Around The League V.2

Totty

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

I forgot which player said it but he mentioned that 80% of the league smokes including coaches lol

I wouldn't doubt it.  I wonder who would be fun to hang and smoke with in the league?  I bet Gronk would be a blast.

80% of the league smoking pot regularly, which I’d consider to be 1+ time a week, seems quite high to me.  I’m sure a lot of players do, whether it be for fun or to manage pain / replace narcotic pain pills, but I tend to think the number is significantly less. I’d guess it’s in the 1/3 to 1/2 range.

Edited by jimkelly02

10 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Sounds nice but really would you want your negotiations with your own employer to be public knowledge? Obviously once contracts are signed they are made public but what about the players privacy, its already kind of intrusive knowing what each player makes really, don’t think there’s any need to delve deeper into who turned down what and when.

I agree with all of that not to mention contracts are quite often very detailed and such a system would require massive legal work in drafting contracts up just to post them for the fans to see.  You couldn’t have a system just post “3yrs, 36m” it would have to have all the incentives in there.  That’s way too much work just to appease the fridge extreme fans like people on here that are interested in that stuff.  I’d sure love to see it but wouldn’t rationalize the nfl and nflpa doing it.
The NFLPA website use to have a back door where visitors could see contract details but it got closed up.  The salary cap websites have various methods of getting their data but the nfl doesn’t officially post contract details or salary cap info outside of individual articles and such.  
From the players perspective there’s no incentive to allow their contracts to be posted to the public. 

7 hours ago, Jerry said:

This is why you never count your chickens before they hatch.

So many fans go into seasons thinking their teams are SB bound and then star players go down.  

lucky for us we already know, like most years over the last 3 decades, that we are not Super Bowl bound. I hope everyone stays healthy, but the unfortunate injury of a top player isn’t going to effect our minute chances.  

6 hours ago, Jerry said:

Saquon really folded like a cheap lawn chair.  I don't know what Jacobs is asking for, but at least he sticks to his guns.  I respect Jacobs for sticking with what he believes in.  I don't know if it will work out in his favor but at least he's trying.

I have a ton of respect for Jacobs.  That man lived with his dad and siblings in a car for several years.  He got through that ordeal and surely learned determination.  People like that are hard to break.  He may be willing to see this holdout pretty far.  

I hope he gets every penny he deserves.  He’s carried this team for 2 years.  He’s earned that second deal.  I can’t fathom why most fans, or so it’s seems to me, want star players to get paid as little as possible... which is siding with the billionaire owners.  Now, I’m not one to hate on the rich without a valid reason, but I do side with a man like jacobs who has performed well enough to get a long term deal.  The difference in what he wants and what the front office offered would only get carried over/not spent or used in a manor which I’d consider misappropriation.  

I don’t see many fans beside myself and a few people that may have liked my post criticizing paying Jimmy G 22.5M.  The guy took paycut down to 6.5m last year and got hurt after only 10 games.  I’m convinced no other teams were offering 22M, especially with his injury situation.  Heck, he probably didn’t get another offer for $15m.  That’s who they should have got tough with at negotiating table, not Jacobs. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Sounds nice but really would you want your negotiations with your own employer to be public knowledge? Obviously once contracts are signed they are made public but what about the players privacy, its already kind of intrusive knowing what each player makes really, don’t think there’s any need to delve deeper into who turned down what and when.

Apples to Oranges.  As you said, we already get the gritty details after they sign anyway.  This would just allow us to know for sure that a contract was offered and if it was fair or not.  Cut out all the BS.

11 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

80% of the league smoking pot regularly, which I’d consider to be 1+ time a week, seems quite high to me.  I’m sure a lot of players do, whether it be for fun or to manage pain / replace narcotic pain pills, but I tend to think the number is significantly less. I’d guess it’s in the 1/3 to 1/2 range.

The true number is impossible to know as it was just one players opinion. I know the last several years players prefer to use it for pain and rest instead of the cocktail of prescription meds + shots. The stories of Brett Farve taking 30+ pills a day to deal with pain are hopefully over.

10 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

The true number is impossible to know as it was just one players opinion. I know the last several years players prefer to use it for pain and rest instead of the cocktail of prescription meds + shots. The stories of Brett Farve taking 30+ pills a day to deal with pain are hopefully over.

Yeah by no means so I proclaim to know the percentage. That was just my opinion. 

weed definitely has medicinal value for pain. But it does have its limits.  You can really only manage moderate at best  pain with it.  

We’ve all heard the Brett farve story… to which I’ll say:

1.  He wasn’t managing pain, he was as an opiate addict, who like many people were addicted thru poor medical care.  
2.  30 Vic 10s really isn’t a lot of drugs… aside from Tylenol… it’s a ridiculous amount of Tylenol though.  That’ll kill you faster than the amount of opiate.  Vicodin at the time was considered strong but there really not.  in the early Florida pill mill days we use to get 120 - 150 OxyContin 80s plus 180 perc30s and 60 xanny 2mg bars a month…. From a handful of doctors.  Then opana’s came out and we’re 2x as strong as Oxys.  
3.  Hopefully weed prevents as many players as possible from getting addicted to pain medication.  Its been a pandemic for 20 years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, true2form said:

Apples to Oranges.  As you said, we already get the gritty details after they sign anyway.  This would just allow us to know for sure that a contract was offered and if it was fair or not.  Cut out all the BS.

But don’t get the details from the nfl or NFLPA, both of whom would have to agree to have such a system as you detailed but it goes against their own interests.

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Didn't last the first week of Ravens camp. 

Well a little context here he failed to report a non football injury. Still think he can play some if/when healthy. But this seem like he didn't want them to know he was injured then he could fake the injury on the field or something.

• Like 1