clearly a strong leader who was able to get the locker room to buy into him. He also worked in NFL locker rooms for a while beforehand whereas Kingsbury has only ever dealt with kids. 

This either ends Rosen throwing for 5,000 yards and 40 TD's next year or Kliff and Rosen getting arrested together after a 'scouting trip' to visit some ASU coeds. Or maybe both. 

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Not sure you could go wrong either way. Mahomes has obviously been phenomenal but I'm unsure how sustainable his success is. Baker is a rookie who's gotten better and better throughout the year, set the Passing TD record for rookies while starting in only 13 games, and was the major reason Cleveland was competitive for the first time in over a decade.

Yeah I'm not saying it's a definitive choice by any means or in no way knocking Baker -- (both were the only QB's in the last 2 drafts I thought could actually turn into something, not even Mitch). It's way too early for that. I'm only saying how things seems as of right this second, not the future. 

9 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yeah I'm not saying it's a definitive choice by any means or in no way knocking Baker -- (both were the only QB's in the last 2 drafts I thought could actually turn into something, not even Mitch). It's way too early for that. I'm only saying how things seems as of right this second, not the future. 

That's fair... but both QBs wildly exceeded my expectations for them this season. Obviously what Mahomes is doing in KC is nothing short of breathtaking, but considering Baker is a true rookie, on a pretty bad Browns team dealing with chuckleheads like Hue Jackson and Todd Haley for half the season, Baker's season was just as impressive and honestly more shocking than Mahomes lighting it up with Reid and an offense with talent at literally every position.

How would Baker do as a Chief and how would Mahomes do as a Brown this season? Well... obviously, all one can do is speculate but I'd imagine they'd fair about the same as their counterpart (not to say they have the same skillset but Baker would almost certainly be lighting it up on KC and Mahomes would have an up and down, but ultimately impressive season if he were on the Browns the whole year)

Archived